Travel into Canada

Kblock108

I have heard some,people saying they need special documentation from your car insurance company for the truck/trailer, anyone know what this is called. Also, we will have 4 adults and 2 children (5 and 3), is birth crest okay...the info I have found is a little vague. Anyone bring wood into Canada?

alex00

Also, anyone have issues declaring firearms? Versus not declaring it...

Not declaring a firearm, if discovered could land you in incredibly deep water. Check out this link to learn about bringing a firearm into Canada.

If you plan to travel the US with a firearm the Canadians don't allow, you should look into a border town gun shop that will hold the gun for you. Obviously that only works if you plan to enter and exit Canada at the same point. If you plan to enter at one crossing, and return from another, you can send the firearm to yourself from one FFL to another at your re-entry point.

For many of us, leaving the gun at home is not a viable option. There are plenty of ways to stay within the law and still visit Canada.

Kblock108

Thanks guys for the feedback, my stint in Canada will only be a short portion of my trip and I hate to be without my whole trip, for only a few days...I will check more into my options, thanks.

dbbls59

You can not bring fire wood into Canada. We had Passports when we went but I think there is another form that is acceptable. Don't think birth certificates are acceptable anymore.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is an Enhanced Drivers License that is supposed to be an alternative to a passport. I think the cost is somewhere between a passport and a regular license.

brianharrison

We have always used passports as the preferred means for identification, even when our kids were small.

Travelling with children - If the parents last names are different (Mom keeps her maiden name), or blended family with the kids having different last names - a long form birth certificate (here in Canada) showing both parents names is a must for showing at the border..... As well, for blended families, a permission letter to travel from the other birth parent (if the case) is good to have as well. Some border agents will ask to ensure the children are freely traveling with the one or the other parent.

Not sure if any of these scenarios apply for your situation - but just in case others read this thread.

Brian

Gizzy

Be sure to check with US official sites to see what you will need to RE ENTER the US when you come back. We use a passport, but I believe there are other documents that will work.

pegmikef

I have heard some,people saying they need special documentation from your car insurance company for the truck/trailer, anyone know what this is called. Also, we will have 4 adults and 2 children (5 and 3), is birth crest okay...the info I have found is a little vague. Anyone bring wood into Canada?

I don't know if it is really needed, but I always get a form from my insturance agent (Farmers) that simply states the vehicles are also covered in Canada. I use either my Passport or passport card at the border.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

The passport card can be used at the Canadian and Mexican and other borders. The last time I renewed our passports I got the cards too. I think they are about 25 bucks (a lot cheaper than a passport). My sister didn't even bother to get a passport and just uses her card.

Manzan

Some border states issue enhanced drivers licenses and more other states are doing it a well. Work for Canada and Mexico but not if you are flying. We have both the enhanced drivers licenses and passports but used the enhanced license going to Canada. Have never had a problem entering Canada other than being asked if I was aware of their gun laws. Can be bad re-entering the States depending on what sort of day the border guard is having. Above all, going either direction, don't be wise a** Good way to have them take everything out of your TV and trailer and let you put it all back. We have never had a problem with insurance--we do carry a proof of insurance card in our vehicles--state law.