Trading '14 Cyclone 4100 HD for '16 LM Charleston

AlwaysOnLiberty

Hi all! Well, we're biting the bullet and looking to trade our Cyclone Toyhauler in for a Landmark Charleston. We sold one Harley and looking to get our other one sold very soon. (due to so many multi-tasking drivers on the road who don't look for bikers). We don't need the garage anymore and would like to get a more appropriate living area for full-time use. We have a few questions.

When trading Heartland product for Heartland product, did you feel you got a fair trade? Any 'trade secrets' you could expound on? What percentage did you swallow on your trade-in and were you able to make up for it good on your new purchase?

Charleston owners, how do you like/dislike your coaches? Is there something we need to look out for? Is there something you wish to change (other than the 'no' medicine cabinet??

Regrets? Things we should know? Please be honest. We'd rather know prior to negotiating and signing papers.

jbeletti

Wow - way to go. I don't have a Charleston so I have no pointers there, but it's a real popular floor plan. Hope it all works out for you.

'Lil Guy'

I don't believe there is any way to trade up without taking a big hit. Your dealer, whether it's the 2nd or 3rd unit you've bought from them is going to give you a set price they allow so they can resell for a profit. If you order your new rig, you'll have time to try and sell your old unit. Your dealer will gladly tell you what you are going to get for yours on trade in and what he'll ask for it on the lot. Again, I think you're up against a set amount he can give you for your trade but he can help on the other end for a better deal. We were prepared to take the hit and move on until a fellow offered us about a 35% over trade price for our rig.
You're dealer will probably give you his trade price sight unseen. After you order your new rig, you have about 6 weeks to try and sell the old one. It only takes one person looking for your type of rig to sell it quick. Good luck with your endeavor and I'm sure you'll love that new Luxury model.

Bones

If you have the ability you can try and sell your RV first then order the new one after you sell. If you don't have that ability I think you will be stuck trading in your camper.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Go on NADA or Kelly blue book and get your coaches value. They have 3 value's they list. The one you would be interested in is "trade in value. One is private sale ''you" and what a dealer would try to sell it for used. Also, if there is a HL MSRP on the forum for the 365 LM, download it, add up all the options you want and then subtract 30% off the total, then go make your deal. Sent you a PM.

ksucats

Didn't get the Charleston. We got our Key West a bit over a month ago but things we miss (besides the medicine cabinet) -- a radio -- there is none inside our outside in the Landmark for whatever reason. Hard to listen to football game without one! The other was the washer and dryer -- we had both in the rig we traded in; thought about having them transferred to the LM but didn't. We did miss them this past week.

Wife just reminded me - a sound bar for the outside TV - the TV sound is OK but definitely hard to hear when at a Football tailgate. We saw an earlier build that had one as well as an outside radio, ours has neither.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Clif, If I remember correctly, the site should have a listing for RV's. Then you will find trailers and Heartland. To me NADA is easier to navigate.

Last edited:

brianlajoie

Check the on line web sites to see what units like yours are going for. I would check out RV.net and RVtrader.com. If the listing prices are high enough, it may be worth listing your trailer. If all else fails, you can trade it in. I don't know if there are any web sites that cater to bikes/atv's, but that might be another idea.

AlwaysOnLiberty

Your responses have been helpful. What if we are now full-timing and try selling and then ordering? I'm not sure that would work in our favor because of timing. If a private buyer were buying, we'd have to tell them that we couldn't let them have possession until ours came in (if ordered).

My fear is if we have to go to a dealer for a trade. I realize dealers have to make money but not on both ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlwaysOnLiberty

We want to thank all of you who have been helping us through this 'evolution'. We put in an offer on one but holy moly, talk about a GREEDY sales manager who wanted to jilt us on BOTH ends. We realize he has to make a profit however, no, you're not making a stupid profit off us us. Moving along to another dealer. Looking in Texas but WILL travel if it's worth it.

brianlajoie

One of our CO members took their Landmark up to ND and sold it for mare than they could get here in CO in a trade. I don't know if a toy hauler would be treated the same though.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you considered PPL, I think they sell on consignment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlwaysOnLiberty

Well folks, it looks like we may not be able to make this happen. We succumbed to the fact that we should be happy with the dealer paying off our Cyclone (that big hit you all talked about), but the lowest we could get a particular dealer (in Texas...that has 8 dealerships in the state) to agree on a '16 Charleston is less than 27% off MSRP. We thought we were so close and then they sprang on us that we "have to use their financing" at 6% (we are pre approved with our bank for 3-3.5%) to get 'the deal'. In other words, on a 10 year note, we would be paying the difference of $100/month in interest alone. Seriously?? We didn't work all of our adult lives to earn our credit ratings over 800 to be insulted with such a ludicrous interest rate. Geesh, how much money are they making on us with that? We told them we had our own financing in line and they came back with, well, you won't get that price then.

Is that even legal??

So, in a nutshell, they would be making a pretty penny on our Cyclone trade, a pretty penny on the new Landmark sale but no, they can't be happy with that, they make money through financing with a hideous insulting rate.

IronJ

I had same issue with rvw....cheapest by far, BUT part of that was due to 3300$ discount if we financed through them....and then with the 2500$ shipping fee, I ended up finding a small dealer about 100 miles from my house that pretty much matched the price and let me take a check from my bank. ..

I've actually had this issue before with other purchases. ..I just let em finance to get the discount, then just drive to my credit union and have my banker switch it over....usually less than 300$ in fees and a GREAT rate always guaranteed! ...something to think about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

AlwaysOnLiberty

IronJ, we had that same thought (immediate refi) but our salesman said we have to agree not to refi within the first year. He's just begging us to be dishonest which we hate. We are ethical and honest people.

Also, would we be essentially setting ourselves up for fail or misery should we do that and then later, need to take it in for warranty repairs. Would they play games with us?