Towing 39' or 41'? Does it make a difference?

Bohemian

We have picked out two different, almost identical Big Horn 5th wheels. One is the 3685RL at 39'. One is the 3760EL at 41'. There is no question that we would prefer the 3760EL with it's slightly better space.

So, how much of a difference will that 2 feet make in towing, maneuvering, availability of camping spaces, etc. Are there any reasons to NOT get the 41' model?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Consider where you camp frequently. Are there the spaces there limited in size?

Two feet does not really make much of a difference from my view. I have a North trail that is 36 feet. I have more issues with finding spaces that fit anything over 30 feet but once you find sites that allow for 30 feet going to 40 feet does not seem to make much difference.

As far as towing, Towing my, non-5th wheel with equal-z-er hitch, North Trail that is 36ft was just as easy as towing my dad's 5th wheel cyclone that is 43 feet, using his truck. The major difference in length was about 2-3 feet overall length between rigs.

Bohemian

Consider where you camp frequently. Are there the spaces there limited in size?

Two feet does not really make much of a difference from my view. I have a North trail that is 36 feet. I have more issues with finding spaces that fit anything over 30 feet but once you find sites that allow for 30 feet going to 40 feet does not seem to make much difference.

As far as towing, Towing my, non-5th wheel with equal-z-er hitch, North Trail that is 36ft was just as easy as towing my dad's 5th wheel cyclone that is 43 feet, using his truck. The major difference in length was about 2-3 feet overall length between rigs.

Part of this is we don't know where we camp regularly. We are soon going fulltime. Selling the house. Traveling everywhere we can go. All year long. That is the only reason we would go anywhere near this big.

Thus, we are wondering if this small 2 foot margin makes any difference at all?

ncrzrbk

I would go with the floor plan you want since your full timing. You will have to plan ahead to make sure sites are available with the space you need. You definitely have the truck so get the floor plan you like. I can't see that 2' will matter much in the long run.

My other thoughts were you researched much about your truck and got what you needed and wanted. I would take that same thought on your camper. Don't have regrets over that 2'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bohemian

I would go with the floor plan you want since your full timing. You will have to plan ahead to make sure sites are available with the space you need. You definitely have the truck so get the floor plan you like. I can't see that 2' will matter much in the long run.

My other thoughts were you researched much about your truck and got what you needed and wanted. I would take that same thought on your camper. Don't have regrets over that 2'.

That is my though too. However, it's always better to ask advice from those more experienced.

Geodude

We recently went thru the same thing. Started out looking for something around 35' but ended up with a 3585 parked beside the house. It's advertised at 39' but I measure it at 41.5'. We know we'll be doing some "most timing" and are discussing selling the house and full timing. We will also still want the woodsy Ontario Parks experience but that is only maybe 10% of the time these days and although it can be a challenge backing in to those woodsy sites sometimes, we have never not been able to make it work. As others have suggested, we biased our purchase based on the other 90% of how it will be used. The extra inside space is noticeable.

BLHFUN

The only thing I'll add is campground availability for over 40 foot. I'm 44 and still get multiple resorts that can't support us. For national parks, I haven't found a single one that can park us. Most stop at 35 feet and a few go up to 40'.

Most at of the Older RV parks asked me 3 or 4 times..... "You're How long?" Really depends on where and how you're camping. Food for thought.

iowaone

We stay mostly at state, COE, and county parks. For the last two years we have had the 43 foot cyclone and camped in the Midwest and Florida to Arizona and have not had trouble finding sites in most parks we wanted to stay in. Some mountain parks or areas in forest have had limits of 35 feet or less. Previous I had a 39 footer and it wasn't much easier to find sites for it.

Birchwood

Our Landmark is just under 40 feet end to end.Published is, if I remember ,38 ft 11 inches.We always fuel at truck stops and
only stay in parks that are big rig ready.I think you would treat a 39 ft rig the same as a 41 ft rig so I would go for either
and the weight is probably similar also.If I had 2 more feet on my Landmark I wouldn't care .

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been full timing for over 3 years now and your only limitations are older state parks and the vehicle you will be using to pull with! The bigger the better!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
2-foot difference . . . doesn't matter!

Buy the trailer you like and hit the road!

I'd be more worried about if your tow vehicle is enough truck to pull and stop your trailer purchase!

Stopping is the most important issue . . .

GWRam

If your gonna be using "Tiny" to pull your new home you'll have no worries.
Go with the 41' enjoy the space. You can't make the 39' unit grow, you can always find some place to park. We are 41'+ and with a little preplanning (site restrictions) have always been able to get into our planned campground.

Gaffer

You won't notice the difference 2 feet makes. I went from 35+ feet to 39+ feet and it feels the same.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Went from 31' to 42' and it was a noticeable difference. Both in travel and around the campgrounds. But I don't think 39' to 41' would be much of an issue. If you can tow it, get the model you want and enjoy!!

lwmcguir

I think you made a good choice. We didn't notice any difference towing from our Yellowstone to the Augusta. Parking, turning, camp sites as the others noted are the major thing to watch.