TT Leveling - Question from a Newbie

I haven't mounted level indicators on the outside of my TT yet, so we've been using a 8" level while setting up camp.

Is the kitchen counter the best surface for measuring from? The floor is easier to use, but last weekend I found the floor was OK side-to-side but the kitchen counter showed we were off by more than I'd like.

For front-to-back I've found the floor and the counter to be virtually identical.

Best regards,
Chris

priorguy

I've heard the fridge is the best spot to check as it runs more efficiently when level. I usually start out on the A-frame and am fine when I check inside. Plus the power tongue jack is there for front to back adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Dan.

I was able to ask an RV tech today. He agreed the A-frame is a good spot. Also the center of the floor if using a 2' level.

He said some of the refrigerators are now angled down on the bottom to help liquids drain out, so they are not always reliable for side-to-side checks.

Best regards,
Chris

DonnyB007

Thank you Dan.

I was able to ask an RV tech today. He agreed the A-frame is a good spot. Also the center of the floor if using a 2' level.

He said some of the refrigerators are now angled down on the bottom to help liquids drain out, so they are not always reliable for side-to-side checks.

Best regards,
Chris

For side to side levelling -
I placed a "Acculevel" bubble level in the front Center of my trailer; high enough that I can easily see it in my rear view mirror. This level even tells me how many blocks under my trailer tires and which side they need to be placed. This takes care of the side to side levelling.

For end to end levelling
I place a foot long level in the front A-Frame of my trailer and jack up/ down to level the trailer end to end. I used to double check my levelling by placing a "Bullseye" bubble level inside my fridge, but I was always 100% level using the above method, so I never do the fridge level check anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use the Hopkins Level set as shown in Don's attachment. First I put the rig exactly where I would like it then check the side to side which tells me how much I need to raise the low side. Pull up enough to add boards then back up on the boards. Front to back is a no brainer. FOr mounting, they have self adhesive strips and I just mount them in a spot convenient for me. Having a 5th wheel, I mounted mine close to the left front corner near the landing gear switch.

evolvingpowercat

I have the Edge which is similar to the North Trail, in that it has a flat single level sandwich floor over a 2 rail flat chassis that everything is built on top of at the factory. The vinyl floor in the center between the frame rails is what I based everything on. The "A" frame may or may not be perfectly aligned with the main floor. In my Edge anyway it is not I could not just put a level right on the A frame without shims and get the main area of the trailer level based upon that.

I took some extra time and got it level on the floor from front to back and side to side. Then I did some spot checks to see if this also made the kitchen counter top level and the sink top level, which in my Edge it did. Personally if the floor and sink top don't match I would level based on the kitchen counter but its a matter of taste.

Then once I had Edge level to taste, I mounted two of this type levels, Hopkins 08525, using 3M body side molding tape:
51zR9yGhOmL._SX450_.jpg

I put one on the outside of the trailer next to the door for front to back leveling, and another just inside the door on the side of the cabinet next to the door for side to side leveling.

I also have a bubble up by the hitch tongue for coarse leveling. After you have leveled your trailer a few times you will get to know how many blocks to put under wheels to get side to side level based on the bubble position.

DonnyB007

I haven't mounted level indicators on the outside of my TT yet, so we've been using a 8" level while setting up camp.

Is the kitchen counter the best surface for measuring from? The floor is easier to use, but last weekend I found the floor was OK side-to-side but the kitchen counter showed we were off by more than I'd like.

For front-to-back I've found the floor and the counter to be virtually identical.

Best regards,
Chris

Here is the best wheel levelling product I have found. "TRILEVELER"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 41
Don, that TriLeveler is something that arrived with one of my recent orders. I got a pair and they stack with each other well. With the wide axle spacing I was not sure one would be appropriate, so the pair it was. If I could get away with one, I probably would have bought the Andersen kit.

Best regards,
Chris