Two Way Radios

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've got a set of Cobras, range is 5 miles (they say, anyways). About the only time we use them is manuevering the rig into position. They were a freebie for getting a credit card.

caissiel

We use cobras and use them in the truck and car as my wife usually brings the car behind me. I have the base in the truck and charge the talky in the truck when we stop we switch. Have to charge overnight because on the last long trip we ran out of batteries.
Following me with the Toyota Matrix the mileage went way up from 35 to 44 MPG.
So now we never tow the car behind the trailer because the wife takes care of my back for me and the car gas is not much anyway.

SilverRhino

I've used Motorola radios, both work and recreation, for 30 years....good reliable product. The set we are using in the RV are about 12 years old and still work great. The newer models have extras that might be nice.....but you only need the basic push to talk for maneuvering your trailer.

We have also used our cell phones on occasion....free phone to phone in the network. Saw a couple using the push to talk feature on their cell phones at one park....but that service costs extra each month, so we don't use it.

Travel Safe!

lhetsler

After doing a lot of reasearch last year when I needed new radios, I bought some Midlands, they make CB radios and such too. I bought a pair that came with dual base charger and nice not to have to change batteries. I left mine in the truck all winter and in April they still had a good charge. They work well for truck to wife comunication for backing. I almost never backup without them. Just too many things can happen. Don't believe all the hype about GMRS and Family Radio (FRS) going 5, 10 or 30 miles. If all was perfect and you had line of sight with the other person and you were both outside with no hills, no obstructions, no electrical wires, you might get 2 or 3 miles. Beyond that, don't count on it. We have used ours for car to car communication when traveling with others in different cars and they worked well, but again not anywhere near what the hype is.