Tires

Jim.Allison

Yes you are correct I was looking at the LT265/75R 16 123/125 R E seems to be about .9 inches or so on every meaningful dimension, resulting in about .5 inches on either side of your rim. Hardly a consideration for another 400 lbs per tire load and $650 vs $1200 per set for the Michelin. Worth discussion? I installed G114 for 1 inch width change and encountered no difficulty.

Please read the spec charts LT 235-85-16 LR-E Have a load rating of 3042 lbs @ 80 psi ,you probably looked at LT 265-75-16 LR-E they about are the same diameter but wider and have a load rating of 3416 ibs @ 80 psi. I have used these tires for years for the ratings both on my trucks and trailers before I went to 18 inch on the new trucks.

nfrierson

We were recently returning from a tour of the western states. We were leaving Las Vegas headed for Fresno California. We have a 2014 3070 Bighorn behind a 2014 F350 King Ranch. About 10 miles east of Mojave when the front left tire on the Bighorn blew. I use a TireMinder and monitor the pressure regularly. It appears this was a catastrophic event. I put on the spare and continued on to Fresno. This was Saturday. On Monday 9/22/14, I contacted Dynamic Tire Corporation, filed a claim. The tire was a Power King Towmax STR ST235/80/R16E. TDC recommend Les Schwab as a dealer. I had the tire mounted at Schwab an took it home. On Tuesday I removed the spare and bolted on the new tire. Wednesday I took the fiver to the Heartland dealer for an estimate of the damage. The dealer looked at the tires and suggested I take the rig to Schwab and have them look at the remaining three tires. I pulled into Les Schwab's, a technician looked at the tires and said drop the rig where it is, your right front is ready to blow, and the other two are separating. I figure I have about 8,500 miles on the tires, the rig is a year old, and stored indoors. Anyone else having issues with the Power King Towmax tires?

Douglas "John" Johnson

Nearly an identical story for us but we were headed west in Oregon to the coast when we had a blowout of the same tire on our Bighorn 3370. Less than 5,000 miles on the tires. The blowout ripped the plastic fender off and blasted the metal siding. We also went to Les Schwab and arranged for them to come out to the state park where we were staying for a week. We replaced all 4 tires with 14-ply and will replace the spare when we get home (only 4 in-stock at Les Schwab). I plan to report it on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm ) as recommended in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20140918_094737_943.jpg
    IMG_20140918_094737_943.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20140918_095055_808.jpg
    IMG_20140918_095055_808.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 59

FiremanBill

All hail King Blowmax! we lost 2 on one trip less than a year old.

Worst tires ever made!!!

Attachments

• blowmax.jpg
    blowmax.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 56

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland is now using Saliun or Goodyear on the larger 5vers (LM, BH, BC). They did listen and did make a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slborba

Exactly. I just did a factory tour today of the LM, BH, BC production line and saw 11 units (LM 365 and BH only) under construction and every one had the G114s. I didn't see any Saliuns.

Steve

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I changed the tires on my Bighorn the day I got it. I started with Michelin XPS Ribs. They were very good but still only had a 3042# rating. However I now have 17.5" rims with G114's and have had no problem what so ever. That may have been an expensive decision but I do not have any worry about loosing a tire and damaging my trailer. In my opinion if you have or get one of the bigger trailers, Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country and/or full time you would be safer with 17.5" tires.

FWIW
BC

FiremanBill

I changed the tires on my Bighorn the day I got it.

While I certainly understand why you did it I find it amazing that we are willing to do that sort of thing. I mean we spend upwards of $50grand plus on these things and are willing to accept the fact that we should change the tires immediately upon delivery because they suck??? No way would we do that with our trucks or cars. We expect to get a good quality product when we buy, or at least I do anyway.

This has been my one and only beef with Heartland. I am sure glad to hear they are not using these POS tires anymore so new folks don't have to go through what some of us have. At least they finally got it right.

Jim.Allison

WOW!!!!! Think they were special order? That is one heck of a tire. I have a set and they are overkill, the 614 would have done the job easily. I did not know this until I weighed my unit. Towmax was full of beans when they told me my blown tire had been overloaded. To go from 3520 to 4500+ is quite a jump, but one that will surely demonstrate that the user did absolutely everything in their power to eliminate tire problems.

I only saw G114s on the units that were under construction when I toured the plant.

Steve

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
WOW!!!!! Think they were special order? That is one heck of a tire. I have a set and they are overkill, the 614 would have done the job easily. I did not know this until I weighed my unit. Towmax was full of beans when they told me my blown tire had been overloaded. To go from 3520 to 4500+ is quite a jump, but one that will surely demonstrate that the user did absolutely everything in their power to eliminate tire problems.

They were probably new Landmark 365s under construction. They come with the G114s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While I certainly understand why you did it I find it amazing that we are willing to do that sort of thing. I mean we spend upwards of $50grand plus on these things and are willing to accept the fact that we should change the tires immediately upon delivery because they suck??? No way would we do that with our trucks or cars. We expect to get a good quality product when we buy, or at least I do anyway.

This has been my one and only beef with Heartland. I am sure glad to hear they are not using these POS tires anymore so new folks don't have to go through what some of us have. At least they finally got it right.

It is not just Heartland that is putting these tires on their trailers. I talked to a guy yesterday that has a Montana and he changed his tires out also. I think all the manufacturers put on the tires that will handle the trailers at their indicated weight. Many of us want to carry the entire house and the kitchen sink and think the should be no problem. All companies are in business to make a profit. The airlines removed pillows to cut costs. If you want a trailer that has all the parts to your specifications you would probably be like me and not be able to afford it. A Mobil Suite may have most of what you want but you like the rest of us chose a trailer that we could afford. I just added the things I wanted a little bit at a time and now I pretty well have everything I wanted.
I am not dissing you so please do not be offended by my comments. To me this is just a fact of life. I will probably never buy another trailer and will run this one into the ground or croke first.

FWIW
BC

BTW the guy with the Montana reads this forum. He came up to me in Declo ID at the Village of Trees campground and knew who I was because of my trailer and the bike rack on the front. That was a very interesting meeting. If you are reading this forum please pipe in and say hi to me...

FiremanBill

It is not just Heartland that is putting these tires on their trailers. I talked to a guy yesterday that has a Montana and he changed his tires out also. I think all the manufacturers put on the tires that will handle the trailers at their indicated weight. Many of us want to carry the entire house and the kitchen sink and think the should be no problem. All companies are in business to make a profit. The airlines removed pillows to cut costs. If you want a trailer that has all the parts to your specifications you would probably be like me and not be able to afford it. A Mobil Suite may have most of what you want but you like the rest of us chose a trailer that we could afford. I just added the things I wanted a little bit at a time and now I pretty well have everything I wanted.
I am not dissing you so please do not be offended by my comments. To me this is just a fact of life. I will probably never buy another trailer and will run this one into the ground or croke first.

FWIW
BC

BTW the guy with the Montana reads this forum. He came up to me in Declo ID at the Village of Trees campground and knew who I was because of my trailer and the bike rack on the front. That was a very interesting meeting. If you are reading this forum please pipe in and say hi to me...

I get what you are saying as well and trust me, I am not offended. Still though, if Dodge/ford/chevy, or whoever else put on a tire that could handle the truck empty but was prone to blowing out when I got a load of dirt or gravel or whatever then **** people wouldn't put up with it. Why do we put up with it. And you are right, it's not just Heartland. My next door neighbor had an outback with the same blowmax tires. There is profit then there is safety and liability. Just the fact that they have stopped using these tires now indicates they knew there was a problem. Why did it take so long to stop doing it.

Not bashing, just stating the facts. And I'll reiterate, I love my Cyclone. Like you I will keep it a good long while.

Last edited by a moderator:

xlrEAGLE1

I am changing my Tow Max tires Monday to the G614's since the rimes that came on my 3160EL are rated at 110 psi. Does anyone know the size of the lugs and their thread count on the 6000# axels. I want to add some locking lug nuts to protect these priced like gold tires!!! I just don't know what size/thread count the lugs are in order to order the right sized lug nuts.

xlrEAGLE1

Okay, I just got my new G614's home after having them mounted to the rims. Does anyone know which direction the tread pattern need to be placed on the coach? Do the ends of the cross grooves face forward or do they face backwards? The only reason I ask is the installler told me he had laid them in my truck accordingly, but I forgot to look before unloading them and mixing them up. I looked at the sidewalls and don;t see any arrows, common on directional tires, but I assume it matters because the corss grooves would run in differnt directions if care of proper placement isn't taken.

xlrEAGLE1

I don't think 614's are directional.

I didn't think so either, but I do see that the tread patterns will face opposite directions if you just randomly install them. That is a bit odd, especially after the installation tech made the comments to me. He was careful to explain to me that he loaded them in the bed of my truck according to which side they need to be installed on. I don't know though.

danemayer

Crawl underneath to see if all the sidewall information is stamped on the inside as well as the outside. If only on the outside, they're mounted correctly.

xlrEAGLE1

Crawl underneath to see if all the sidewall information is stamped on the inside as well as the outside. If only on the outside, they're mounted correctly.

The sidewalls are not stamped with "Directional" an Arrow or "This side in" or "This side out". It looks like they can be mounted in any direction... But, I am going to make sure the ends of the cross grooves point backwards, just for the heck of it.