Unsafe Distracted Driving

Lou_and_Bette

Want cell phone usage while driving to stop! Have the insurance companies stop paying for the cell phone users own car damages...treat them like they only have liabity insurance, put that clause into the policy and start publishing the fact they didn't pay and why

wdk450

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/10/23/new-mexico-transport-helicopter-driver-crash/92657924/

I cannot remember all the times I ended up on the hood of a car to keep from getting run over at accident scenes. I have had people walk up to me when I was working for Air Life in Denver and ask if I could work faster because they were late for one thing or another. Getting folks to put down their electronics is not going to happen. Everything they are doing is too important to them and they are more important than you.

A quote from 1950's Catholic Bishop/TV personality Fulton J. Sheen says: "THE ROOT CAUSE OF ALL SIN IS SELFISHNESS".

donr827

I would be in favor of all texting stops when the car is moving and also that all phones would work only with blue tooth. I know that blue tooth is not available in all vehicles at this time.

Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would be in favor of all texting stops when the car is moving and also that all phones would work only with blue tooth. I know that blue tooth is not available in all vehicles at this time.

Hands free devices and headsets are not very expensive these days.

I don't know what it is . . .

But the instant someone starts holding a phone to their ear it seems that they forget they are behind the wheel of a huge chunk of rolling metal!

Lynn1130

Hands free or not you are still not concentrating on driving. I have that in both vehicles and truth be known my attention is not fully on driving. I used to have three different radio frequencies and a computer going in the patrol vehicle and was used to driving with all of that happening but I doubt that I was fully aware of driving with all of that going on. You just cannot concentrate on more than one thing and be sure it has your FULL attention.

Oregon_Camper

I would be ok with technology that disabled the texting, e-mail, social media, and camera functions on your phone once the key is turned on.

I am sure all the passengers (wife..kids..etc) in the car would have a different option. Ever ask your passenger to look something up for you while you were driving? How can the phone distinguish between driver and passenger? Sometimes apps ask, but all you have to do is click in “passenger” and full access is back.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am sure all the passengers (wife..kids..etc) in the car would have a different option. Ever ask your passenger to look something up for you while you were driving? How can the phone distinguish between driver and passenger? Sometimes apps ask, but all you have to do is click in “passenger” and full access is back.

You mean as a family you would have to plan ahead and know where you were going before you left the house and then have to talk to each other or listen to the radio on your drive!? Oh the horror!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

You mean as a family you would have to plan ahead and know where you were going before you left the house and then have to talk to each other or listen to the radio on your drive!? Oh the horror!!

No, I mean like having my wife answer a phone call or text message from another family member or checking for services at an unplanned exit we’ve never been to.

I guess you plan better than everyone else and you researched EVERY exit for 200+ miles and have never had your passenger use their cell phone. Or I’m sure you pulled over, and then had your passenger make a phone call.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had a loaner car while mine was in the shop for a week and a half. This Toyota Camry had easy to set up Bluetooth connectivity, and I could talk on the phone and ask Siri things without even looking at my phone. The sound came out the car speakers, and there must have been a mic somewhere in the car as well. All the radio controls were on the steering wheel as well. Very cool!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
No, I mean like having my wife answer a phone call or text message from another family member or checking for services at an unplanned exit we’ve never been to.

I guess you plan better than everyone else and you researched EVERY exit for 200+ miles and have never had your passenger use their cell phone. Or I’m sure you pulled over, and then had your passenger make a phone call.

Do not fear it bro! That's how things used to be done. I drove over the road trucks for 10 years without a phone or gps. I made a wrong turn here and there but I am still ok. Are electronics nice to have? Yes. Is using them absolutely 100% necessary? No. Especially if it could cause harm to you and those around you.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Bones

Do not fear it bro! That's how things used to be done. I drove over the road trucks for 10 years without a phone or gps. I made a wrong turn here and there but I am still ok. Are electronics nice to have? Yes. Is using them absolutely 100% necessary? No. Especially if it could cause harm to you and those around you.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
I'm gonna make a smart comment just to be funny. You would see people driving with the map over the steering wheel or looking at the notes you took, on where to turn.