Tow Vehicle- MODS

Power247

Re: My Tow Vehicle- MODS

Lighting mods must be popular this time of year. I have done a few over the past few weeks. I went with white LEDs on the rockers and tied them in with the dome light so they come on when I unlock the truck.
d75a3e4ec92762fb25f816a0b5291042.jpg

Then added Morimoto LED fog lights and a new set of Morimoto HIDs & projectors.
5960e0230c8380ab46c8a88549d8551d.jpg

Plenty of light out front now :). The LED aux lights are only for back roads and when out on the beach.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Lighting mods must be popular this time of year. I have done a few over the past few weeks. I went with white LEDs on the rockers and tied them in with the dome light so they come on when I unlock the truck.

Then added Morimoto LED fog lights and a new set of Morimoto HIDs & projectors.
5960e0230c8380ab46c8a88549d8551d.jpg

Plenty of light out front now :). The LED aux lights are only for back roads and when out on the beach.

Looks good!! Wanted to go with white, but I wanted them on with the running lights. Can't get that passed through inspection here in PA.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I like those LED light bars on the front and have been thinking about adding one to my truck, but lately I've been seeing a lot of cars and trucks driving at night with them on (like they are fog lights or something) along with their regular headlights, and they are WAY too bright for street driving.

And when you give them the bright light flash . . . seems that most of them are jerks and turn on all of their lights!

And don't even get me started about the trucks that put them on the roof rack (mostly Jeeps) or roll bar and drive the streets and highways with them turned on!

It is just a matter of time (ie.- somebody gets blinded by them and kills someone) before these start getting government regulation on when they can and can't be used.

Surprisingly we do not have much of that problem around here. Not a lot of offroad lights glaring at you going down the road.
We do have the issue with a lot of these lifted trucks not adjusting their lights after their ride height is raised. It seems like every other truck on the road has a lift kit. Either from the factory or aftermarket.

IronJ

The worst is people who stick hid bulbs in a stock housing...shoots light everywhere and blinds everyone...

Halogen housing aint made for those..but its several hundred cheaper than doing it correctly with the correct hid projector housing...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Power247

Looks good!! Wanted to go with white, but I wanted them on with the running lights. Can't get that passed through inspection here in PA.
Thanks! NC has the same rules I believe. I really like the lights you used as well. I am still looking for a solution for additional running/turn signal lights.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Oregon_Camper

Very nice!! When you wired to dome light, is it a simple job of running wires from LED to the fuse box? Then I'm guessing you used a fuse jumper to attach the wires from LED?

If you have a picture of the wiring, that would really help me wrap my mind around it. Thanks!!

Power247

Very nice!! When you wired to dome light, is it a simple job of running wires from LED to the fuse box? Then I'm guessing you used a fuse jumper to attach the wires from LED?

If you have a picture of the wiring, that would really help me wrap my mind around it. Thanks!!
I ran the wires into the cab and tied them in the drivers side kick panel. It is a tan and white wire. Let me see if I have a pic.

Greg

Power247

I was wrong... My truck didn't come with footwell lighting so I had to tie in at the harness on the side of the dash.
5768ee50d0f67646c98921a27fb2b6c4.jpg

98f1c1565d2f6d3f2f21d9ac717e12f0.jpg

Oregon_Camper

I was wrong... My truck didn't come with footwell lighting so I had to tie in at the harness on the side of the dash.

So the red wire is the from the LED and you just spliced into the dome light...Nice! Then I'm guess you just found a common ground somewhere else.

Was this a specific LED kit for the running boards? Got a link to where you purchased? :)

Power247

So the red wire is the from the LED and you just spliced into the dome light...Nice! Then I'm guess you just found a common ground somewhere else.

Was this a specific LED kit for the running boards? Got a link to where you purchased? :)
Yes, the red wire is the one i added. There is a 2 amp fuse link just out of view and then all the wires for the footwells and the steps are connected to that with a connector. The gound I picked up down in the kick panel. There is a large ground screw that worked out perfect. The lights are just the waterproof strip lights from amazon. I bought 2 sets so I would have to worry about sealing up the ends with the wires attached. http://a.co/bKUKM7l

To install them I pain-stakenly removed the adhesive from the strip lights and applied them with 3M 1/4" automotive trim tape. http://a.co/1THOWY6 I used high-temp glue stick to secure both ends to the truck as an extra measure. I actually installed them over the summer and they have really held up well.

Greg

Last edited:

Power247

@Power247. Yes
Just making sure :) The Morimoto fog lights are direct replacements for the factory housings. I got mine from RetroShops, same place that added projectors to my headlights. http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RM.LED

The lights on the bumper bar are just mounted to a switch I added in the cab. My truck is a '12 and didn't come with factory up fitter switches. I have been thinking of adding them though.

Greg

Jim.Allison

Tow vehicle mods? I have one for your A/C that may be unexpectedly losing performance. Perhaps you find yourself sneezing while driving.

You may already know this, but if you don't, this is something I found out about. I hope that I'm not repeating something already known to the group.

I have a 2013 RAM 2500 and a 2017 RAM 3500. The AC on the 2013 RAM works perfectly, but recently the 2017 RAM with 13K miles on it began to have a slight odor and the volume of chilled air seemed to be less, and I found myself feeling the vent in an effort to determine volume.

So I did some google searches and it turns out, some 2016 RAM Trucks and 2017 RAM Trucks have a "cabin air filter" (probably true with other brands also.)

Sooooooo, I located my "cabin filter" door on the 2017, and pulled the filter. it was trashed after only 13,000 miles. While I like the idea of a cabin air filter, 13K miles is not acceptable. Geno's Garage, and NAPA sells the filter. Genos specifies it by model, But you may have to get creative with NAPA. In the end you will want the same cabin filter that is used on the new Eco Diesel 1500.

The filter price is anywhere from $15 to $30 though and that is a real rip off because it is not very substantial and it's capacity is somewhat limited. More research took me to the K&N filter (part number VF2013) which is washable. The filter runs $40 and the cleaning kit which comes with a renewing conditioner runs another $15, bringing the total to $60 bucks when you include sales tax. But the K&N is warranteed for 10 years or 100K miles. Check the links below.

The idea of the cabin filter is something I like, I do not want my evaporator coil doing the filtering for me, and I can't go reduced performance and odors at 13K miles, nor do I like the idea of spending 15 to 30 bucks every oil change for a cabin air filter either. The K&N is the answer to that, I believe.

Soooo what about the 2013? Turns out that the blower motor box on 2010 models and up are pre stamped with a "cut out" that only requires a "case cutter/sheet rock knife" to cut it out. You can also use a flat blade on a soldering iron to cut it out, just follow the very clearly written instructions. The K&N filter (or a disposable filter can be inserted through that new opening. The cover/door can be ordered with a new filter through Geno's Garage as a kit. But I came up with a better deal through Amazon.com here is the part number for the OEM cabin filter door only that will fit the opening, and the separate K&N VF2013 filter. BE SURE THAT YOU ORDER THE CABIN FILTER CLEANING KIT too. The kit is not the same cleaner and conditioning kit as the intake filter chemicals. [h=1]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TMVRJWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEL75GO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/h]
[h=1]https://www.amazon.com/99-6000-Cabin-Filter-Refresher-Kit/dp/B00NEL7NY8/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NEL7NY8&pd_rd_r=257DXBGW0J1AQSP2YZ7R&pd_rd_w=ac0GU&pd_rd_wg=jxABo&psc=1&refRID=257DXBGW0J1AQSP2YZ7R

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/gg-cff1012/cab-filters[/h][h=1]https://www.genosgarage.com/product/na-4578-comp/cab-filters[/h]
I hope this helps someone out........

Sarge

Tow vehicle mods? I have one for your A/C that may be unexpectedly losing performance. Perhaps you find yourself sneezing while driving.

You may already know this, but if you don't, this is something I found out about. I hope that I'm not repeating something already known to the group.

I have a 2013 RAM 2500 and a 2017 RAM 3500. The AC on the 2013 RAM works perfectly, but recently the 2017 RAM with 13K miles on it began to have a slight odor and the volume of chilled air seemed to be less, and I found myself feeling the vent in an effort to determine volume.

So I did some google searches and it turns out, some 2016 RAM Trucks and 2017 RAM Trucks have a "cabin air filter" (probably true with other brands also.)

Sooooooo, I located my "cabin filter" door on the 2017, and pulled the filter. it was trashed after only 13,000 miles. While I like the idea of a cabin air filter, 13K miles is not acceptable. Geno's Garage, and NAPA sells the filter. Genos specifies it by model, But you may have to get creative with NAPA. In the end you will want the same cabin filter that is used on the new Eco Diesel 1500.

The filter price is anywhere from $15 to $30 though and that is a real rip off because it is not very substantial and it's capacity is somewhat limited. More research took me to the K&N filter (part number VF2013) which is washable. The filter runs $40 and the cleaning kit which comes with a renewing conditioner runs another $15, bringing the total to $60 bucks when you include sales tax. But the K&N is warranteed for 10 years or 100K miles. Check the links below.

The idea of the cabin filter is something I like, I do not want my evaporator coil doing the filtering for me, and I can't go reduced performance and odors at 13K miles, nor do I like the idea of spending 15 to 30 bucks every oil change for a cabin air filter either. The K&N is the answer to that, I believe.

Soooo what about the 2013? Turns out that the blower motor box on 2010 models and up are pre stamped with a "cut out" that only requires a "case cutter/sheet rock knife" to cut it out. You can also use a flat blade on a soldering iron to cut it out, just follow the very clearly written instructions. The K&N filter (or a disposable filter can be inserted through that new opening. The cover/door can be ordered with a new filter through Geno's Garage as a kit. But I came up with a better deal through Amazon.com here is the part number for the OEM cabin filter door only that will fit the opening, and the separate K&N VF2013 filter. BE SURE THAT YOU ORDER THE CABIN FILTER CLEANING KIT too. The kit is not the same cleaner and conditioning kit as the intake filter chemicals. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TMVRJWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEL75GO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/99-6000-Cabi...rd_wg=jxABo&psc=1&refRID=257DXBGW0J1AQSP2YZ7R

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/gg-cff1012/cab-filters

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/na-4578-comp/cab-filters

I hope this helps someone out........

I spend a lot of time smoking a fine ceeegar while traveling -

Filter Schmilter....