Travelling 6 hr with a full fridge, what mode should I run it on.

TacoTom

Hi All,... we are leaving our resort location and travelling approx. 6 hr to our new location,... we have a Cyclone 3800 with the double door Norcold refer.

While travelling should I operate on the fridge on Generator power or Propane?

Thanks

Tom

porthole

Retired
Propane will do just fine for you.

The only time I have used the genny when running is for the AC. Either to start pre-cooling the trailer a half hour out or if my wife is in the trailer laying down.

6 hours you should only see a slight raise in temp if you had the system shut off completely.

danemayer

It would be pretty expensive to run the generator for 6 hours to supply 110V to the frig. $15-20 depending on price of propane.

Birchwood

A friend of mine has a huge motor home and he also used to have an RV dealership.When he travels he runs his generator because if he says if he doesn't it may not work when he needs it.Apparently these diesel generators need to be worked often and no one hears them running when traveling.He runs his from Delaware to Florida .
Something to think about??

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have run for 14 hours pulling with the frig on propane, using the auto setting. Once you get to your destination and plug up to shore power, it will automatically switch to 110 power. We have never had a camper with a built-in genny so not sure about running that while you are traveling.

caissiel

Run mine all the time while traveling. Sometimes on gas for weeks. Gas is usually cooler for ours. A frige needs to run, both on gas and electric.

Jim.Allison

If your on shore power now, turn it down and make it as cold as you can prior to leaving. Then don't worry about it, in six hours the temp will back to where you normally keep it. BUT if you dont want to or cant for some reason, then DITTO on the LP. But remember, lite LP running in your rig is just like having a giant cigarette lighter going when you arrive at a gas station. Your owners manual cautions against it. If you are at diesel pumps, and there are no gasoline pumps around then the flame is harmless, but if there are gas pumps nearby, its just like fueling while smoking even worse.:cool:

Bohemian

We travel with the fridge on LP and the LP on all the time.Yes, we all need to remember that we are required to turn off the LP and cut the 12V power when refueling, getting LP and when traveling through hazard restriction zones like tunnels.When using LP while traveling we do NOT put the fridge in AUTO but in LP. The auto function fails too many times. Also, when starting make sure there is LP in the LP line (if the LP has been off). We do this by lighting a burner on the stove and running it for about 1 minute.