Transfer Switch fried? Actually is OK.

BruteForce

This morning, while my youngest and I were out Turkey hunting and boon-dock camping, we had the Genset running (Onan 5500 EVAP).

We had 2x space heaters running when the boy decided to start up the microwave. Pop and no power except for the battery powered 12v items. I checked all the fuses and breakers and found nothing wrong. Every outlet, the TV, microwave.. all no-power.

Since we had no power inside, we decided to pack up and head for home.

Got home and tried shore power and that works. We have power inside the 5'er again. I can only assume the GenSet wire or something on the ATS fried -- but for the life of me, I have no idea where its at.

Unit is a 2010 Roadwarrior 395RW. I checked the front hatch where the GenSet and batteries are and couldn't find it there. I put my head as far under the sink as I could and looked in the area behind the breaker/fuse panel and didn't see anything that looked like the ATS.

Where, oh where might it be?

Oh, and I did bag a turkey! :rolleyes:

danemayer

Re: Transfer Switch fried?

Hi BruteForce,

Did you check the circuit breakers on the generator itself? Mine has 2 30-amp breakers. 2 space heaters and the microwave, along with the the power converter and depending on how the load was distributed, you might have exceeded 30 amps on one line.

The transfer switch is often located to the rear of the basement storage area. On Landmarks and Bighorns, you have to take down the rear basement wall to get to it.

BruteForce

Hi BruteForce,

Did you check the circuit breakers on the generator itself? Mine has 2 30-amp breakers. 2 space heaters and the microwave, along with the the power converter and depending on how the load was distributed, you might have exceeded 30 amps on one line.

The transfer switch is often located to the rear of the basement storage area. On Landmarks and Bighorns, you have to take down the rear basement wall to get to it.

Where would those breakers be on the Genset? Someplace obvious? Pouring rain right now, so will pop the cover on the Genset when the downpour stops.

danemayer

On ours, they're right next to the start switch on the front of the genny.

travis_g

Open front compartment and the front cover of the genset will pop off. There should be two breakers on the left hand side.

porthole

Retired

No doubt you exceeded your genset capability.

2 heaters running 15 amps each, a micro at another 10-15, the converter pulling 10-12 amps, hot water heater maybe?

As above, two breakers under the cover. You can grab the cover at the top and just pull towards you. It snaps in.

BTW, the genny is designed and needs that cover installed when running.

BruteForce

So the weather let up long enough yesterday for me to check out the Genset. Sure enough, one of the 30amp breakers had popped. Flipped both breakers to OFF then back to ON and tested. Working well again!

Now, from what I can hear, my transfer switch might be under the stairs and "in the basement" by my forward most door. I can hear a CLICK when the generator finally transfers power. Can anybody confirm? To access, I assume I need to take out a wall panel in my forward storage compartment.

I'm going to be adding a solar panel system and invertor/convertor and will likely need to access the transfer switch.

Thanks, all!

danemayer

When you start the generator, it takes about 20-30 seconds to stabilize output and then the transfer switch contactor energizes. That's the clunk noise you're hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BruteForce

When you start the generator, it takes about 20-30 seconds to stabilize output and then the transfer switch contactor energizes. That's the clunk noise you're hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My question was -- if anybody knew where the transfer switch was located. I have an idea as to location, but it looks like I'd be tearing out a wall and possibly the in-house vac system to get access to it.

danemayer

On Landmarks, you have to take down the basement wall. It's not too difficult. Perhaps another Road Warrior 395 owner can tell you if it's in the same place on your rig.

porthole

Retired

Most of the toy haulers have it behind the basement wall.
Which central vac?

If it is the "Yellow Jacket" with the black cap you unscrew to get to the bag - remove the cap and the wall will slip off the vac, as the vac itself is attached to the framing behind the wall.

Unplug your trailer. Crawl in the basement, have someone plug in and listen for the clunk.
Should be about in the center, behind the wall.

BruteForce

Thanks for all the help. From what I can tell, my transfer switch is behind the basement wall on the door side - and likely just below the steps up to the main bedroom. I'll pull the wall tonight and confirm.

scottyb

Get familiar with the process of pulling that wall. Just about everything you do, electrical or plumbing, will be accessed that way. Many people customize it with access doors or other creative ways to make it easier to get into.