Underbed Storage

GatoGordo

Do you wish you had more than the 3 or so inches of storage found under the bed? Well it really isn't very hard. Start by removing the mattress and then the deck. You will want help those are big pieces in a small space.Underbed2.jpg Next remove the cover over two empty spaces and the hydraulics for the slide. Now make up to boxes that will suspend with 1/2" clearance over the flooring and attach to the existing bracing. Be very careful not to infringe on the movement of the slides, the hydraulic lines, or any wiring that may be present. Attach the new bins so that they are flush with the existing bracing. Now either have an assistant or use your remote to cycle the slide in and out while observing that all is well. Now cut the cover so that it just covers the hydraulic area and reattach. Reinstall the deck (or as I did make a new lighter one out of plywood, yes, you will need to securely attach pads for the lifts there is a lot of pressure there). Put the mattress back and you have gained a lot of very useful storage space. If you are not very handy get together with another camper and do the job twice and have three times the fun.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's how ours looks from the factory. We have an electric slide ram, not hydraulic.

Pic showing our sleep number bed pump, under the bed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364608522.167458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I cut away the thin plywood sheet under the bed next to the hydraulic system framing and put a large plastic tote there. It holds extra bed linen and slides easily on the carpet with the movement of the slide. The remainder of the shallow underbed storage gets our spring and fall jackets and such laid flat, that we don't need during most of the summer.

aatauses

Great project and directions--thanks. I always caution people when it comes to storage space---you will run out of weight BEFORE you run out of storage space.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

RanCarr

There's plenty of storage space under the beds in our TT. They're a bit hard to get too as the mattresses have to be lifted and held up at the same time.

ParkIt

Great idea, I've looked under there plenty of times and wondered how to keep the rails and wiring protected or pull anything out before moving the slide in.

Great project and directions--thanks. I always caution people when it comes to storage space---you will run out of weight BEFORE you run out of storage space.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

I wonder how much weight we lost when replacing the couch and mattress. They both weighed quite a bit with the bed replaced by a Select Comfort and couch with a light weight chaise. My guess is around 175lbs between the two and the only real weight is our books!

Theresau

Turns out the BC continues to have hydraulic bedroom slides (at least the 3251TS does). We found that out last evening - when we were doing a quick check of our new unit at the dealership. We thought it would have electric as the BH does now.

We plan to do similarly to our 3251TS - we'll use yours as a model. Thanks.

Theresau

We've begun investigating adding the storage. The hydraulic lines are in the space to the right as well as a square tube/brace. Where did you put the hydraulic lines after you created the space on the right?

Do you wish you had more than the 3 or so inches of storage found under the bed? Well it really isn't very hard. Start by removing the mattress and then the deck. You will want help those are big pieces in a small space.View attachment 23635 Next remove the cover over two empty spaces and the hydraulics for the slide. Now make up to boxes that will suspend with 1/2" clearance over the flooring and attach to the existing bracing. Be very careful not to infringe on the movement of the slides, the hydraulic lines, or any wiring that may be present. Attach the new bins so that they are flush with the existing bracing. Now either have an assistant or use your remote to cycle the slide in and out while observing that all is well. Now cut the cover so that it just covers the hydraulic area and reattach. Reinstall the deck (or as I did make a new lighter one out of plywood, yes, you will need to securely attach pads for the lifts there is a lot of pressure there). Put the mattress back and you have gained a lot of very useful storage space. If you are not very handy get together with another camper and do the job twice and have three times the fun.

ParkIt

Ours runs down the center like the picture covering the center, not sure where yours are being on the right. Without a picture its hard to say but you should be able to line the rails and hoses down the center so you have storage on the sides??

Theresau

We were able to easily add storage to the left side. We found a Sterlite storage bin that fits that area exactly. Joe cut the overlay cover so that it lays beneath this bin - didn't even have to fasten down the bin - bin basically rests on the wood supports for the most part. There's enough room to put on the cover.

The right side is narrower and the hoses are in that side - would need to move these out of the way first - we'll start with the left side and consider the right in the future.

Last edited:

ParkIt

My bad, I totally forgot there was room to move our hoses (they weren't secured) so nothing binds or kinks in the hydraulic system and increases better flow. Did that not long after delivery but they were sprawling to the left if you are at the foot of the bed so we pretty much only had the right side open for storing. Kinda funny how the same hoses and lines can vary unit to unit and year to year.
I still think ours was started on Wednesday and finished on Friday ;)