Uncomfortable tow

goducks11

Re: Uncomfotable tow

Any chance that one or more tires on the trailer are out of balance or have other issues such as a belt that has shifted and created a lump? bearings and hubs good?

Since it tows fine on smooth roads I don't think the tires are the issue. It jerks only when the trucks tires hit a bump. Never have felt anything when the TT's tires hit a bump. No sway either. Whats really confusing is that we can leave things on the counter and drive for a couple hrs and those things are still on the counter. It's my conclusion that it's something to do with the tongue on the TT. When I see a bump coming I know I will be getting a rough ride, and I can look in my mirrors and watch the TT hit the same bump, but never feel anything in the truck. One thing I was going to check was the play in the coupler. How tight should the ball be. I have some play, from what I've seen it seems normal.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

As a temporary measure to try instead of the anti-wobble kit is to wrap the ball mount with duct tape until it fits snuggly into the receiver.

goducks11

You are using the correct size (5/8") pin for the ball mount to receiver connection. The ball mount have much movement in the receiver? Have you tried a cushioned ball mount? http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball_Mounts-co-Cushioned_Shank.aspx or tried an anti-wobble kit like Reese makes http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1315&part=13609

Not sure how the last item works. But can't really use the cushioned stinger with my Andersen WD. I will try the duct tape idea. It's going to be awhile before we get out again, couple weeks min. But I think I will look into the coupler situation. I remember when I was dealing with this issue early on in 2010 that I did check the coupler and it seemed normal. But I'll try anything at this point.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

The anti-wobble kit works by using a Threaded pull pin that tightens with wrench (included) pulling ball mount to side of hitch box opening - preventing rattling. Also make sure that the ball and coupler do not have excessive play and the correct size ball for the coupler is being used.

TeJay

I just started reading the responses and Teds hit the nail on the head. We have a NT-24-RBS that we pull with a 2010 F-150. When we got the TT I was very surprised that there were no shocks installed. We pulled a 1,000 miles and when we got home I installed shocks. It made a big difference. You can check my others posts regarding this issue. Common sense says that when any suspension hits a bump the oscillations have to be dampened. If those oscillations are not dampened that energy of motion is transfered to the TT and TV. I always install Bilstein shocks on my TV and I got Monroe's for the NT. You can read from my information that I have a lot of experience in the mechanical field. I will never be convinced that travel trailers don't need shocks. Some units do have them but in most cases they are installed improperly, usually at a very shallow angle which renders them almost useless. If you ask why all TT don't come with shocks then ask why many don't come with self-adjusting brakes???? Self-adjusting brakes came on cars back in the early 60's. Lippert and Dexter make almost all of the TT axles. We had Lippert and no self-adjusters. Dexter does have them on the 3,000# and 3,500# axles as well as most others I believe. No shocks because owners don't demand a better ride and the manufacturer's want to save a buck.
JMTCW
TeJay

goducks11

I did install shocks on my TT. I put Monroe shocks on. They may not be at the right angle to be 100% effective. I had to install them on the inside of the frame rails since the slide mechanism interfered too much. The axles are under the springs. I really wanted to attach the lower shock mounts to the u-bolt plate but then the shortest shocks would've been too long when attatching to the inside of the frame rail as there is a water tank placed directly above the axles. I had to mountthe upper end on the bottom of the frame rail. I know they work as the TT never bounce when going over up and down sections of the road. We have an intersection that we have to cross to get to the street we live on. It has a real bumpy spot about 5' long, sorta rutted. The truck jerks like crazy but the TT glides right over. When they are not on just stepping into the TT you could feel it bounce, after installing the shocks most of the bounce was eliminated. I tried to get them as verticle as possible. Took quite a while to fab the bottom plates. I'll try and post some picks.

They do have eyes on the ends as opposed to bolts so they will rotate better.
Sewertube004Small.jpg

goducks11

Heres another pic of the shocks. The black cord is the TT's power cord. It's in winter mode and plugged in. I just ran it over the axles to keep it out of the way. The bottom plate is 5/16 angle. I ran a U-bolt around the axle and connected it to the 5/16 angle. I welded another piece if 3/4" angle on top of the 5/16 angle to keep the 5/16 angle from twisting. I then put a 1/2 tack weld from the 3/4" angle to the axle. Not much penetration but just enough to help. They have been on for 2+ yrs and have around 7000 miles on them. I have layed underneath the TT and had the wife bounce it and you could see the shocks working. Kinda crude but once again they work great. TT rides real smooth over bumps and nothing falls over inside. We never tie down the free standing dinette chairs and have never had one tip over.

Today I'm going to go to a trailer parts store and check how much play is in couplers. Hoping they have one similar to the one I have. I went out this morning and took my WD ball 5/16" and stuck it up in the TT's coupler and there is about 3/16-1/4" up and down movement and some front to back movement.
shocks001_zps06038cb7.jpg

goducks11

So I went to the trailer parts store, grabbed a 5/16" ball and the exact same coupler thats welded to my TT. Hardly any slop up, down, back n forth. Mine has way more play in it. Since I have the Andersen WD hitch the ball rotates with the tongue, so I'm going to stick a chunk of tennis ball on it. That should raise the coupler up making the pawl tighter and stop the play. If that works then I guess I will have to replace the coupler. On one hand I hope it's the problem, OTH I am not looking forward to cutting off the old one. Welding a new one is a POCake. If the tennis ball idea doesn't work then something harder may have to be used.

TeJay

That looks like a good install for those shocks. The angle is just fine. That's exactly how I installed shocks on our NT. I even think we used the same shocks. Are you saying that even with shocks you are still having the sway problems??? As I mentioned earlier there are other variable factors that affect trailer sway. When we left home I put 1/4 tank of fresh water in to increase the tongue weight. When we left our last camping stop before we arrived in FL at our permanent sight I emptied all holding tanks and the fresh water is probably about 1/8 of a tank. The TT pulled OK. It did squirm at the back some but not bad. Once you get the ball correct le tus know how it's doing.

berky

goducks11, I have the same 26LRSS. I know the "bump from behind" feeling you are talking about. I have felt it at times, but nowhere near as badly as you. I have a theory .... but let me first say that while I have towed many popups and and small boats, the 26LRSS is the only large trailer I have towed.

My thinking is that what you are feeling is a combination of the high stance of the 26LRSS (axles under springs) and the high tongue weight (stiff WDH bars). The relatively high coupler puts the frame's axis almost in line with the TV's frame axis. So when the TT bumps the TV, there's no flex from a dropped ball mount or to some extent the WDH bars. The weight of the TT bangs right into the back of the TV's frame. It feels just like someone rear-ended you.

I don't think I feel it as badly as you, because the dealer set my WDH poorly (tongue too low) and I don't have any holes in the hitch mount to get it level. So I'm actually towing nose down by maybe 2". So maybe you could try lowering the ball a hole or two below level and see how that works.

All of my towing has been with a 2WD Silverado 1500, which sits fairly low as trucks go. I moved up to a 2500HD over the winter, but I have yet to pull the 26LRSS with it. It will be at least a few more weeks until I pull the TT out of storage. I'll let you know how that goes.

goducks11

That looks like a good install for those shocks. The angle is just fine. That's exactly how I installed shocks on our NT. I even think we used the same shocks. Are you saying that even with shocks you are still having the sway problems??? As I mentioned earlier there are other variable factors that affect trailer sway. When we left home I put 1/4 tank of fresh water in to increase the tongue weight. When we left our last camping stop before we arrived in FL at our permanent sight I emptied all holding tanks and the fresh water is probably about 1/8 of a tank. The TT pulled OK. It did squirm at the back some but not bad. Once you get the ball correct le tus know how it's doing.

Sway isn't the issue, it's the push-pull you get when hitting the slightest bumps in the road. It's hard enough that the wife cant read or write on some sections of road. And I'm not talking about really beat up pavement full of chuck holes. Just small or large irregular surfaces. I've never had a sway issue even using non sway WD hitches.

goducks11

goducks11, I have the same 26LRSS. I know the "bump from behind" feeling you are talking about. I have felt it at times, but nowhere near as badly as you. I have a theory .... but let me first say that while I have towed many popups and and small boats, the 26LRSS is the only large trailer I have towed.

My thinking is that what you are feeling is a combination of the high stance of the 26LRSS (axles under springs) and the high tongue weight (stiff WDH bars). The relatively high coupler puts the frame's axis almost in line with the TV's frame axis. So when the TT bumps the TV, there's no flex from a dropped ball mount or to some extent the WDH bars. The weight of the TT bangs right into the back of the TV's frame. It feels just like someone rear-ended you.

I don't think I feel it as badly as you, because the dealer set my WDH poorly (tongue too low) and I don't have any holes in the hitch mount to get it level. So I'm actually towing nose down by maybe 2". So maybe you could try lowering the ball a hole or two below level and see how that works.

All of my towing has been with a 2WD Silverado 1500, which sits fairly low as trucks go. I moved up to a 2500HD over the winter, but I have yet to pull the 26LRSS with it. It will be at least a few more weeks until I pull the TT out of storage. I'll let you know how that goes.

I get the same exact jerk stuff whether I'm using no WD or WD cranked to the max. I've towed it with the WD bars unhooked for short distances and I get the same jerky bump as when I have 800-1000-1200-1400lb bars. I even bought a used Hensley for 950.00. (sold it for 900.00) With a Hensley you can set the WD bars in infinte increments from 0-1400lbs. Never made any difference whether I had the full 1400 or 0. I know somethings not right since other people have either less of an issue or no issue. The only common denomenator is the coupler. Might be a few weeks to get it out again but I'm going to try and add some kinda spacer on the ball to take up some of the play in the coupler. If that doesn't work, then it's trade in time. 2 yrs of riding a bucking bronco is enough. I've towed enough stuff over the years to know that this ain't right.

JanAndBill

It's hard enough that the wife cant read or write on some sections of road.

I've towed everything from a 2 wheel utility trailer all the way up to and including a 53' tractor/trailer combination. Some back and forth motion is going to occur, because you have different axles encountering a bump/dip/whatever at different times. If you have a trailer weighing in close to or more than the tow vehicle, anything that interupts the forward movement of that trailer even momentarily will transfer to the tow vehicle. My current rig is a 5th wheel, and I can say the towing experience is much better, but even with it there are times when the road surface is such that I get that "rocking chair" feeling as the truck axles and then the trailer axles cross over a rough section. I doubt that my wife would be able to read anything during those times. That said if you are truly encountering "a violent jerk" as you described earlier tthen something somewhere is loose giving you slack, or something is momentarily locking up like a trailer wheel. Have you checked your brake wiring and controller?

travis_g

Might help if you had someone driving next to you taking a video. This might let you see where the issue is.
Sent from my Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

goducks11

It's hard enough that the wife cant read or write on some sections of road.

I've towed everything from a 2 wheel utility trailer all the way up to and including a 53' tractor/trailer combination. Some back and forth motion is going to occur, because you have different axles encountering a bump/dip/whatever at different times. If you have a trailer weighing in close to or more than the tow vehicle, anything that interupts the forward movement of that trailer even momentarily will transfer to the tow vehicle. My current rig is a 5th wheel, and I can say the towing experience is much better, but even with it there are times when the road surface is such that I get that "rocking chair" feeling as the truck axles and then the trailer axles cross over a rough section. I doubt that my wife would be able to read anything during those times. That said if you are truly encountering "a violent jerk" as you described earlier tthen something somewhere is loose giving you slack, or something is momentarily locking up like a trailer wheel. Have you checked your brake wiring and controller?

I have towed w/o the TT's plug plugged in. Tried the brake thing 2 yrs ago. I'm fortunate enough to live where I can be out on a deserted country road and try a few things I wouldn't on busy roads.

goducks11

Might help if you had someone driving next to you taking a video. This might let you see where the issue is.
Sent from my Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

I'm looking into that. Thinking about getting a backup camera and installing it near the hitch. Just tired of throwing money at things that don't work or improve the situation.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

I have towed w/o the TT's plug plugged in. Tried the brake thing 2 yrs ago. I'm fortunate enough to live where I can be out on a deserted country road and try a few things I wouldn't on busy roads.

I think I would give it one more try with both the truck harness unplugged and the trailer battery disconnected to see what happens. If you still have the problem, you could at least eliminate anything electrical. ???