Titan Fuel Tank Users

ricatic

When I traded my 2011 Ford I removed the 50 gallon Titan and re-installed the OEM tank...now I have a Titan Tank with a sending unit still installed sitting in my garage..it would look good on somebody's truck...:cool::cool::cool:

Regards

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had a failure at one of the welds on my tank but a quick trip to the local welding shop fixed me right up. Not a very expensive repair at all.

ncc1701e

Re: Titan Fuel Tank Usrers

Right now I'm waiting for Titan to analysis the samples sent to them. There are some areas of concern that we've found inside the tank. We're still very early in the investigation stage. I have been unable to find any references on the net of failures with these tanks. Hard to believe I've had the only potential failure.

Titan has been very easy to work with to this point.

The downside is our truck is down until a resolution is reached.

scottyb

I'm having issues with the re-program by the dealer. My MTE goes to zero when I still have 10 - 12 (actual, not computer calculated) gallons left in the tank. The fuel guage goes to empty long before that and I constantly have to turn off the low fuel warning, sometimes for two full days before I reach the 0 MTE. After all of this, I end up only adding 55-56 gallons of fuel to the 67 gallon tank. I love the tank, and if I can't get these things adjusted, I will have to establish a baseline and know how far I can push it w/o running out.

porthole

Retired

Scott, when mine reads 50 miles to empty I can add about the same. I use two "rough numbers" and always reset the "Trip A" after fueling. I use 10 when towing and 15 when not.

There is a possibility your sending unit was not reinstalled correctly though.

ncc1701e

I heard from Titan this week. The tank will be replaced by Titian under warranty. After looking at the flakes and pictures I sent to them there was little doubt that my tank had suffered an internal failure after only 7 months use. According to Titan, similar tanks used in military vehicles have suffered this type of failures. Mine was suppose to be the first one reported for a POV. Titan is picking up a portion of the expenses for installation and other expenses related to this issue. Overall they have been easy to work with and fair with the settlement. Here are a couple pictures:

Web DSCN0537.jpg DSCN0539.jpg DSCN0528.JPG DSCN0531.jpg

At this point, I'm just wanting to get the new tank installed and get back on the road. For the 7 months of use, all the reasons I wanted a larger tank when pulling were met. If Ford had just put a 37 gallon tank in this particular truck I'd never made the change.

I've been reading the other post about how well or well not the DTE readings are working. For the most part, mine worked fairly well before and I can only hope the Ford tech does as good a job with the new installation. The only thing I noticed at all that when I would fill up the tank I would get two DTE max distance readings. The first at actual fillup and the second after about 7 - 8 gallons of fuel used. The computer shows an estimated gallons used and whenever I filled up I always looked at this and it was usually within a gallon or two of the amount of fuel pumped when fueling.

I don't think I ever ran the tank past 1/4 so I don't know about the lower end of the DTE. But the conversation here is interesting to read.

ricatic

Great news that Titan is replacing the tank...if anyone wants a 50 gallon Titan for a 2011 thru 2013 Ford 6.7 CC SB I have one sitting in my garage, complete with installed sending unit...this makes for a very easy installation...PM me for details...

Regards

rgwilliams69

My DTE seems to be working fairly accurately, right down to the lower range of the tank (10 gallons or less). Note that I have only done this a couple of times though. As someone else said below I just reset Trip A/B and watch the number of gallons used and typically fill back up once I get to 50 or so (or when cheap fuel is available). My gallons used versus actual refill always seems to be off by .25 to 1.25 gallons, so I just use that as an error factor. Last time I got to 51 gallons used on Trip A I was able to put 51.8 gallons back in. That was all good, the $210 fill bill is another issue all together... :)

karlr

Hi all - I'm brand new to the forum here. I found you because I was searching for good information on the Titan tank installs. I have a 2012 diesel F250 fx4 crew cab short bed and had the 50 gallon tank installed about a month ago. I pull a 5th wheel and wanted the extra capacity. In any event I have some concerns/questions. I am concerned about how much the tank hangs especially in the front where it hangs lower than the rear. I'm also concerned because I can get under there and it seems the tank moves quite a bit in the front seems like about an inch or so of play side to side and I can push it up as well. Lastly the installer didn't carve anything out of the skid plate and so the tank is rubbing. lastly I think I have a leak up top but I understand after reading the info here how to deal with that. I would really appreciate any advice/thoughts you folks might have about whether this stuff is normal or not. It's a little disconcerting given that we're talking about fuel. I'm concerned that if I ran over anything at all it would rip this thing right out from under me and I was led to believe that the protective shield I bought with the tank would do a good job of protecting it.

I took some pictures but the forum isn't allowing me to post them - I don't seem to have the permission. but the front probably hangs about an inch lower. There are two main straps supporting the tank, one towards the middle and one towards the rear. I've been looking for side shots showing the installed 50 gallon tank in the F250 crew cab SB but haven't been successful so far.

This seems to be a really great forum; I would really appreciate any help,
Karl

jimtoo

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers from our other members soon that have had the tank installed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mlburst1

Hi Karl,

We also have a 2012 F250 CC diesel shortbed - we had the Titan 50 gallon replacement tank installed in May.

A couple of items don't sound right in your description:

1. our tank is level front to rear, it does not hang down in front
2. our tank is tight - no movement at all either up & down or side to side
3. if it is the correct tank, there is no need to "carve out" the skid plate, the tank is above it
4. no fuel leaks from ours

It sounds like either the wrong tank was installed or it is not installed correctly.

If it was installed by a Titan dealer, I would suggest calling Titan directly and discussing your concerns with them.

Mike

porthole

Retired
As mike said, it doesn't sound right.
I've installed two Titans in the past 5 years with zero issues.

Sounds like your installer screwed up.

Go to the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum and under the 6.7 section you will find plenty if info.

You can also do a YouTube search under the user name "epic cowlick"
Looking for his video of a Titan install.
He does a good job of video documenting some basic chores.

pegmikef

Sounds like a sloppy install. I had the transferflo fifty gallon installed in my 2011 F250 CC diesel and it was level, no movement and the bottom was a little higher than the differential. I don't think there is that much difference between the titan and transferflo tanks as they both use the same space.

piet10

We will be going to Alaska the summer of 2015 when we retire, and I'd like to have a Titan tank for the longer fuel range. I'd like to get it installed this spring while I'm still working and can afford it, and also enjoy it now.

I got a quote from my dealer for the install. He has always been fair to me, plus I want to be sure my warranty is not affected. Also i don't have a good place to install myself. He verbally quoted me $2100, which seemed a little high. If I look online the tank is about $1500, the skid plate $180, he quoted $300 install including reprogramming the computer tanks size. If I add 7.5% sales tax, the back of the envelope total is $2128 which seems to be close to his quote.

My question is, does this seem like a good number? It sounds like most of you who have the Titan like it and think the expense is worth it.

What do you think? I'll be using this in a 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie.

Al

tmcran

Have had Titian 52 gal. for 7 yrs. Never a problem and will get another when I buy different truck. I don't have the skid plate have not had a problem. I'm off road on ranch and oil field roads 3-4 times per week. I didn't reflash the computer and don't see any reason to pay extra to do it. My tank is level, tight as a drum and no leak. I would check all supports and for sure get leaks fixed ASAP. As others say install doesn't sound right.My install was $ 1300 for everything.

mlburst1

Al,

We paid $1309 installed - you may want to look at the installer list on the Titan website and get a quote from one of them.

Mike

pegmikef

I paid $1,200 to have a transferflo 50 gallon tank installed . . included tank, shipping, installation and taxes. Basically the same tank and procedure. The ford house updated my computer free in conjuntion with my next scheduled service.