TowMax failure and 235-85-R16 on Cyclone triple axle

2TrakR

Question: Anyone else put 235-85-R16 tires on their triple axle Cyclone? Did you have clearance issues between any of the tires?

Not that I was looking to get with the "in-crowd" but I've now had one of the TowMax tires fail on our 2011 Cyclone 3950. Disappointing to say the least. The DOT code puts the tires at week 14 of 2010, consistently close to the manufacture date on the 5th Wheel of August 2010.

Under 7000 miles and a belt deformation visually showed up on one tire, which the experts tell me was not from an impact or other road-induced problem. Two of the other 6, when I took them off, looked suspicious to my untrained eye, but that's irrelevant as all 6 tires are now replaced with Carlisle on the recommendation of my tire guy. The F-rated model here: http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/tires43

I feel a bit better with an effective 16,000 pound capacity on just one side of the trailer with these F rated units.

I think somebody else has put the larger tires on their Cyclone, on the forum, but couldn't tell for sure looking through tonight. The clearance between the front two axles is pretty tight, though I still have the jacks under one side (changed 4 tires today, the other 2 go tomorrow). Pretty tight as in I can't quite squeeze my hand between them, but quite a bit more room between the middle/rear tires. Again, my trailer is not settled at the moment, so there may be some movement to go when the jacks come out from the opposite side.

dbbls59

Please keep us posted with your experience with the Carlisle, load range F tires. Do you know which country your new tires were make in? Most of us are gun shy about Carlisle tires. Also, good luck with your new tires.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Here is a view of the spacing on our '11 Cyclone 3850 with Goodyear G614 (LT235/85R16 G). The sticker on the other side says it's equipped with Dexter axles.

Attachments

• IMG_0200[1].jpg
    IMG_0200[1].jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 190

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

scottyb

Here is a view of the spacing on our '11 Cyclone 3850 with Goodyear G614 (LT235/85R16 G). The sticker on the other side says it's equipped with Dexter axles.

Now that's the way the axles are supposed to look. Plenty of space. What is the silver apparatus between the tires?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Goodyear says that for 3000 LBS loading (6000# axles) the proper tire pressure is 80.
Before buying the tires I confirmed with Goodyear and Sendel that the combination was acceptable.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Goodyear says that for 3000 LBS loading (6000# axles) the proper tire pressure is 80.
Before buying the tires I confirmed with Goodyear and Sendel that the combination was acceptable.

Ok, good!! Seems like this wheel is on a lot of 6k axle rigs. Just want to be clear for others looking at the Goodyear 614s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2TrakR

Put 100 miles on the rig this weekend with the new tires and _seems_ OK. I am leery as these things are VERY close together. I'm going to look into the axle spacing and suspension to see if there's something I can do to get 'em a bit further apart. They are Dexter axles and the rubber puck thing looks pretty squished (I have to dig through the forum to recall what that was about).

Anyway. The DOT code is either AO or AQ (China or India). They are F rated, so better than what was on there just in the rating let alone the additional plies and load capacity. My tire guy (does mostly trailers and heavy equipment) has had good success with these and uses them personally. His opinion is the Goodyear are great tires with a price tag to match, but 4-5 years is max on any trailer tire and these Carlisle have had same life and no issues yet with 1/2 the expense.

So here's hoping they are not "Blow Max" "china bombs" as others affectionately refer to the OEM tires on this Cyclone.

IMG_1840.jpgIMG_1846.jpg

Wmnmy

Question: Anyone else put 235-85-R16 tires on their triple axle Cyclone? Did you have clearance issues between any of the tires?

Not that I was looking to get with the "in-crowd" but I've now had one of the TowMax tires fail on our 2011 Cyclone 3950. Disappointing to say the least. The DOT code puts the tires at week 14 of 2010, consistently close to the manufacture date on the 5th Wheel of August 2010.

Under 7000 miles and a belt deformation visually showed up on one tire, which the experts tell me was not from an impact or other road-induced problem. Two of the other 6, when I took them off, looked suspicious to my untrained eye, but that's irrelevant as all 6 tires are now replaced with Carlisle on the recommendation of my tire guy. The F-rated model here: http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/tires43

I feel a bit better with an effective 16,000 pound capacity on just one side of the trailer with these F rated units.

I think somebody else has put the larger tires on their Cyclone, on the forum, but couldn't tell for sure looking through tonight. The clearance between the front two axles is pretty tight, though I still have the jacks under one side (changed 4 tires today, the other 2 go tomorrow). Pretty tight as in I can't quite squeeze my hand between them, but quite a bit more room between the middle/rear tires. Again, my trailer is not settled at the moment, so there may be some movement to go when the jacks come out from the opposite side.
I put carliSle tires on my cyclone after my china bombs started seperating after 2000 miles on them and I have never looked back I just got back from a 6000+ mile trip across the USA beautiful and safe trip and my tires still look brand new clearance is fine on my cyclone .