Trailer Towing – ST Tires vs. LT Tires

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
A special message especially for those who insist on LT tires for your trailer: I hope you keep the cold air pressure up to the allowable maximum. Read the revised Step 5 on Fifth Wheel St. to learn the new recommendation.

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep the tires at the max inflated rating! Then you don't need a load chart or worry about being over weight at any given range of weight within your tire spec.

Like the ole saying, keep it simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

GOTTOYS

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep the tires at the max inflated rating! Then you don't need a load chart or worry about being over weight at any given range of weight within your tire spec.

That's what I do. Second set of LT tires. Trouble free towing...Don

DW_Gray

Matt, your comment leads me to think you may have not read my updated information on trailer tire inflation. (Selecting the Correct Tire Pressure for Your Trailer)

Anyone who is familiar with Step 5 in the past will immediately notice I removed all the trailer tire chart images.

Also, inflating trailer tires to maximum allowable cold air inflation does not eliminate the need for knowing individual axle and tire position weight.

So, I just repositioned the trailer tire info to the top.

Last edited:

piet10

A special message especially for those who insist on LT tires for your trailer: I hope you keep the cold air pressure up to the allowable maximum. Read the revised Step 5 on Fifth Wheel St. to learn the new recommendation.

Dave,

The link to the recommended RV Weighmasters appears to be broken. Great site, I have learned a lot from it.

Al

DW_Gray

Dave,

The link to the recommended RV Weighmasters appears to be broken. Great site, I have learned a lot from it.

Al

Thanks for the catch, Al. It's a side effect of trying to maintain two brother websites, one to appease the forum site managers. It doubles the amount of work to maintain information. And I'm not perfect and miss a link now and then.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Matt, your comment leads me to think you may have not read my updated information on trailer tire inflation. (Selecting the Correct Tire Pressure for Your Trailer)

Anyone who is familiar with Step 5 in the past will immediately notice I removed all the trailer tire chart images.

Also, inflating trailer tires to maximum allowable cold air inflation does not eliminate the need for knowing individual axle and tire position weight.

So, I just repositioned the trailer tire info to the top.

You need you update your site. There is alot of false information about ST tires.

The construction, design, materials and testing used in ST Special Trailer tires meet the higher load requirements, duty cycles and special demands of trailering.
False...

* Polyester cords in an ST tire are bigger than in a comparable P or LT tire.

* Steel cords used in ST tires have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet additional load requirements.

* ST tire rubber compounds contain chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking, particularly conditions resulting from extended storage and the unusual duty cycles of trailer tires.
No different then LT tires though could be less in ST tires.

* The slightly shallower tread depth of a trailer tire reduces sway and rides cooler, which adds to tire longevity.
False Statement...

* ST tires feature stiffer sidewalls, especially in the lower section which:
LT and P tires have much much stiffer side walls

* Reduces sidewall flexing causing the trailer to track straighter.
False due to the very light sidewalls...

* Diminishes the risk of trailer sway.
False....

* Lessens the risk of sidewall puncture and blowout.
Very False.... Again ST have a very thin sidewall

* ST tires generally offer approximately 10% percent more load capacity than a similar LT tire and nearly 40% more than a P passenger tire.
Somewhat true as LT and P tires must have a larger safety margin for Load Carrying ratings as they transport passengers, ST have no margin for error, which is bad.

The ST Difference information is published in Trailer Tires: Tips & Best Practices. (PDF)

Please note, all special trailer (ST) tires are rated for the maximum speed of 65 miles per hour.
Due to their lower manufactured qualities.

RV expert, Mark Polk, wrote an excellent article about using LT tires on trailers. Check it out here.

All of the above statements were written to market ST tires, nothing more and nothing less. They are not written on scientific facts because half of them can be disproved if you cut a LT and ST in half. Then compare what you find.

People very rarely have the amount of issues with LT tires like we do with ST tires. If the answer to the failures that of the ST is improper care and inflation and or overloading there should be a equal amount of failures from that said Person's TV. As they will transfer the same care from the trailer to the TV. If STtires had to meet the same manufactured regulations as LT tires then you would see this topic slowly go away. ST tires are built to a poor standard and they are a weak tire that will never last as along as a LT when ran at or near the max load rating.

Last edited:

DW_Gray

Matt, I appreciate your feedback. Do you have any citations (links) to support what you say is false or partly false? I'll gladly consider the information and make any necessary corrections.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
No I don't, but I did read on Discounts website the same misleading marketing information about ST's.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Y'all take this for what it is worth but I read this on the Tire Rack's website

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

danemayer

Y'all take this for what it is worth but I read this on the Tire Rack's website

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

If you follow their advice and subsequently have a problem, I wonder if Tirerack will stand behind their advice.

caissiel

You cannot fight stupidity and win because stupidity has more experience.

Like VW and BMW trying to show EPA diesel MPG ratings are to low.
Like IH telling Ford was using the wrong coolant in their diesel.
Like I tried to convince my management and SKF that we were using the wrong oil instead of grease in our $7000 bearings.
Like when I had to put my job on the line that the application of greased bearings in a water pit would work. That one proved right for 25 years.

Like I said I never won against stupidity.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Heartland . . . Quit giving us cheap tires!

The only way we can get Heartland, and all of the other RV manufactures to listen to us, is if we make a loud noise about this issue!

Perhaps here and now is the place to start this loud noise!

I'm in if anyone else is willing to jump on the band wagon . . .

wdk450

Re: Heartland . . . Quit giving us cheap tires!

I don't think the Heartland Owners website is the right place to start an RV owners movement on an issue involving a number of RV brands. I would go to some general RV website like RVNet, IRV2 or Good Sam.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I don't think the Heartland Owners website is the right place to start an RV owners movement on an issue involving a number of RV brands. I would go to some general RV website like RVNet, IRV2 or Good Sam.

It's gotta' start somewhere . . . why not here? :confused:

caissiel

I meant it toward the tire companies that need some guidance.

I fully understand that Heartland is caught in a competitive situation and dealers cannot add the option due to price also.

I still hate this new version of this app.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

wdk450

" I don't think the Heartland Owners website is the right place to start an RV owners movement on an issue involving a number of RV brands. I would go to some general RV website like RVNet, IRV2 or Good Sam. "

It's gotta' start somewhere . . . why not here? :confused:

Because the freedom to criticize on this forum is a gift from Hearland not found on other RV owner's forums. Because Heartland supports their owners to such a large financial degree in their monetary and service support at Heartland National Rallies, Heartland Regional Rallies and Heartland Chapter Rallies. Because Heartland has gone above and beyond their written warranty responsibilities in repairing 5 year old rigs like mine with frame flex, with a week's service in their factory repair facility - FREE.

No, I'm not a mindless Heartland cheerleader, but I am grateful for all the positive things that Heartland has done, and don't think their owners website is the proper place to start a towable RV wide complaint movement. BTW, how many Cameo, Montana, HR or other owners will you attract to your cause on the Heartland owners website???