Two Batteries in Parallel Questions

Lynn1130

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008...ers-Used-with-Helicopters-Due-to-Fire-Hazard/
http://graysonhobby.com/catalog/battery_saftey.php

The fire issue while a hazard during charging also comes from crashes and shorting out in the crash or in some other shorting incident. They are safer but not totally safe and while I cannot find the article on some electric car fires that have been attributed to LiPoly it is out there somewhere. It is a real bummer to watch a $5K aircraft go in for a hard landing that would have been repairable and then watch it catch fire when the battery goes up.

I use LiFi and LiPo batteries in several different aircraft and they are wonderful but still something that a novice should not be fooling with until they are made safer. Most who would install them would be in the novice catagory. And the chargers that are used by most in RC are state of the art now and control balancing and charging to avoid issues.

I admit to being a novice in most battery issues and probably have enough knowledge to get by without burning things up but what I have read does not convince me that they are safe enough yet to sleep over the top of them.

Bohemian

LiFePO4 Li-Ion batteries present extremely little fire hazard. They are not the same chemistry as the Li-Ion batteries that have been in the news. They run about 2x the price of AGM batteries with about the same net deliverable capacity.

The Li-Ion batteries can deliver from 80%-100% of their rated capacity. Lead acid about 50% of their rated capacity. Li-Ion have much longer life as rated by number of charge cycles. (By far)

Let me add. Li-Ion may require a new charger/converter, or a reconfiguration of the one you have as they require a higher voltage (14.4V) to get to full capacity.

Lynn1130

OK, now that we have the nomenclature ironed out I will agree that LiFe are much safer that the LiPo. Previous posts indicated LiPo and they are not safe in some conditions. I use LiFe for receiver batteries and for my transmitter batteries mainly for the fact that they are safer. LiPo are used as power batteries for electric RC aircraft and must be handled a little differently.

Lynn1130

In an attempt to bring this back on topic or at least closer to where it started. In selecting flooded or AGM batteries and assuming that due to weight issues we decide on 2 6 volt, which battery is going to be better for the purpose originally asked about? What, other than gassing, and the option to set at any angle, makes AGM better than flooded? Or are they considering the cost.

avvidclif

Out on the tongue where they are easy to check and fill let your pocketbook decide. In a closed compartment inside a 5er I have AGM. No venting, no water level to maintain.

lwmcguir

We run two AGM 12v batteries and it has worked very well. About $200 each for a C31.
No issues in 5 years. We gave up 6 volt batteries back in the 60's

mbopp

Back to the OP who doesn't want to spend a lot.......

The cheapest way is to buy another G24 battery and wire it in parallel. OK, you can go with AGM's or 6V golf cart batteries but it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much dry camping you plan to do.

Before its first trip I converted our NT to LED lighting. I paid an upcharge and had the dealer install a G29 battery, then added another one in parallel. From our previous trailer I had a deck-mount IOTA converter I mounted to the ceiling of the front pass-through. WFCO converters aren't known to go into boost mode easily. Since our favorite sites are shaded solar doesn't work for me. An hour a day on the generator keeps the batteries charged. I've never run the batteries down to 50% to see how many days I could go.

Bohemian

Batteries that are not matched by brand, model, type, age, and condition can present a real hazard and also can lead to death of the batteries.

Jim.Allison

Batteries that are not matched by brand, model, type, age, and condition can present a real hazard and also can lead to death of the batteries.

A single battery in a bank can be replaced with an identical battery if the system is less than a year old without significantly affecting the system. Whether one should do it or not, is a choice one has to make at the time.

Jim.Allison

Trojan T105 FLA, $150 delivered to your home in Tucson or Phoenix Az. AZ, I strongly suggest you use FLA batts that you can maintain, you also need a good regulated charging system, that takes the temperature of the batt into consideration while charging it. Perhaps your converter charger has this feature as an accessory.

The FLA outperforms the AGM's. Unless you have a sophisticated system you will not notice the difference between them. To me the FLA is serviceable, and a good set of FLA industrial batts, such as the Trojans, should last 8 to 10 years, if maintained properly and not abused. The AGMs are not serviceable and are generally not used by people that are serious about their systems. However some people like the fact that they can build an AGM system in areas with less than desirable ventilation, and without risk of corrosion. You are really asking the $64 question, in that even the affectionados argue this point.

Here is a link to trojans battery guide (PDF), listed are every group size, capacity, post configuration, weight, and case dimension. It is sorted by 6, 8, 12, AGM, FLA. Study the 20 and 100 hour capacities for comparisons. Each battery in the PDF, has a corresponding batt in another brand, except for Trojans top performers. If the 20 hour rate is not listed on a battery that you intend to buy, then the battery is probably not a good value for you.

Trojan has 7 FLA GC batts, all with the same battery case. Their weight ranges from 58 LBS to 72 LBS. The T105 is the traditional GC battery used by many RVs. The T105 is good for 225 amp hours at the 20 hour rate, more at the 100 hour rate. You should only use 50% before recharging it. The t105 is 62 lb battery meaning that your system will weigh 124 lb for 225 amp hours, or 113 usable amp hours.

The 6v GC AGM is a 217 amp hour battery, you will have 108 amp hours available and no maintenance and minimal to no gassing.

A Trojan T105 FLA can be had for about $150 bucks, I could not find the price for a AGM 6v GC, but I'm sure a phone call would help with that.

http://usabatterysales.com/

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0111_ProdSpecGuide.pdf

Arizona? I would eliminate AGM and Gel Cell from the lineup. BTW, Gel Cells have not proven themselves in this arena. Hope this clears it up for you.

In an attempt to bring this back on topic or at least closer to where it started. In selecting flooded or AGM batteries and assuming that due to weight issues we decide on 2 6 volt, which battery is going to be better for the purpose originally asked about? What, other than gassing, and the option to set at any angle, makes AGM better than flooded? Or are they considering the cost.

Lynn1130

Thanks! I did look at the manual for the Progressive Dynamics PD 9200 and it does have thermal protection.

scottyb

A Trojan T105 FLA can be had for about $150 bucks, I could not find the price for a AGM 6v GC, but I'm sure a phone call would help with that.

Just got a quote for 8 Lifeline GPL-4CT from Centex Battery in Bastrop TX. He also priced the size 8D and 4D 12V batteries. No delivery since Bastrop is only about an hour away.

(8) GPL-4CT 6v, 220 ah true deep cycle sealed AGM batteries: $275.00 each
So with taxes, about $300. Each, out the door (6 cores is fine)
That would give you 880 amp hours for about $2,400.

Other options:

(4) GPL-8DL 12v, 255 ah true deep cycle sealed AGM batteries: $ 596.00 each
So, with taxes, about $650. With taxes
That gives you 1,020 amp hours for about $2,600.

(4) GPL-4DL 12v, 210 ah true deep cycle sealed AGM batteries: $505.00 each
So with taxes, about $550.00 each
Provides 840 amp hours for about $2,200.

wdk450

You might also be thinking about battery security if you have your battery box out on the trailer tongue. I mean, people steal easily accessible stuff, they can easily sell, even if it is heavy.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You might also be thinking about battery security if you have your battery box out on the trailer tongue. I mean, people steal easily accessible stuff, they can easily sell, even if it is heavy.

I had both batteries cable locked to the tongue on my Trail Runner (photo below) along with both propane tanks.

Since the battery in the Prowler is in the basement and behind a locked door, I'm not too worried about that, but I do have a cable lock around both propane tanks plus one on my slider hitch in the back of the truck (I have a much heavier duty cable lock on the hitch now than the one pictured).

I know that all it takes is a good set of cable cutters . . . but at least it is a deterrent as most thieves probably don't travel with cable cutters at the ready!

NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg

Jim.Allison

Thanks! I did look at the manual for the Progressive Dynamics PD 9200 and it does have thermal protection.

It has thermal protection to protect the charger/converter, not the battery.

- - - Updated - - -

What amp hour capacity is the OP wanting to install? You guys are talking in the 800 to 900 amp hour range, I run a BC3650 RL with a Xantrex 3012 inverter charger and 544 watts of solar. I would but less in batts and some in solar. I would spend about 500 in batts and 500 in solar and be done with it.

jimtoo

Hi Clamper,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

chewman

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. We went with the Interstate Batteries 2 x 6v GC2-XHD's. I also ordered a couple 6v battery boxes off of Amazon. I installed everything last night and so far so good.
Again, thank you to everyone. There really are a ton of options out there.

We have a new Big Country with the residential fridge.
I have charged the batteries but do not have 12 vote service anywhere in the coach.
It seems that I have something tripped such as a fuse or gfi.
So far I have been unable to locate any such fuse . Does anyone have any suggestions, or has this happened to anyone else?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
CE, check your bank of breakers. There is one that has a tiny reset button.

Peace
Dave