Titan Fuel Tank Users

scottyb

I have priced up a Titan fuel tank to replace the OEM tank on a 2013 Ford. I have read a couple old topics and a few newer post stating satisfaction with these tanks. I have a couple questions.
1) How has the tank held up for those you who have had it for a couple years or more?
2) Did you have to remove the OEM skid plate? If so, did you add the shield that is available for your tank, and do you do any significant offroads driving that might have tested the shield?
3) Did you have your ECM re-programmed for the larger tank? Did you have to take it to the dealer for this? My dealer wants $200 to do this.

Thanks for your replies.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Titan Fuel Tank Usrers

Don't know about the Titan, but I've got the TransferFlow 56 gallon mid-ship replacement tank. The analog fuel gauge reads it correctly, but the DIC, at least in my '09 GMC, can not be reprogrammed for the increased volume. The TransferFlow tank is aluminized steel and I did not get a skid plate.

pegmikef

I can't speak for titan, but I put in a transferflo (that happened to be what my dealer used and the price and weight were basically the same as titan) fifty gallon tank to replace the OEM a year and a half ago and so far, no problems. Works great.
2) My dealer installed it (wamted to make sure my warranty wasn't affected) so I don't know for sure what they removed, but the transferflo is metal and they said that there was no need for a shield. The tank itself is well above the differential housing (e.g., the housing is more susceptible to damage). We don't do much off road driving.
3) Yes I had the ECM re-programmed for the fifty gallon tank. My dealer didn't know how to do it, but someone in another thread on this forum had provided the procedures which I gave them. I think the dealer charged me around 40 bucks, but I had it done in conjunction with some other service work. Here are the directions that were posted.

Attachments

• TankAdjustment.jpg
    TankAdjustment.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

mlburst1

X2 on the TransferFlow tank - the fuel gauge is actually more accurate than it was originally!

Never bothered to re-program the ECM.

Mike

Phatkd

I have had the Titan for about 4 years now. I have been into some pretty decent mud and off road while hunting in Northern Alberta. The tank has held up very very week. I did not have the ECM reprogrammed and I don't really feel as though I need to. The fuel gauge works fine, just the range display isn't accurate.

2 thumbs up for Titan.

scottyb

Phatkd, thanks for the thumbs up.

Pegmikef, those instructions are priceless. Thanks for locating them. I am going to use it in my negotiations. I certainly don't see $200 worth of work there.

ncc1701e

I have priced up a Titan fuel tank to replace the OEM tank on a 2013 Ford. I have read a couple old topics and a few newer post stating satisfaction with these tanks. I have a couple questions.
1) How has the tank held up for those you who have had it for a couple years or more?
2) Did you have to remove the OEM skid plate? If so, did you add the shield that is available for your tank, and do you do any significant offroads driving that might have tested the shield?
3) Did you have your ECM re-programmed for the larger tank? Did you have to take it to the dealer for this? My dealer wants $200 to do this.

Thanks for your replies.

I've only had my Titan tank in for a few months now. I'm driving a F250 Crew Cab that came standard with a 26.5gal tank. That was like always looking for a fuel stop. The only thing I can tell you about the difference is I love it. With the new tank, my range before filling up (with trailer) is between 400 and 450 miles if pushed to the limit. Before, the range to empty with a stock tank was 250 miles.

I did have the computer reprogrammed so that the MtE was more or less correct. I say that because it does act just a little stange with a full tank. Once I've used about 5 or 6 gallons of fuel the computer calculates a new reading that seems to be pretty accurate. My truck was not an FX4 so it did not have a skid plate. I did however purchase the Titan skid plate and am very glad I did. The Titan folks will tell you that the tank hangs down only two inches below the frame. They are wrong. On the 2013, the tank hangs about 5" or 6" below the frame. Now, since this truck never sees non-paved roads and has 20" tires that is no real issue. In fact, if you look at the truck the bottom of the tank is still just above the bottom of the running boards.

I did not have a good place to work on the change over so I paid my local Ford dealer to do the entire installation ($450). I bought the tank and delivered it to the dealer. I will tell you it took me almost 5 months or so of talking with the dealer to get them comfortable with removing the stock tank and installing this one. It was something they had never done. They were not familiar with a lot of RVers and our stange request.

Tom

porthole

Retired

Scott - I actually do have a Titan in the new Ford. And it is my second Titan. Had one in my GMC.

Had it in the GM for 5 years - no issues.
Going on the 2nd year with the Ford - no issues.

HDPE (plastic) fuel tanks have been in use since the late 70's. There were issues when they first came out but they have been resolved. The nay-sayers will say steel is the only way to go, but plastic has proven its "mettle"

The transfer skid plate for some had to be notched. Mine fit with no issues. Don't even remember if the factory had a skid plate, although I'm sure it did because of the option packages.
I did get the optional titan skid cover.

Off-road for me is my driveway. But, back to plastic versus steel. I think the plastic will take any beating that the steel tank would and then some.

I had the reprogramming done, and I think the instructions posted above were mine. I had to take the instructions to my dealer, they did not know about it.

Your dealer is absolutely ripping you off at $200. It will take longer to bring the truck in from the lot then it will to set the MTE.

Follow the instructions, don't go in just for the MTE, wait till you have something else done where they will be connecting the OASIS.
My dealer did it at no charge.

The setting only affects MTE. The fuel gauge will work as normal, within the range of normal for fuel gauges.

Whether you install the tank yourself or have it done, it is imperative that you follow the instructions with regards to the sending unit installation.
I would be more concerned if I was having it installed. Too many workers take shortcuts.

It is expensive, but I did not want the tank in the bed. 65 gallons will give you almost 600 miles of towing with a reserve.
The Titan skid plate/bottom cover is really over priced.

porthole

Retired

Along with Tom's comment about installing the Titan. It is really no different then any fuel tank. Goes in the same way, mounts the same way and uses all the factory connections. It does use Titan specific brackets.

Mine only drops below the frame a bit, maybe 2", if that. But I have a long bed, that could be the difference.

At least on the Ford long bed, the tank gets its capacity increase for the most part in length, using un-used space under the body. These pics are my tanks.

2 hours in my driveway, start to finish, taking my time. Just start with a near empty tank.

Attachments

• Fuel_tank_00.jpg
    Fuel_tank_00.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Fuel_tank_01.jpg
    Fuel_tank_01.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 196

porthole

Retired

So, you do it yourself or have it done. What do you do with the old tank?

With my GM I kept it for while. Got tired of it in my shed and disposed of it after thoroughly cleaning it (recycling center).

When I listed my GMC on Craig’s list I had two prices listed. One price with all the add-ons I did, and one with most stuff removed.

I had kept the exhaust system, exhaust manifold, intake and a variety of other stuff.
I had several people contact me and offer $500-600 for the Titan if I did the “no option” sale. That 5-600 would have paid for half of the Ford’s Titan.

Lesson learned. The Titan in the GMC probably did not make a difference in the sale of the truck. The Ford OEM tank was cleaned out and I made a plate for the sending unit hole. Sealed it up and it is in the basement.

If anything happens to the truck (wrecked etc), traded in or sold, the titan is coming out.

Lynn1130

I can't give you specifics for the Ford but I love my Titan in the Duramax. I no longer search for stations on long trips with the trailer in tow. My range is around 500-600 miles while towing and 1100-1200 with no trailer. It fits in place of the stock and I did get the Titan skid plate which is recommended if you do off road driving, and I do often. I had an EFI program done to the ECM to correct the DIC. It also gives you the advantage of filling when you find good fuel prices.

As someone mentioned after putting the Titan in their truck, "now if my bladder would only go as long as the tank I would be in good shape" but then I would have to stop for the wife's breaks anyway.

Last edited:

scottyb

Good information. I know that I could install the tank myself. I wasn't sure about warranty issues and thought that if I have it installed as part of the the package, it wouldn't be a problem. Besides, I got what I think is a good deal on the installation, from a reputable dealer that I have used for a long time.

I am no stranger to HDPE. It has been used for municipal utilities for many years, after the polybutylene disaster. We have installed HDPE water pipe, natural gas pipe with fused joints, and storm drains as large as 48" diameter, under public roadways. It will probably be araound long after we are gone. This is XLHDPE, crosslinked, MIL Spec stuff.

tmcran

Very. Happy with the Titian. Had it for almost 5 yrs. Love it. Next truck will have Titian. No skid plate. No problem. Do 4,wheeling and have drive over some very rough ranch roads. Didn't change EMC, guage ok. Would sure not pay for that. Also big for me was having the bed space.

brianharrison

I installed the Titan - echo all of Duane's comments. I will remove the Titan before I sell the truck. No issues or concerns.

Here is a link with pictures of my install.

Brian

pegmikef

I had the reprogramming done, and I think the instructions posted above were mine. I had to take the instructions to my dealer, they did not know about it.

Duane, you are correct! You posted the instructions a year ago. I saved them because I will probably be getting a new Ford Truck within a year or so. Thanks again. Mike

ricatic

I was one of the earliest buyers of the Titan tank when it became available for the 2011 Ford. My nephew and I installed the tank in less than two hours in the garage. Like Porthole mentioned, make sure you are very diligent when installing the fuel sending unit. The only problems I have heard about concerning the Titan installs were caused water infiltration due to improper installation of the sending unit.

The MTE reading can be changed in five minutes if the dealer tech knows what he is doing. But like Porthole suggests, have it done when you are in the shop for a different concern.

Regards

scottyb

I had the tank installed as part of my purchase. The cost of the installation through the dealer and re-programming was less than $100 above my cost to have it installed. I have not ran enough fuel through it yet to see how accurate the guage will be. I was a little shocked at how low it hangs below the frame. It reminds me of the DEF tanks on the new GM's. I am a little concerned about it's well being, since I do a lot of off roads driving at work, almost every day, and usually put my skid plates to the test. Hopefully the shield will take all of the abuse. Time will tell.

rgwilliams69

I am on my second Ford Super Duty with a Titan tank. This time I have the 65 gal on my F350 DRW. I had the dealer install (a dealer I have done business with for 20+ years mind you) they charged 2 hours labor and did not charge any extra for the reprogramming. On a recent trip to Florida the fuel gauge and DTE worked fine - pretty accurate when I tracked how many gallons used on the computer versus how many gallons I had to put back in, and taking into account my average MGP. I have noticed I get better DTE data when I set the computer to "towing" versus "normal". Not sure what the algorithm difference is, but it seems to recalculate more often. No shield on mine as I don't off-road much, but you do notice the new tank hanging lower, maybe 2" or so?

On the Ford 6.7 Forum there are a lot of comments about dealers and the reprogramming - some wanting to charge a lot, some not knowing it was even possible, etc. For my original titan on my F250 I was told by the tech that there wasn't an option to change the tank size. I printed the instructions from the Ford Forum and we hooked up the computer and hey, there the setting were just like advertised! Now they know how to do it so the F350 they just went in and set it as part of the install. My dealer sells and services several diesel trucks, but they are just a small town shop. These trucks are so complicated these days I think it is hard for the techs to keep up with what you can/can't do in terms of settings, etc. They say I teach them something new every time I ask a question. :)

And as far as the 65 gallon tank goes, it rocks. Looking at 550-600 miles between fill-ups (leaving some emergency fuel) as I am averaging 8-10 mpg towing. Much nicer than before. I had considered an in-bed tank from Transfer Flow but am glad we installed this one because I still have all my bed space. I had the dealer install because #1, It really didn't cost that much and if something was wrong with the install it is on them, not me; and #2 Any warranty issues that arise they will have to admit they did the install and also that they told me (in writing) that replacing the tank would not affect any of my warranty/extended warranty.

ncc1701e

Has anyone ever heard of a failure with the Titan Tanks? I am not speaking of water or other contaminents. A failure where the tank breaks down internally. Right now my 7 month old tank is on the ground and it looks very much like the inside of the tank has suffered some kind of failure.

scottyb

Sorry for your issues. Did you have it installed by your dealer? Keep us posted. Let us know if Titan responds appropriately.