Tires

MCTalley

The sidewalls are not stamped with "Directional" an Arrow or "This side in" or "This side out". It looks like they can be mounted in any direction... But, I am going to make sure the ends of the cross grooves point backwards, just for the heck of it.

If you look carefully at the tread pattern, the cross-grooves are much shallower than the longitudinal grooves. After about 25k miles, the cross grooves will wear off and you'll just have the longitudinal grooves remaining.

However, when I had an installer move my G614 from my original spare rim to a matching rim I bought to replace it, he pointed to a green dot stamped onto the sidewall and mentioned that someone put the tire on the spare rim backwards. Not sure if that means anything.

tireman9

We were recently returning from a tour of the western states. We were leaving Las Vegas headed for Fresno California. We have a 2014 3070 Bighorn behind a 2014 F350 King Ranch. About 10 miles east of Mojave when the front left tire on the Bighorn blew. I use a TireMinder and monitor the pressure regularly. It appears this was a catastrophic event. I put on the spare and continued on to Fresno. This was Saturday. On Monday 9/22/14, I contacted Dynamic Tire Corporation, filed a claim. The tire was a Power King Towmax STR ST235/80/R16E. TDC recommend Les Schwab as a dealer. I had the tire mounted at Schwab an took it home. On Tuesday I removed the spare and bolted on the new tire. Wednesday I took the fiver to the Heartland dealer for an estimate of the damage. The dealer looked at the tires and suggested I take the rig to Schwab and have them look at the remaining three tires. I pulled into Les Schwab's, a technician looked at the tires and said drop the rig where it is, your right front is ready to blow, and the other two are separating. I figure I have about 8,500 miles on the tires, the rig is a year old, and stored indoors. Anyone else having issues with the Power King Towmax tires?

Douglas "John" Johnson

I didn't see a mention of the individual tire loads, tire cold set inflation. Have any pictures of the failed tires? Do you know the DOT serial?

tireman9

As a retired police officer and former mechanic, I recommend everyone who has had a Towmax fail report it in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm ). They only display the 50 most recent complaints... And Towmax complaints hit 50 since June. This is astounding considering few people know of this site for reporting tire complaints. We had a catastrophic failure a week ago and have replaced all our tires with Goodyears. Here is our NHTSA report:
"Saturday, 9/20/14, we drove approx 300 miles from FL on interstates 95 and 26, speed 65 mph or lower, with 2014 Heartland Bighorn 5th wheel trailer. Tire pressure (80 psi) and lug torque (120 ft/lb) checked before departure. Exited I-26 in Lexington SC and had driven 2-3 miles, speeds 35 and under, on surface street when left rear tire blew, separating 2/3 of the tread circumference creating a 3 1/2 foot long 8 inch wide steel belted flail that destroyed the lower valance and wheel well on left main slide, throwing debris on adjacent traffic. Thankfully, due to low speed at time (20-25), there were no injuries, damage to other vehicles or loss of vehicle control. Trailer purchased new Jan 2014 and had less than 1500 miles total use. Internet search revealed LOTS of similar stories and a full complaint log (50) since 6/14 on NHTSA site. No faith in these tires; replaced two (all the local Goodyear tire dealer had on a Sunday) but will replace them all when available. Heartland and TBC, the tire maker (?) will hear as well. Serious safety hazard!"

Good report but there is a serious problem NHTSA needs the FULL DOT serial. Without that your report is really not actionable. This would be like sauing there is a defect in my Chevy but not providing the VIN and expecting NHTSA to know what model or year the car was built.