Torn Slide Seals & Rusted Underbody Metal

jbeletti

Which begs the question....

Where does Lippert get its steel?

Where does Heartland get its prefab panels and other materials?

Don't know where Lippert gets its steel.

Not sure which prefab panels you mean. We do our own lamination of floor, walls and roofs.

Jim

lwmcguir

Our Politicians continue to force our mills/plants/mines/foundry's out of business. Then we loan money to foreign countries to built them, especially the seamless and high grade items. This has been going on for about 40 years. The goods are then imported as needed back to the US. We even export ore to facilitate all this. Keep all this in mind when you decide who to vote for. I hope you all vote for America.

lwmcguir

There is something else going on with all that corrosion. Two many different areas affected to severely. Someone close to them needs to jump in an resolve the issue. It isn't all faulty materials or coatings due to the severity.

talley

My 2006 BH was mfg in Jan 2006. It was delivered to Texas and I purchased it in Oct 2006; my first RV. After a couple of months I discovered the frame rust and the "powder" coating coming off in large (approx 2" X 1") flakes. Met the same response from Heartland and Lippert as has been recited here. After discussions the general opinion was that the failure of the coating was due to transporting the unit over salted roads and not rinsing the undercarriage. While I cannot immediately find the reference... I have read in Heartland literature that the dealer has the responsibility to rinse the undercarriage of units delivered in winter. The rust was not covered by warranty. The dealer (ExploreUSA RV of Seguin, Tx) did step up to the plate and paint the exposed areas of the frame. Heartland may have helped the dealer, but not as a warranty.

IMHO, the rust on these units probably come from towing roads with deicing salt and not rinsing the frame. Perhaps those who live in areas where road salt is used will share their experience. Of course, if exposure to road salting is true , the durability and suitability of the coating may be in question. It would be interesting to survey those with rust problems about mfg and delivery dates (of course salt is not always present on winter roads) You do not see that amount of rust along the Gulf Coast unless you live on the beach and are subject to seaspray.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I can tell you that the transport drivers that deliver units from the factory to dealers had no instructions or even suggestions to wash down the undercarriages of the trailers that we delivered. During the very short time that I delivered, it was fall and I never encountered ice on roads. We were told to wash the trailers before delivery but nothing was said about washing the running gear.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I am not trying to "stir the pot", but I will say that I feel for the problem that cdnrver is encountering. I can vouch that there is at least one more Heartland 2009 Sundance 2900MK out there somewhere, and it shows the exact severe rust issue that is indicated in the pictures posted by cdnrver.

Do a search on one of my initial posts, dated 9-28-2008, titled "Chassis corrosion on a new 2009 Sundance 2900MK".(sorry I don't know how to create a link)

I refused acceptance from the dealer because while conducting my PDI, I encountered severe rust and corrosion underneath, everywhere. The frame, the wheels, screw heads, bolt heads, slide mechanism, even the propane line. The dealer explained the rust because it had been a 'winter' delivery, and 'probably' encountered salt treated highways. He did not offer explanation why the coach had not been washed after delivery. The dealer came through for me however and delivered another 2900MK that was right off the line. But the corroded 2900MK is out there somewhere and I feel for that owner.

I offer this because it is certainly possible that the 2900MK that cdnrver purchased may have had the corrosion issue at delivery, and his storage and travels to Texas and other places had no fault to its present condition.

Thanks, my conscience is now clear.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I don't think that is possible, cdnrver. You mention in your initial post you accepted delivery in February 2008. The 2900MK I rejected because of corrosion was in September 2008.
What may be a correlation is that the dealer received the Sundance I rejected in late February or early March of 2008, around the same time you received your Sundance. The unit had set on their lot until I saw it in September. What may be possible is that these Sundances came off the line together, or close together. They may have been transported from Elkardt at the same time. Perhaps the IN highways were snowy at that time. However yours ended up in Canada, the other one in Virginia.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
There are several on this forum who are on their 2nd Heartland. :) When I get ready for another - it'll be another Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Cdnrver, I have been following this thread and am wondering about some points that have been posted.

1. according to your pickup date for the Sundance....it was Feb of 2008. That is 3 months shy of 2 years ago.

2. I dont think you have mentioned when you 1st noticed the rusting problem. Was this just recently that you found it?? Road salt will do a number on metal if left alone for a long time. Also, what did the frame look like during your PDI??

loafer

We bought our 24.5 rl sundance 5 th wheel in may of this year I did not look under mine until awhile ago and my frame ,propane lines and metal screws that hold coroplast under carriage on are all rusted .I will go under and have to wire wheel and paint or coat with something rust proof as discussed in this post .Its a 2009 model and was at a dealer near the ocean . I dont know whether it sat all winter at the dealer or not .I have my work cut out for me to fix this > I actually cannot see any sign of powder coating on the frame maybe black paint . When I saw the heartland video it did show pwder coating of the frame as an added benefit but I dont see it.
my .02 cents worth dissappointed to have to deal with this on a new 2009 trailer
Bill

Beaver00

Torn seals

We have a2009 Landmark August and I've had all four seals replaced. We met a fellow in St George UT and he showed me his seals and explained what had happened. I looked at ours, and we had the SAME problem. Heartland was very helpful and they've all been replaced with no expense to me.:)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well then, there's someone else out that that shares my pain (and I'm sure many others with various issues i.e. water leaks, seals etc)

Unlike automobiles, I don't think there's too many repeat customers in the RV industry - I've yet to hear of someone who has bought 2 units from the same company - usually they go elsewhere for their other unit - that's why the RV industry can put out the kind of poor quality that they do - they just get some dissatisfied customer from another manufacturer and that other manufacturer gets theirs.

Not necessarily true...I know many people who have purchased the same brand again, when changing or upgrading. I also know, several people on this forum alone who have purchased more than one Heartland product. We, in fact, will be replacing our Bighorn one day with a Landmark. :D

lwmcguir

Sounds like we all need a plan to re-coat and protect the steel under these coaches. Needs to be simple and cost effective. I was thinking of automotive undercoating to start with but now I am not sure if that is the way to go. Sounds like the problem is larger than it originally appeared to be. I noticed the water on the side of our Augusta runs down the curved portion and drips onto the frame. It is very rusty the length that the rain and condensation contact area along the frame. Rustier than any of our previous 8 campers over the past 40 years. Poor quality steel or coating? Still think the pictures posted have more than issue going regarding the corrosion.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We had a trouble free Sunnybrook Mobile Scout for ten years before buying our first Heartland Bighorn 3055. I found that the Mobile Scout had not kept up with the newer trailers and the fact that I had been following the Heartland lines since they came out and we bought the first one. After a little over a year we bought our second Bighorn, this time a 3370RL and we haven't had a problem that Heartland hasn't taken care of for us.

Are they perfect, absolutely not. Would we buy another one, absolutely!

dreamer

I have a 2009 2900mk that shows the same rust issues as cdnrver and it has not seen salt. It was taken to Alaska and back in the summer. We were camped on the ocean for seven days. I must say I was very disappointed to see all the rust on something new and supposably powder coated.
I have never experienced success trying to scrape and paint metal to stop rust. I purchased a spray can of crown rust protectant and sprayed all metal parts. It takes about a can and a half at 11$ per can. This stuff creeps into all spots. I plan on doing this yearly. My concern is what does the inside of the frame look like? I really think a lot of the problem is the poore quality steel around and the skimpist powder coating i have seen.
Yes I would definately purchase another Heartland product.I hope you find some liveable solution and are able to enjoy your unit. I some time think we enjoy ours too much and should be outside more.