Trailer got Side Swiped in Storage

happykraut

I'm so sorry to hear about this incident. Makes me sick just thinking about it. Unfortunately I'm forced to keep mine in a lot, county wide ordinance against keeping it at the house. My lot has cameras, but I believe they only watch the coded gate. I check on mine every Sun so if something happens at least I can report that it was OK last Sun.

Last edited:

donr827

When I had my trailer I would place a large orange cone at the front and the rear of the trailer.
Don

olcoon

i would file a police report. that gives you a record of the hit and run.

For most jurisdictions, taking a report on private property is just a "public service" for the insurance company. On top of that, hit & run charges probably won't be a criminal offense, again because it was on private property. Just depends on how the law was written up.

- - - Updated - - -

True, our previous rig was in fenced and secure with coded gate, cameras, lights, etc and had break-ins to the storage compartments of numerous rigs. They didn't catch anything on camera to help them.

Fenced area, locks with codes/keys, and CC cameras are basically (for the most part) a feel good security measure, in an attempt to keep the "honest" people honest. Most of the time, depending on the camera quality, time of day, weather, etc. are almost worthless to identify someone in a crime. Granted sometimes they'll help, but for the most part....

farside291

Well, the Allstate adjuster came out today and said the front cap will have to be replaced. I will schedule it into a shop after this trip. For now I am going to gorilla tape the seam where the fiberglass is cracked. Even after a week and a half it still hurts to look at the damage.

Rdsharp

🤕😔😓😣 I bet it does... glad you are going to be able to get it repaired...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

farside291

No one parks my unit but me. It was sticking out from the spot I had back in about 4 feet further than the unit next to me. Right now photos are at Blue Moon RV in Carrolton Tx waiting on their estimate to be sent to Allstate. Once Allstate approves their estimate parts can be ordered. Waiting, Waiting and Waiting. Fortunately its still useable and it doesn't leak.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No one parks my unit but me. It was sticking out from the spot I had back in about 4 feet further than the unit next to me. Right now photos are at Blue Moon RV in Carrolton Tx waiting on their estimate to be sent to Allstate. Once Allstate approves their estimate parts can be ordered. Waiting, Waiting and Waiting. Fortunately its still useable and it doesn't leak.

Blue Moon took good care of us with a strange delam issue. They farmed out the fiberglass work to a company that only does high-end RVs. We were very happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travis_g

We were camping with some friends at lake Tawakoni last weekend and one of the people there were telling us that their tt was stolen or of their life along with 9 other trailers two weeks before. The lit camera caught the thief license plate and the colors found him. He had already sold all the trailers. They've only recovered 2.

farside291

Finally going to Blue Moon for repair this Friday. They are going to replace and insulate the front cap. Have to bring it bag 30 days later after the paint cures to have all of the decals applied.

farside291

Re: Trailer got Side Swiped in Storage - FIXED

Trailers fixed, finally. Blue Moon finished last week. What took the longest was finding the correct decals for the front cap. They ended up ordering the entire set and only using a couple for the front. Looks great, they did a wonderful job. You would never know it had been damaged. Entire front cap insulated, replaced, painted, new decals installed. I highly recommend them to anyone in North Texas needing repairs.

farside291

Yes, it was a very long time. But, Blue Moon did not receive the front cap from heartland until September. Then it had to go through paint after install which only took a day. They had a heck of a time getting the correct decals, probably 3 or 4 attempts from heartland. They said they even received some that were green!?? Blue Moon did forget to put the "By Heartland" on the front under the big set of mountains. But after looking at it now for a few days, I think it looks better without it. There is "By Heartland" all over the sides of the camper. I am curious to see this winter how much of a difference the additional insulation added to the front cap makes. Also, when the cap was removed I had them look for my control cable for the roof satellite that Heartland said was supposedly in the cap but not pushed through the wall. Nope, no control wire only coax and wires for the lights and markers. So, looks like I paid for satellite prep but didn't get the control wire, only coax coiled in the ceiling. How does that even happen? Did someone just decide to not put the control wire in there? If I had plans on putting a dish on the roof I would be a little upset. But fortunately I am happy with my tripod mounted dish.

farside291

I don't but when I do I will post them. It really does look the same as before just minus the "By Heartland" sticker under the mountains on the front cap. The repair was totally transparent. You would never know it was even damaged.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Big Country sat prep was only the coax at that time. They did not put the controller wire in like they did with bighorn and landmark.

farside291

That's not what Heartland told me, doesn't really matter to me though. I'm not going to put a dish on it anyway. But good info to know. That would explain why no control cable. Coax is of no use without the control wire. I guess you could run it on the roof and make a hole into the TV cabinet and mount the controller in there. That makes more sense than putting the controller in Bedroom closet.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's not what Heartland told me, doesn't really matter to me though. I'm not going to put a dish on it anyway. But good info to know. That would explain why no control cable. Coax is of no use without the control wire. I guess you could run it on the roof and make a hole into the TV cabinet and mount the controller in there. That makes more sense than putting the controller in Bedroom closet.

Mine is a year or so older than yours and I installed one on my roof. Just had to run it when installed that is all. Prewired for satellite and prewired for winegard dish were two separate things and like I said Big Country was prewired for satellite not a winegard dish. I don’t know why they did this but they did.