Twisted Frame Above Axles

bowser66

I have a 2009 Landmark Oakmont that I purchased new in July 2009. I have been having problems with springs and tire wear. I took it to a reputable RV dealer near my home to be checked out. They told me that the main I-beam above the passenger side axles was bent or twisted inward. As a direct result the spring is twisted, the hangers are bent and the shocks were broken. They told me that the only way to fix this was to have the frame straightened and then have everything repaired. They said it was beyond their capabilities to repair. I was told that it is dangerous and should not be towed for any distance. They recommended that I contact Heartland, which I will do the first thing in the morning. So I suppose I have three questions. 1. Will I get any help from Heartland or Lippert? 2. Can a problem this severe even be fixed and if so where? 3. Am I simply stuck with a 70K RV that can not be towed? Any help or suggestions in this matter would be appreciated because I am literally sick over this.

danemayer

Hi bowser66,

Sorry you're having to deal with news like this. I think I would get a 2nd opinion as this sounds like something that would be pretty hard to do in normal use.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I bet you are sick, it would kill me to hear this as well. It sounds so dramatic, it's hard to fathom. Due they offer any insight as to how this twisting occurred? Can you post pics?

Lippert will want to see pics and ask for measurements, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that both previous posts were right on. Second opinion and a truck alignment shop.
I doubt that the frame is in dire straits. An alignment shop should be able to re-enforce the frame by welding some plates to it and then re-enforcing with something like the X-Factor that Jon mentioned. Or the shop can weld some 2 in. square tubing across from spring hanger to spring hanger. I have done this.
Then a simple alignment.
Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You posted in January of 2012 about having a bent spring.
Was anything noted at that time to be out of place that may have caused that spring to bend?
What was the repair at that time? Just replace the spring?

Peace
Dave

bowser66

I had a mobile RV repair take care of the spring. He only replaced the spring. I am guessing that the frame was bent at that time in order to twist the spring. I did notice that the spring hanger appeared to be bent. I didn't dream that the frame would be bent and assumed the mobile RV repair shop would have fixed the problem or at least referred me to someone who could.

bowser66

Just needing a little hope!

I recently found out that the frame above the door side (passenger side) axles of my 2009 Landmark Oakmont is bent or twisted inward. As a result all three spring hangers are pushed inward as well. This has twisted the springs and broke the shocks off as well as caused uneven tire tread wear. I have taken pictures and sent them to Lippert and they are supposed to get back to me. The RV is currently sitting at a RV dealer who is unable to fix the problem and the dealer says the rig is not safe to tow. So I have two questions. 1. Can a problem of this magnitude be repaired? 2. If so, how do I get it to a facility that can fix it? I suppose I am only looking for a ray of hope. All responses will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bowser66, the advice you have been given is good. Take your rig to a big truck frame shop.
There is one off of Deyoung just west of I-57. I don't remember the name of it or if they do alignments, but they should be able to repair it.
Give them a call. Think it might be called Vernell's or something like that.

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

Find a local big truck frame shop...they can fix it better than new...
Right on, and they will reinforce it as kakampers states, it truly will be better than new. We have done this with a number of trailers over the years. (not coaches)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My Bighorn had twist and cracked the frame above the axles.
I took it to a big truck/trailer shop. They welded the cracks and added three 2x2 square tubes across from spring hanger to spring hanger.
Along with an alignment it's better than new now.
They had no problem with working on it.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
There is a Lippert LIP sheet that shows the same repair for tears/twisting above the axles....

From moderator: See attachment this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

Bowser66. Cookie:
I was looking at local frame/alignment shops in my area (Sacramento) and came across this one. Look at the before/after photos at the bottom of the page along with the photo of their truck frame bending rig atop those photos: http://www.westcoastframe.com/frame.htm

WOW!!!