Tires wear on rear axle

I have taken my Mallard RV out twice and the second time I noticed that i have tremendous tire wear on my rear set of axles. What is causing this? i was told a lot of things by Camping world but i have come to the conclusion that i think they are just trying to get extra money from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Where is the wear...

On the inside or outside edges of the tire...or in the center?

If on the inside of the tire then you either have too much weight in the trailer (which is what it will most likely be blamed on by the dealership), or you have a bent axle, which means that the axle has gone flat.

I'm guessing that this is what is going on with your TT.

By the way...you do know that you don't have to take your TT back to Camping World for warranty service...or any service, for that matter.

And I advise that you don't.

Which Colorado Camping World did you purchase from?

So the wear is on the inside of the tires they are replacing the axle and yes that is whites going on with my TT. I know I have other places i can it take it to get fixed which we will once this get taken care. Since the tires are worn does the warranty cover such things as getting new tires for the ones that have been worn due to faulty/bent axle?

Where is the wear...

On the inside or outside edges of the tire...or in the center?

If on the inside of the tire then you either have too much weight in the trailer (which is what it will most likely be blamed on by the dealership), or you have a bent axle, which means that the axle has gone flat.

I'm guessing that this is what is going on with your TT.

By the way...you do know that you don't have to take your TT back to Camping World for warranty service...or any service, for that matter.

And I advise that you don't.

Which Colorado Camping World did you purchase from?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So the wear is on the inside of the tires they are replacing the axle and yes that is whites going on with my TT. I know I have other places i can it take it to get fixed which we will once this get taken care. Since the tires are worn does the warranty cover such things as getting new tires for the ones that have been worn due to faulty/bent axle?

I doubt that the warranty will cover the tires...but you can always press the issue with Camping World!

What is the brand name on the tires that came on it?

Let us know so that if you upgrade we can adviser on perhaps a better brand that what comes from the factory.

73e18824-2c07-4dea-acb6-5707c7e0292a

Attachments

• 7566CA4B-99A7-4051-B89F-9B7D211DF90B.jpg
    7566CA4B-99A7-4051-B89F-9B7D211DF90B.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 4673A38D-8590-4C19-82C5-2B5F75A3843F.jpg
    4673A38D-8590-4C19-82C5-2B5F75A3843F.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 58

danemayer

If the axle is being replaced under warranty, it's Lippert or Dexter that's providing that warranty coverage. It's worth having the dealer ask them to cover the tires too as the tire wear would appear to have been caused by the axle defect. If you have to, call Lippert or Dexter customer service directly to discuss.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you have the same wear on both tires of the axle, take a look at your axle, it should have an upward arch to it.
If not then it is defective and should be replaced under warranty.

Peace
Davef

mlpeloquin

Look for a semi truck/trailer alignment center. They will realign the axle so your tires run properly. A replacement axle will work as well. I will be doing an alignment on my fifth wheel again after going across the country, 10K miles. Two of my tires are starting to wear on the inside. The alignment consists of an alignment using lasers and bending the axle back to specifications. For the fifth wheel it cost around $356.00. A lot cheaper than an axle replacement. Alignments are not covered by Heartland or Lippert. Being over weight will bend them as well so get weighed fully loaded for a trip to make sure.