Torn Slide Seals & Rusted Underbody Metal

aatauses

Hi Jim,
We purchased this unit at the FL show this past year (you/Ron were instrumental in influencing our purchase). It was delivered to Tampa and I mentioned to the dealer then that I thought there was a lot of rust on the underbelly and he said that was because it was just mfg and had to come from IN. I still thought the unit was not properly painted. Since then we have gone directly to ME and are now back in FL so it has never been near the ocean (We are actually camped about 15 mines from the ocean). When I taked to HL about it they directed me to Lippert (sent them some pictures) and they said it was not prepared properly by the dealer. Dealer says it is not their repsonsibility and having a difficult time with them answering my emails on this subject. That is why I guess I am on my own if I want to replace each and every bolt/nut/screw before they completely rust off. Any suggestions you can give me would be appreciated. (note dealer is in Tampa and we are in Pensacola)
thanks for your concern
al
ps. You influenced us to by a great unit that we really do enjoy!!!

rick_debbie_gallant

Yes, the tank drain hose, along with low point drains should have valves on the ends. But as to routing another hose off the top of the tank to prevent overfilling, that would necessitate a fourth line sticking out the bottom of the trailer, open to the atmosphere (and whatever decided to take a journey up it). Just leaving it laying hidden inside, to flow all over the inside of the underbelly, does not sound like something even a novice engineer would design.

What says Heartland? Is there a overflow vent hose off the top of the tank that we don't know about?

Isn't the screened off opening by the freshwater fill the vent for the water tank?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Just thinking out loud here, but if the trailer was delivered to the dealer in the winter when there was salt on the roads, could that be where the rust started? I'm a Texas boy and not at all familiar with salting the roads.

aatauses

jmgratz---yes you are correct, both Tampa and Pensacola are near the Gulf Coast. However, our unit was on the Tampa lot for only 4 days (from mfg, it was ordered), and I just do not think they did any type of steam cleaning or prep to the underbelly. Their 'walk through' was great, taking 3-4 hours, but they did not want to address my question about the amount of rust on the frame.
jayc----I think you are correct, the unit came through some salt when it came from IN to FL in Feb, however I still think the dealer did not prep it correctly especially knowing it came through some tough weather in Feb.
I have already been to Lowes to see what may be available for different fasteners in galv/al/stainless and checking out rust inhibitors before repainting.
Just quite frustrating with a unit that is only 7 mos old.
al

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Finally had a chance to take some pictures and upload them for viewing (took awhile with slow wifi connection here at the RVx1200.

That dosn't look good at all. It almost looks like it was never powered coated. I have a 09 that was delivered from MI in the snow last winter and 99% no rust issues.

Boca_Shuffles

cdnrver -

Sorry for the problem with the rust. Is there a chance that some of the problem could have come from the storage?

You got the unit in Feb 2008 and immediately put it in storage. You used it for 5 days and put it back in storage. It sat in storage for all of 2009 until you took it out of storage in November.

Was the "storage" inside or in a field?
If it was inside, was it on a damp dirt floor or pavement?
If it was a storage lot, was there tall grass covering the sides and underbelly?

The rust may have been from the manufacturing process. But if your storage practice was part of the problem, then it would be useful to know so that others don't have similar problems. I continue to learn a lot from this forum.

Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I think that Tom may have hit on something there. I did notice that the black pipe for the gas supply is very rusty as well. That is an item that is most likely not supplied by Lippert the frame manufacturer. There has to be some corrosive force at work somewhere.

Peace
Dave

Riverman

Cdnrver - you must quit storing this 5er in the salt shed!
It is apparent that its not just a frame problem. It appears you have rust issues with every piece of metal under that unit. (Bolts-lines-hangers) Whatever is causing that accelerated rate of corrosion is perhaps also playing havoc with your rubber seals and ...
You may want to reconsider your parking choices?

pickuphunt

Rust on underbody

If you are anywhere near salt water in Texas, you WILL have a rust problem. The salt air will get to your unit, even area's that are painted. We will be on the north end of Padre Island (Mustang Island) at Port Aransas. This will be our 6th year at Pioneer RV Park. We just put up with the rust to enjoy the area.

lwmcguir

Might be worth checking to see if you have a stray voltage problem as well. I know we have rust on ours and it hasn't been exposed to salt. ( I have checked to make sure we didn't have any stray voltage as we had run into that with our 5er several years ago. It didn't have much rust however) The rust isn't nearly as bad yet on ours and hope it don't get that way. Cathodic corrosion can be very quirky however yours is so bad it is approaching general corrosion or Anodic. Darn serious for sure.

lwmcguir

No, I think you can repair it but you will have to get to bare metal either chemically or with a wire brush. It just seems like the rust is way more severe than it should be. I have worked with corrosion issues for forty years and have never seen anything look that bad under the conditions you have been in. Stay voltage would be if you have a 120 volt circuit that has a small short that is grounding through the frame. This could be checked by a voltmeter checking from the frame to a ground while plugged in. No voltage should be present. Use the millivolt scale. Nothing should be there. If there is reverse the leads and see which way the voltage is flowing. I feel for you, there is something really wrong there. Maybe the Heartland engineering should jump in and help get to the bottom of it. Certainly feel your pain. I wouldn't be happy either.

lwmcguir

Sure have empathy for you. I would really like to see someone from the factory jump in here and help shed some light on this and help with some re-furbishing. I can understand how you feel.

beardedone

Beardedone
When I worked on a downstream heavy oil refinery we learned that pipe shipped by sea was highly susceptible to early rusting even when it had supposedly been protected during shipment. If our beams came from China they probably were not properly prepared for painting. This rust could show up anywhere, including in dry areas of the country.

biggziff

When I worked on a downstream heavy oil refinery we learned that pipe shipped by sea was highly susceptible to early rusting even when it had supposedly been protected during shipment. If our beams came from China they probably were not properly prepared for painting. This rust could show up anywhere, including in dry areas of the country.

Which begs the question....

Where does Lippert get its steel?

Where does Heartland get its prefab panels and other materials?