TPMS sensors siezed to valve stems

SilverRhino

OK, here is a picture from the TST site (click on picture for a larger size)

View attachment 13608

This picture shows the sensor with the anti theft cap. Remove these 3 screws and the cover comes off in two pieces. You are left with an inner shell that can they be put on using only your fingers.

These are the same sensors that I have......Had not taken them apart, as previously stated thought that was just to replace the batteries! Now I have to take one off the trailer to see what is inside......then the next time I get around to removing my outer duals, I can follow Duanes advice for an easier installation.

Thanks for the clarification!

Travel Safe!

porthole

Retired
When you remove the 3 screws and the covers you use the wrench and your fingers to unscrew the cover assembly to get to the battery.

Vtxkid

TST replaced all my sensors.

I would recommend to those that have DRW's; get the 507 model. The anti theft caps are removable. With the caps on I have to remove the rear wheels to get the sensors on and off. Also had to modify a wrench to work on the fronts on the new Ford (wheels are really thick at the openings).

With the caps off they are fairly easy to get on and off, unless your hands are so big you can't get through the wheel opening.

BTW, the flats on the sensors are 12mm

Good info Duane
I have the 507's on our 3010 but now that we have a dually, it looks like I will be needing to install the TPMS sensors on mine also. Even though it is a Chevy 3500HD, it look like it will be just as dificult to work with installing and removing of the sensors.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A question about putting the sensors on the truck, particularly a dually, comes when you take the vehicle in for service, like a tire rotation. Unless you remove them yourself beforehand, or give the mechanic the secret wrench, how do you handle it?

I asked about the corrosion issue at the rally booth. They didn't provide much information other than to say there had only been a couple.

SilverRhino

When I installed the TPMS on the BC.....I needed to have new valve stems installed. I took the wheels to my tire shop, with my sensors and wrench. After they had installed the new metal valve stems, I gave them the wrench and a sensor so they could install them prior to balancing. When they were done they gave me my wrench back.

Would follow the same procedure when getting the tires rotated on the truck.

Hope I didn't mess up.......Didn't know it was a "secret" wrench! ;) ;)

porthole

Retired
Personally, I would remove and re-install the sensors myself. Not letting just anyone mess with $50 a pop sensors.

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
I`m looking into to getting the TPMS system. When you say metal valve stem are they the all metal ones or the brass ones ?? .

When I installed the TPMS on the BC.....I needed to have new valve stems installed. I took the wheels to my tire shop, with my sensors and wrench. After they had installed the new metal valve stems, I gave them the wrench and a sensor so they could install them prior to balancing. When they were done they gave me my wrench back.

Would follow the same procedure when getting the tires rotated on the truck.

Hope I didn't mess up.......Didn't know it was a "secret" wrench! ;) ;)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Personally, I would remove and re-install the sensors myself. Not letting just anyone mess with $50 a pop sensors.
I agree with Duane. Also remember to mark your sensors so you can identify their location when you re-install them.

Brunomisty, I would consider using anti seize with either type of metal stem. Brass or steel. Not a lot though, just a drop on the stem threads.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The sensors on the Doran TPMS have serial numbers on them so you can keep up with the wheel position. The serial numbers are what you use to program their positions.

Ray LeTourneau

The sensors on the Doran TPMS have serial numbers on them so you can keep up with the wheel position. The serial numbers are what you use to program their positions.
Jim, the TST sensors are coded with a serial number but it's not labeled or anything like that. The numbers are only visible through the receiver. TST provides little marking stickers so the installer/owner can mark them as desired.

JohnDar

My TST sensors came with labels on them with their hexadecimal codes. That's what got programmed into the receiver. There's something in the manual about it being able to learn who's who in the zoo if you don't have the codes.

porthole

Retired
When you say metal valve stem are they the all metal ones or the brass ones ?? .

This is a little confusing. All valve stems are "metal" When RV'rs are referring to metal valve stems we are referring to the type that has a metal stem with either 1 or 2 lock nuts to hold the stem in.
Normal automotive valve stems have a metal core which which has a rubber outer layer.
With lower pressure tubeless tires these valve stems are pulled through the inside of the rim and are a friction fit in the rim. Higher pressure require the stem to have a flange of some sort and seal. These are then held in with lock nuts

Most metal stems are some form of alloy, brass, bronze (really cheap ones may be a zinc alloy) steel and stainless steel.
Most that we see are chrome plated brass or bronze.

This is a typical "metal" valve stem installed in RV tires.
http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv.com/product/1-7-16-inch-clamp-in-tubeless-valve-2-per-package

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Another question here . Here are 2 pic of my valve stems first one is what is one my truck from the factory . Truck Ford F250 . Second pic is what on my sundance from the factory. I know I need to replace the ones on the camper so i can install the TST. Are the ones on the truck OK to use with TST ??? Any information is helpful
Wayne

tires 002.JPGtires 001.JPG
This is a little confusing. All valve stems are "metal" When RV'rs are referring to metal valve stems we are referring to the type that has a metal stem with either 1 or 2 lock nuts to hold the stem in.
Normal automotive valve stems have a metal core which which has a rubber outer layer.
With lower pressure tubeless tires these valve stems are pulled through the inside of the rim and are a friction fit in the rim. Higher pressure require the stem to have a flange of some sort and seal. These are then held in with lock nuts

Most metal stems are some form of alloy, brass, bronze (really cheap ones may be a zinc alloy) steel and stainless steel.
Most that we see are chrome plated brass or bronze.

This is a typical "metal" valve stem installed in RV tires.
http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv.com/product/1-7-16-inch-clamp-in-tubeless-valve-2-per-package

Ray LeTourneau

My TST sensors came with labels on them with their hexadecimal codes. That's what got programmed into the receiver. There's something in the manual about it being able to learn who's who in the zoo if you don't have the codes.
My memory must be playin tricks on me. I don't remember any labels with codes. I only saw the codes when I was programming the sensors to the receiver.

SilverRhino

brunomisty; From what I can see on your picture, your truck stems are rubber and would need to be replaced. As porthole said "Higher pressure require the stem to have a flange of some sort and seal. These are then held in with lock nuts" If you go to a tire shop, they will know what you are looking for.

Ray & johndar; I agree with Ray; my sensors did not have the code listed anywhere, it was read by the monitor. However, I did find a set of direction on the internet for the 507 system that stated "you use the '+' and '-' key to enter each of the code numbers into the monitor"......When I saw that I figured that the "early" models must have been different. I just held each sensor up to the monitor and it read the code.....Instead of the stickers ( too easy to lose ) I etched the location on the top of each sensor.

porthole

Retired
TST distributes two different and distinct TPMS'.

Always Shiny Wheels and Tires, the vendor at the last two national rallies, has offered both systems at the rally.

Model 510 is the earlier model and has non replaceable batteries that are rated for approximately 5 years. The sensors have “anti-theft” caps that require a special wrench to install (or a thin 12mm open end). These sensors have a sensor code decal on each sensor that you manually input into the monitor.

Model 507 has replaceable batteries that are rated at approximately one year useable life.
These sensors also have anti-theft caps, but unlike the Model 510 they are removable and do not have to be used.

This is a superior option if you have a DRW, especially if you don’t feel the need for the anti theft feature.

The 507 sensors do not have a decal with the code. Rather the monitor itself, when in the “search” mode will find the active sensor and store the code and wheel location. You do this by installing one sensor at a time.

The 507 has a thinner, easier to mount (my opinion) monitor with an on/off switch.

Both systems do the same job and if you don’t have one yet all I suggest is, a) ask someone who has had a blow out how nerve wracking and expensive that is and b) has had the TPMS save them from a potential blowout (myself)

Last edited:

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Thanks everyone for all the good information. Had all new metal bolt down valve stems installed on TV. Getting camper done next then have to decide on which TPMS I want to use. Thinking about the TST 507 Model

Wayne

JohnDar

Ah so. I've got the "older" 510 system with the 5 year batteries. But, if I recall correctly, TST will change them when needed for a fee of $19.95 each. So figure the cost of new batteries every year, or once every five. Since my rig sits in storage over the winter or on the summer site, having them off for a period of time is no problem. Actually, according to the instructions, removing them when sitting for extended periods prolongs the battery life. When they detect pressure is when they turn on.