Travel help please

BobHinSC

5/26/2015
Good morning everyone,
I am looking to travel from Charleston SC to Saugerties NY in July. It will be just me and my 2 dogs. I have a few questions.
1. What would be the best route? Up 95 to 295 around Baltimore or another route?
2. How many days would it take?
3. What would be a safe driving distance each day?
4. Recommendations for places to stay?
5. Are there safe, free overnight stops that you have stayed at along that route?
Thank you very much for your help and advice.

rdufek

My preference would be to take 26 over to 77 and straight up 81 into Pa. I did this route last year going to Disney from upstate NY. Once in Pa take 78 over to 287 to 87. It's a little bit longer, but not much and just under 1000 miles. It's very do able in 2 days. I like this route as there are many Pilots and Flying J truck stops, very easy in and out for gas and a lot of them have RV lanes. AND most important, "NO TOLLS." I don't have any recommendations of campgrounds along the way as I stayed in Walmart's on my way down in the spring time. With you traveling mid summer and with your dachshunds I'm guessing a campground with hookups would be your best bet, some place around 500 miles as a half way point. I'm not sure if you know where you are staying in Saugeries but I highly recommend the Jellystone Campground LAZYRIVERNY.COM or the Saugerties KOA. Both a little pricey as they are close to NYC but very nice campgrounds. Good luck on you plans and safe travels.

Bob and Valerie Dufek

And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
HOC # 2858

danemayer

Can I stay overnight free at a Pilot or Flying J truck stop?
Sure. Usually a good idea to ask inside though.

One thing to be aware of: the trucks that park 3 feet away from you will leave their engines running all night. It can be very loud.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Again, be sure to check with the store manager before staying the night.
Not all Walmarts allow overnight parking.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just a side note. Most newer semi trucks can't run all night. EPA has had the engine builder install a auto shut off after 15 minutes if idling. Now the reefer units may/will run all night. If you stay at a truck stop....do not put your slides out.

mlpeloquin

Don't use the toll roads. Did that with our old class C with a tow dolly. That is unless you bring your big home safe full of cash. Each axle including the one on top of the dolly was counted. What a ripoff. The longest day of our lives. Bumper to bumper with miles and miles of construction. Oh forgot. If you can take missing the great view of Harbor Freights large warehouse, then you are good to go.

Power-Stroke

Just an "FYI".... Traffic on I-77 north of Charlotte (both north and south bound) are under construction. Expect delays!!! Other than that, 77 to 81 is a beautiful drive.

Jay