Turn off water when away

sdrubrecht

We usually turn everything off when we leave our Cyclone in storage. Got lazy as we were coming back in 4 days. Came back to find a leak had developed in the connection at the toilet supply. Water ran behind the toilet, down the wall, out under the cabinet near the fuse and breaker boxes, soaked the carpet at the bottom step, then ran along the kitchen cabinets. Just a slow leak luckily. Took out drawers and fuse and breaker boxes and and basement wall to dry out hidden spaces. Our door mat and bathroom mat luckily got most of the water. Couple of hours drying it all out, $2 plumbing part to fix leak, all ok except for a few water stains at the floor of the kitchen cabinets. Had we been there, a soaking wet rug at the toilet would have alerted us right away. Could have been terrible with a worse leak or longer time away. Anyway, lesson learned : TURN IT ALL OFF WHEN LEAVING!

Gaffer

We turn the water off if we are gone all day or longer. Also the electric water heater.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes it could have been. Water pressure can vary at times. Homes are the same way. If the city turns off the water....then turns it back on there can be a high pressure spike.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We turn off our water if we are going to be gone more than about 4 hours. Trace

KaosAD

I have a Y installed at the spigot, I flip the lever off even if I leave for a few minutes. I just picture an elbow cracking or crimp failing at 50psi. At 50 psi you can get about a gallon of water in 30 seconds. I then picture a gallon of water on and under the floor, let alone many gallons :eek: It may be overkill but I turn the water and water heater off every time I leave.

happyappy

I completely understand turning off the water... But why the water heater?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FiremanBill

Good advice there. I had the outdoor shower hose split at the end of the hose on my old Trail Cruiser. Was sitting outside and heard water running. Fortunately just a small amount got up under the sink in the bathroom but had we not been there... yikes.

Funny how you learn all these little lessons along the way.

Birchwood

We don't turn our water off if we go away for the day(6 hrs) but most definitely OFF if we
go over night.

ILH

I remember reading about someone who came back from a day touring to find their rig flooded. Since then we've always made a point of turning off the water when we go out. It's cheap insurance.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We also turn the water & hot water heater when we are away for the day. We know friends that had a leak while gone and quite a mess to clean up. Doug

KaosAD

I can only speak for myself about why I turn off both. When you turn your water off, you have a situation of water draining out of the water heater if a leak still develops. Paranoia kicks in for me as I envision the water heater kicking on and poof, burning up the heater or the entire RV. Since my dog hasn't mastered turning off water valves or working fire extinguishers yet my routine is, hit the water heater switch next to the door, walk around the trailer and hit the Y switch, 15 seconds equals peace of mind about my home and puppy :)