Uncomfortable tow

goducks11

I have a 2011 NT 26LRSS that I currently tow with a 2012 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 CTD. I previously towed it with a 2010 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 5.5 bed. The problem I'm having is the ride is really jerky. I have used just a standard Eaz-lift, an EQ 4pt sway, a Hensley and curently an Andersen. None of them were/are any better as far as removing the jerkyness we feel every time the the trucks rear tires hit a bump. As everyone knows our highways are not glass smooth. All of the WD hitches I've used have been adjusted correctly thru the whole spectrum.
The tongue weight on the NT is +/- 900lbs. The whole unit weighs around 7200lbs ready to camp.
I've used 800, 1000, 1200 and 1400lb bars in various combinations. On the Hensley I had the privilage of running it real tight or loose. On the Eaz-Lift and EQ I tried different washer amounts and spring bar combinations.
None of these trial error combinations have resulted anything close to a smooth tow. Only time it tows smooth is on recently layed blacktop. Any crack, dip or bump in the road results in a jerky ride. Sometimes so bad that the wife can't write in her travel journal or read a book.

No difference at all between the F150 or the Ram 2500 in tow ride. Which leads me to believe that the trailer has an badly designed frame and or layout. With all the heavy items either over the axles or behind them and even loading a ton of stuff in front of the axles it still is not balanced right.
Or there is something wrong with the frame build. When I 1st recieved the trailer I had to take it back several times to have the tech guys try and adjust the WD. They couldn't make it right either. One tech even rode with me and at the same time was on the phone with the main service guy explaining the jerky ride. Since they couldn't get it right I gave up and tried different WD hitches and setting myself.

So I'm wondering where to turn from here. I have literaly exhausted all avenues.
Thanks.

Re: Uncomfotable tow

I had a friend with a similar problem. After trying a host of different options, we found that he had the wrong sized ball on the hitch.

JanAndBill

I pulled a very similiar trailer for awhile with an F150 which I upgraded to an Excursion (250 chassis). While the towing experience was better I never really got rid of the movement inherent with a bumper pull trailer. When you say jerky, I'm not sure I know what you mean. With the truck and trailer loaded, the equalizer set, and the sway bar adjusted, I still got a little tail wag when the wind was blowing or a truck passed. I also got a little up/down movement front to rear when I went through a dip or over a bump. Even a properly loaded trailer puts a lot of up/down movement on that tongue when it goes through a dip or over a bump. Having the connection point as far as it is behind the axle of the tow vehicle magnifies every movement. I can truthfully say that the difference in towing between a bumper pull and a 5th wheel is night and day.

goducks11

Definately right size ball.
This is our 2nd TT and maybe we were spoiled with our 1st setup. We had an 08 F150 and a 22' ION that weighed 4050 loaded. It was super smooth with just an Eaz-lift WD. I constantely read about guys gtting a smooth tow. Thats why I think somethings not right. One would think that a 2500 with a 169" WB would help. When I say 'jerky' I'm refering to the feeling of getting pulled front to back. Our backs are constantly hitting the seat backs. A front to back/push pull feeling. I've had the tongue weight as high as almost 1000lbs and as low as 600lbs. We have free scales here in Oregon and they stay on even when there not open for truckers. Makes it nice as you can hitch and unhitch all you want. So I know I'm good on my numbers. I really hate to think that this is the way TT's are supposed to tow. I don't think a lot of people would get TT's if thats the case. And after towing our 1st setup I know it's not the case. Somethings not right with the design or the frame on the TT.

TedS

Could the trailer brakes be pulsing for some reason causing the front to back jerking?

danemayer

When I 1st recieved the trailer I had to take it back several times to have the tech guys try and adjust the WD. They couldn't make it right either. One tech even rode with me and at the same time was on the phone with the main service guy explaining the jerky ride. Since they couldn't get it right I gave up and tried different WD hitches and setting myself.

Sounds like there's been a lot of guessing. Maybe you need to find a service team with enough experience to figure out the problem.

If you can post what part of Oregon you're in, maybe someone can give you a recommendation on where to take it to get help.

OBX-GL

goducks. Sorry to hear the problem has persisted. I have to believe there is something different or miss-installed in/with the trailer. As i'm sure you'll remember we have the same trailer/model and i pull with a Ram 1500 with no problem. I actually have very little sway from trucks/buses and only use 600lbs bars with no anti sway. Its a real head scratcher and i really don't have any ideas for you. I do remember reading (on that other forum) someone had the same sensation with an other brand and solved it when they discovered something was installed upside down, or wrong, or was worn, or . . . i got nothing for ya, but wish i could help.

I'll keep my ears on loud and let you know if i find out anything.

Greg.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you had anyone else two your trailer with another ow vehicle to see if it does the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OBX-GL

I'm not suggesting you go anywhere like this, but have you tried a trial pull with nothing other than being balled on ? It might give you some different feel/feedback that you can build on. Just a thought.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Are you using a different brake controller? Maybe one that is overly motion sensitive instead of time based?

Manzan

My 21FBS is a little small and it is my third TT. I have never experienced what you are describing. I have a Reese Dual Cam Sway Control equalizing hitch and have used it for the last 24 years on all the trailers, all about the same size. My 2500 Chevy Suburban is the second Suburban I have owned-the first for 15 years and was a 1500, and have experienced virtually no sway under any conditions. The 21FBS is the easiest towing trailer of the three but I have never had any trouble with any of them. It would help if you could pull another trailer with your truck or pull your trailer with a different truck just to see if there is a difference and go from there. Another possibility is an intermittent short in the brake wiring.

Speedy

If the brake theory doesn't pan out I would like to suggest it may be a wheelbase issue. Since you didn't experience this problem with the F-150 and you have tried various tongue weight combinations what is the difference in the wheelbase between the two trucks? Where am I going with this? I think with a longer wheelbase the trailer and truck are fighting each other as they hit all the bumps.

I had a nasty chucking problem when we got our Big Country; added weight, added water, removed weight, removed water never went away. Tried a different truck with a different wheelbase (shortbox vs. longbox) and it went away. Installed a MorRyde pinbox and most of it is gone but we still have chucking on really bad sections of road. So if your problem were not to transfer to another truck then you have found it and then need to figure out how to change the length between the truck and trailer wheels.

mzcummins

If the brake theory doesn't pan out I would like to suggest it may be a wheelbase issue. Since you didn't experience this problem with the F-150

He said NO difference in ride with the two trucks

Sent using Tapatalk 2

goducks11

I have actually towed it without hooking up the TT's 7 wire connector. Only went a short distance. No diff.

goducks11

Sounds like there's been a lot of guessing. Maybe you need to find a service team with enough experience to figure out the problem.

If you can post what part of Oregon you're in, maybe someone can give you a recommendation on where to take it to get help.

I'm in Salem Oregon

goducks11

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you had anyone else two your trailer with another ow vehicle to see if it does the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No never tried that. Figured since I towed it with the F150 and the Ram 2500 and the same problem existed that, that's was about all I could do with that theory.

goducks11

I'm not suggesting you go anywhere like this, but have you tried a trial pull with nothing other than being balled on ? It might give you some different feel/feedback that you can build on. Just a thought.

Yes I tried with no WD. No difference. Where we live I can drive about 1/2 mile and I'm out in the country with hardly any traffic. Doesn't take too far to tell how it's towing.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Any chance that one or more tires on the trailer are out of balance or have other issues such as a belt that has shifted and created a lump? bearings and hubs good?

goducks11

If the brake theory doesn't pan out I would like to suggest it may be a wheelbase issue. Since you didn't experience this problem with the F-150 and you have tried various tongue weight combinations what is the difference in the wheelbase between the two trucks? Where am I going with this? I think with a longer wheelbase the trailer and truck are fighting each other as they hit all the bumps.

I had a nasty chucking problem when we got our Big Country; added weight, added water, removed weight, removed water never went away. Tried a different truck with a different wheelbase (shortbox vs. longbox) and it went away. Installed a MorRyde pinbox and most of it is gone but we still have chucking on really bad sections of road. So if your problem were not to transfer to another truck then you have found it and then need to figure out how to change the length between the truck and trailer wheels.

F150 was 145", Ram 2500 is 169". I really thought the Ram would take care of the problem but there is virtually no difference between the two. Thats why I'm coming to the conclusion that the TT has a frame or suspension issue. It's been like this from day one. I have varied the tongue weight from literaly nothing as it came from the dealer to fully loaded (sometimes with a full fresh water tank) and it still exibits the same bounce. You can feel the TT bounce the back of the truck when you hit slight bumps in the road. It's feels like the tongue is flexing. Sorta of a continued series of quick bounces. I'v dropped the undercover and checked out the tongue where it's welded to the frame and all looks good. I've had guys on another forum say your need to such and such tongue weight and such and such spring bars. Literaly been there done that. I've been to a hitch shop in Salem as well as another dealer and they had no clue. Probably not there expertise I guess. I could see where making major changes like 800lb bars to 1400lb bars or no WD to WD should have some effect on the tow. But it jerks/bounce irregardless of what I use. We have not had one problem with this TT except it tows like you no what. I've towed boats and other small trailers and have felt a slight tug once in a while. But not a back slapping jerky bounce that this TT has.