TOWMAX Tire Failure

alex00

Alex, the Ribs as well as the BFG Commercial are both commercial LT's with full steel casings. Pick one of them up and feel the difference, especially in the sidewalls. I run Michellin LTX on all my personal trucks as well as our company fleet, and love them. However, they are not in the same class as the Ribs, other than their LT designation. On the other hand, I would take the LTX's any day over the Towmax.

I think at this point I've ruled out the Maxxis. Now it's just a matter of deciding which LT. If I get the BFGs I can drop the $700 difference on the Hybrid inverter :).

Almost all LT-235-85-R-16 LR-E tires have a load capacity of 3042# each. Change to a LT-265-75-R-16 LR-E and it will have the same outside diameter with a load capacity of 3415# each.

Great info on the tire sizes. Thank you. I'd be much happier with a 3400 lb rating than 3000.

scottyb

Any of the aforementioned brands, even with a 3042 rating will be an improvement over the Towmax. Don't let the numbers decide for you. That hasn't worked out so we'll for many Towmax owners.

tireman9

Almost all LT-235-85-R-16 LR-E tires have a load capacity of 3042# each. Change to a LT-265-75-R-16 LR-E and it will have the same outside diameter with a load capacity of 3415# each.

LT235/85R16 may come on 6.5 rim The minimum approved rim for the LT265/75R16 is 7 What are your wheels?

LT235/85R16 specs at 9.25" wide the LT265/75R16 specs at 10.51 Do you have the clearance for the extra 1.26" width?

tireman9

Max weight ratings differ among Load Range E LT tires. Check the weight rating before buying.

While MOST tire companies have the same max load capacity you should al;ways check the published spec for the brand . design and LR for the tires you are considering. I have seen some OE tires on towables play games and spec a higher than standard load capacity for the tires than the rest of the industry. This done to save the RV company $$
Be sure co consult your Tire Placard numbers and the numbers on the original tires.