To do or not to do Slide Out Toppers!

davusmc

I am considering whether or not installing Slide Out Toppers (covers) on my 2012 Landmark is worth the expense. I have read several threads on this forum regarding miscellaneous issues re: slide out toppers but not whether or not they are worth the expense. This is my 2nd RV and neither have had Toppers, so any input would be appreciated. If in fact the consensus is favorable, is there a Brand that is superior. Great Forum. Thanks. Dave.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I will always have slideout toppers. Helps greatly in keeping debris off the top of the slides so as not to damage the seals when closing the slides. Also helps keep the rain from finding a way in around a bad or torn seal around the top of the slides. If the top of the slide is not level or it is slanted toward the coach, water can pool against the coach and sooner or later it will find a way in. Toppers help in a big way to keep this from happening by keeping the vast majority of the water off the top of the slide. Granted, during windy conditions you can hear some flapping of the material and they can also sag some and hold a puddle of water that will need to be removed after it rains, but to me the pros outweight the cons. I personally can not say one brand is better than another, just that I will always have them.

lwmcguir

We like them except for the wind noise. Plan on having a method to keep the wind from snapping them if you find yourself out in 40 plus mph winds.

iowaone

In ten years with slides without them I have no missed them. We often are in the trees still not a problem. Last year in the spring underl locust tree blossoms I did. We'd to get up and clean off slide outs. Still after 3 campers without them I would order without them.

gebills

I feel lwmcguir has a good point referencing the wind issue. We had a windy day in Red Bluff CA in late October that made me wish for a method keep the canvas from flapping. Based on what I see on top of the slides (beneath the toppers), with our toppers on, suggests that I'm thankful for having had the toppers installed. I cleaned the slide tops off prior to pulling the slides in this past month. If the toppers weren't on the slides, I would probably go up each time the slides are pulled in to clean them off (maybe other than an overnight stop). There is so much debris and dust that collects up there, that it would cause some damage to the slide rubber flaps and seals. The toppers we have are ones we ordered when we bought the BH in 2011. They are a Lippert brand, and have had no problems in their opening/closing operation, thankfully. gebills.

pegmikef

I didn't have them on my two previous trailers and was always cleaning the slider roof. It was always part of the departure routine . . . drag out the ladder, get long handled brush or blower, clean top, then close slide. When I ordered my BH I specifically ordered the toppers and will never again not have them. As someone already pointed out they are also a hedge against slide leaks. I thought it was actually one of the lower cost, but most beneficial, options.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Only my main slide topper has enough slack to sag and flop a little. To prevent that, I slide my PVC pipe support under it. It also keeps it from puddling.

John T Bettencourt

If you go without toppers,you are only looking for a problem sooner or later. I had a canvas maker make the ones for my Landmark. He mounted a slide in track above each slide. He made each piece to fit with snaps over the outside edge. Fits tight and no wind noise . Price was much cheaper than factory ones.

jnbhobe

I had one rig without them, never again, toppers are one of the best investments you can make, most popular ones are made by Dometic.

Mrsfish

We just went through this debate and thought I would share our outcome. We did not get toppers on our new BH when we bought it and after a lot of reading and talking, we thought we would add them after the fact. We took our 5er to our dealer for some very minor repairs and some upgrades - toppers, window awnings and new slam latches on the front bin. Our service rep has been awesome and provided us with the quotes we asked for. We happened to be on the lot to get something out of the trailer when she asked me how serious I was about the toppers. When I told her that I simply thought they would be good the the 5er for the long haul she told me not to!! She said it is probably the most complained about after market add on she does. Most people are not happy with the after market finished product. She did explain that she does NOt get the same complaint on factory installed toppers- just the after market dometic toppers. Needless to say I appreciated her honesty and we did not go with the toppers - but I will stay with this advisor!

davusmc

Thanks everyone for your response and opinions. It appears it's about 50-50 pro & con on Toppers. I find it interesting that "factory installed" toppers are allegedly better than "after market", what could be the difference? Maybe the new "Slide Sleeves" are the way to go!? Or maybe just forget the whole idea! Thanks again. Dave.

JohnDar

Mine we're put on by the dealer at my request. They are fine. Perhaps some dealers don't have competent workers or the profit margin isn't enough for them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our 2 previous 5ers have had the toppers. The current one does not. I have ordered toppers from Heartland (same as put on in the factory). I have not put them on yet but will in the next several weeks. I have found that without them I have to either climb up on the roof or as ladder to clean off the toppers prior to closing. What a PITA. We are currently in a national forest with heavy tree cover and many many many leaves falling. Can't wait to get the toppers on. Yes they make some noise on a windy day but I will put up with that rather than bust my rear climbing up on the roof to clean them off.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had 4 campers over the years, one without toppers (never again) and the last three with toppers so needless to say, we like the toppers. Of the 3 with toppers, we had 2 of them added on after purchase and didn't have any problems with them. Our current coach had to have factory installed toppers because of the super slide. At the time Carefree of Colorado didn't have a topper long enough to fit the new super slide so factory install it was. It was more expensive to have factory installed instead of after market. Ah well. We installed toppers because of all the above reasons for having the toppers.

JanAndBill

We really debated the issue, and ultimately didn't have them installed, bad mistake. Everyting was fine until the week we camped under some cedar trees. It took forever to get those things off the top, before we could get the slides back in, and even then we still had needles up under the seals. We now have slide toppers.

JohnDar

On the issue of noise, it may be that the toppers are not installed properly and are loose. At the 2011 rally, I recall seeing several rigs with toppers that looked like loose hammocks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On the issue of noise, it may be that the toppers are not installed properly and are loose. At the 2011 rally, I recall seeing several rigs with toppers that looked like loose hammocks.

On thing that can stretch the toppers is to put something such as a beach ball under the topper to keep it from flopping around.

Herm45

Had toppers on the last two campers and on our current BH. Also would not be without them. Well worth the added investment.