Trailer Aid Tire Jack

berky

Has anybody used this device on a trailer with spread axles? My North Trail 26LRSS has the spread axles, and I'm wondering:
- Will it lift the tire on the other axle off the ground, with the axle centerlines that far apart?
- Will I put any excessive stress on the leaf spring equalizer?

DonnyB007

Why not skip the jack deal and try this idea. You have two axles on your trailer and let's say your front tire is flat. Loosen the lugs for the wheel. The place leveling blocks down behind the rear tire. Put your truck in reverse and back up on the leveling blocks raising that front tire right off the ground. Finish loosening off your lug niuts and off comes the rim/ wheel. You will need to block wheels off and likely go up three levels high for enough room to get the wheel off.

tmcran

I have used the EZ Jack for a number years to change tires on several types of tandum axles. They can be used concave or convex. Just drive up or back.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I bought the heavy duty model....tried it once on concrete. All it did was slide on the concrete and flatten it. The one time it did work...it would not lift the other wheel high enough to change the tire. Our BH is heavy and does have the Mor/Ryde RS suspension. All I can say is I flattened a $65 piece of plastic.

hoefler

A good way to bend an axle or spindle on a heavy trailer. Wouldn't even attempt it on any of my trailers, I just get the bottle jack out.

Last edited:

berky

That pretty much confirms my suspicions. I saw one of these at an RV show this weekend. When I asked the vendor if it worked with spread axles, I got "I don't know. Why don't you try it?".
I thought I might save myself some effort with this spring's greasing and brake adjustment, but now I'll just stick with what works.

navyAZ1

I had one of these and used it on my equipment trailer and my horse trailer, worked great. I don't know why but have been told that these don't work all that well on RV's. Now I just call road side service and let them handle it. It is true on pavement they will slide but if I had a helper I'd just have them place their foot against the trailer buddy until the weight of the tire was on the lower level then it would stay in place, but if you don't have help it can get tricky. I never tried this trailer buddy on our BH since I was told it didn't lift the tire that needed to be changed off the ground high enough.

DonnyB007

With my old travel trailer, I changed a tire in the following manner:

1. Drop the tongue jack up front as far down as possible.
2. Go to the back and extend the end jacks as long as possible.
3. Go back to front and extend up tongue jack until wheels are off the ground.

Now I am sure the rhetoric will be that the back stabilizer jacks are not meant to hold that weight, but with my trailer at that time, it worked.,lol