To Start or Not to Start

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
During the winter months, I use my truck very little (once every 2-3 weeks). My question is, Do I start it every few days and let it warm to temp. or do I start it when I need it. It is currently 7 degrees outside and it is sitting in the middle of a 4' snow drift. I heard that prolonged idle time is hard on a Cummins, but is sitting for long periods of time in the cold hard on it as well?

Thanks
Jamie

Willym

These are my thoughts Start it when you need it, and give it a good run then. Starting and just idling it (even at fast idle) to warm it up will just increase the wear rate on the engine. Sitting in the cold for 2-3 weeks won't hurt the engine. If your batteries are good, it should last OK. If they are old/weak, a trickle charge every week would be a good idea.

GOTTOYS

No reason to start it other than to charge the batteries. I'd leave it alone and see how it goes when you need it. You might have to put a trickle charger on it to keep the batteries up. They will have some drain on them while sitting from radio/clock memories and other minor draws. The fewer cold starts the better... Don

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Prolonged sitting is hard on vehicles. Moisture and rust are enemies to moving parts that don't move like u-joints and bearings. Seals dry out and shrink too. Mice like to find homes in places like air filters, heater cores and the exhaust too.

I don't use my dually much since I don't use it to transport RVs any more and havn't had my own camper out at all this year. Longest time sitting was 2 months and I had to have the driveshaft rebuilt because my rear U-joint siezed up with a little rust, just enough that when I finally moved the truck a couple months ago it tore out my midship bearing.

Batteries need to keep a good charge too.

I'd recommend you at least drive the truck once a week for a trip to the store or something wherever. Just long enough drive to get her good and warmed up. Idle time is hard on any diesel and bad for the new trucks like yours with the particulate filter.

Buford445

Plug it in before you start it and it will start better. If you cant find the cord (it is on the passenger side by the oil filter) you will have to buy one either at the Stealer or Geno's Garage dot com

That is a better Idea IMHO

hoefler

To just start it and let warm up will actually do more harm than good. You need to get it out and work it, bring it up to operating temp for at least 15-30 minutes. If you just idle it, it will never get warm enough to boil off any moisture that will accumulate in the engine when it cools down. Next thing you know, you have water in the oil from condensation. Plus the transmission, transfer case, and axles need to get warmed up from time to time as well.

dewwood

Others advice is good. Starting to just warm up is hard on it. One other thing to consider is if you have not fueled it since cold weather you should put something in it to keep the fuel from gelling. Summer fuel is not mixed for winter use but most places in the north have winter blended fuel at the pumps in cold weather.