Trail Runner - Hot Water Heater Bolt Size

lorij64

We park our 2014 Trail Runner 29DBG away from home and need to winterize it. Rather than drive all the way to measure it, I thought I would inquire here. What is the bolt size for the hot water heater? So we can buy the correct fitting before driving to see it. Thanks either way!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

lorij64

Re: ATF: Trail Runner - Hot Water Heater Bolt Size

We have a fitting that size from our other RV but it's too big for our water heater bolt. I put that onto the bolt and its too big so needing a smaller size... darn...
Thank you tho!!!! :)

GWRam

Do you know if it's a suburban with the rod, or the other brand with just the drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO

What is a water heater bolt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

What is a water heater bolt?

On the Suburban brand it is the bolthead on the end of the Anode Rod. On Atwood models it is just a drain bolt.

lorij64

I can't open it! I believe it's probably the end of the Anode Rod... I'll go take a drive but thanks!!!

SLO

Ok. Been a plumbing contractor for 20 plus years. Never heard anode rod or drain plug called a bolt before. We use different terminology in California I guess.

GWRam

The only other size I found noted on another forum chat room said the Atwood drain plug bolt is 7/8". Their manuals don't tell what
is required. Just that it has 1/2"pipe threads.
I have heard, there are only two main sizes, one for the Atwood and one for the suburban. The suburban is the bigger or the two. And you said that size is too big.
If you took normal sockets from 1/2 to 1" with you you should be covered. The Atwood bolt head doesn't look much larger than the 1/2 pipe thread

lorij64

Ok. Been a plumbing contractor for 20 plus years. Never heard anode rod or drain plug called a bolt before. We use different terminology in California I guess.

anode rod.jpg

GWRam

Checked another Atwood forum. All but one said it is 7/8" one said it is 15/16".
That's all I can find online.

lorij64

It must be 7/8" but I will go there and measure it. I do appreciate ALL the responses! Thank you very much!!!:)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK didn't have the anode rod, but had a white plastic bolt head (ie - drain plug), which was a gas-only water heater, and I believe it was the Atwood!

I couldn't get at it with a socket wrench, so I used a crescent wrench on it (it was a PITA to get that thing uncorked).

Last edited:
R

rbrady

Good Morning - I just checked with our plant and the size of the bolt is 15/16" Please give me a call at Heartland with any other questions. 574-370-5728. I hope you are enjoying your Trail Runner!! - Ryan Brady