Towing Question

jsmith032

Im looking to buy a North Star 24DBS and want to make sure my rig can handle it. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, the inside of my truck says the GVWR is 7100lbs. The max payload is 1061. Based on those #'s should I be trading in my new truck so I can actually tow something decent? Hitch weight on the 24BDS is 800lbs, and dry weight is 6300.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your max payload of 1061 is pretty skinny. The dry hitch weight of 800 leaves 261 for passengers, kids, pets and any gear you stow in the bed of the truck.
Check the towing guide link that Bogie provided.

Peace
Dave

jsmith032

I did that but it seemed off.

Max payload says 1,060 but the max towing was 10,960. Which is way different then the sticker on the door.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A side note here, a lot of RV dealers will tell you you can tow just about anything with your truck just to make the sale.
Do your homework.

Peace
Dave

jsmith032

A side note here, a lot of RV dealers will tell you you can tow just about anything with your truck just to make the sale.
Do your homework.

Peace
Dave
Absolutely. We really like the 24BDS. Sounds like it’s either a new rig or different TT

carl.swoyer

It's not how much can you tow .
It's all about can you stop it safely in an urgent situation.
Also steep grades need to be addressed.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

MTPockets

You should heed the limits shown on your door post label. Safety is top priority for you and your family.

jsmith032

Thanks for everyone’s input. Sounds like my max payload is lacking and I should either look at getting a lighter payload TT or a new rig. What’s the standard max payload for a 1/2 ton though? Is the 24DBS just not half ton friendly? Even though it’s smaller?

What’s the standard max payload for a 1/2 ton though?
I don't think there is a standard, it's all over the board with the available options. My 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with off-road and tow package has a max payload of about 1700lbs. Different factory options, transmissions, optional equipment, gear ratio etc all effect those numbers and every mfg has options and trims that drastically change that within a model range.

jsmith032

I don't think there is a standard, it's all over the board with the available options. My 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with off-road and tow package has a max payload of about 1700lbs. Different factory options, transmissions, optional equipment, gear ratio etc all effect those numbers and every mfg has options and trims that drastically change that within a model range.
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 10.18.48 PM.png

Makes sense. Most of the options on the Limited add more weight and dont help that max payload #...

david-steph2018

Prices for trucks have gone thru the roof. Our 2017 3500 Big Horn was less than that price. Know I know why the dealer offered me $65K for my truck last week when in for new batteries.

carl.swoyer

Yes ! Crazy prices.
I can sell my dually for 20,000 dollars, us dollars more than I paid.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk