UPDATED: Heads Need to Roll

creeper

Okay, I've waited until all the facts are in and everything is clear.

In my past dealer problems with Boat N RV of Ridgeland ,S.C. it became very clear that the troubles I had getting serviced was solely a dealer problem, this cost me nearly two months of back and forth.

Now lets fast forward till today......

I go to check on the status of my RV which has been sitting in Camping World for the past TWO MONTHS.

It went up there for some very minor repairs. A couple of switches and a jack motor.

I brought it in a couple of weeks before Daytona's Bike week as we had a weeks reservations there. Camping World tells me, no problem the next day. All my issues were verified and they are all minor. I ended up speaking to the tech, who used to work in ELKHART at a certain RV maker. He was a great guy and gave me some tips on getting my dented little panel fixed.

A couple of weeks go by and no RV. Camping World blames Heartland, sound familiar to me.

So we miss bike week and I lose my deposit. We ended up not going as most hotels were booked.

Okay, I'm staying my nice friendly self to try and get things done. A few more weeks, Camping World still blaming Heartland. They tell me the hold up is Heartland gave authorization for the switches, but the hold up is the jack.... Authorized to replace switch and .5 hours labor. Authorized to replace jack and .2 hours labor... Well Camping World can't do the repair without getting paid. They don't understand why they give more time to replace a little switch, but less to replace the jack which is a much larger job.

Camping World is scrambling and trying to convince me it's not them. I guess it was the blank stare I was giving them when they were explaining. They start whipping out papers, with all the parts needed and the date the tech looked at the RV. Sure enough 2 days after I brought it in the tech requested all the parts. Scribbled all over the paper is all the names of people they have contacted in attempt to get the authorization. Hmmmmm........... I tell them I'll call Heartland.

I call Heartland and the rep tells me they authorized the jack on 3/5/09. Well that's interesting. They authorize the jack several weeks AFTER the parts were requested. Could Camping World be telling the truth?

I go back to camping world and tell them Heartland says it was authorized on 3/5. The service writer goes nuts. Whips out some papers and shows me what's written. 3/5 jack authorized .2 hours.... She says that's what I'm telling you. It takes weeks to get authorization and then it's for 12 minutes to do the job.

We then miss the Perry Ga rally and LUCKILY get our deposit back. I'm getting a little ticked at this point.

Fast forward a couple of more weeks. Camping World tells me they finally got the authorization with proper time and ordered the parts. They said the parts should be there in a couple of days and they will work on my RV the second the parts come in. They also tell me they will give me the piece of J wrap, I've been trying to get from Heartland for the last year, at their cost for the inconvenience.

This was last week and they tell me I should have the RV back by Monday at the latest. Good I say, we have reservations at a campground in Charleston, S.C..

Monday comes and no parts. I cancel the reservations in Charleston and make hotel reservations. Camping in Charleston $30 per night , Hotel in Charleston $135 per night.

We spend the week in Charleston, with a crummy bed and noisy heater/AC unit. Can't change rooms as they are all full up. Wife is postal at this point.

SO, I go into Camping World today and they start apologizing up one side and down the other side and stating it's Heartland and not them. Again, I give them the blank stare and they rush me off to a side office. They inform me the parts are lost somewhere and are waiting for a call back from Heartland. They say Heartland claims the parts were delivered and signed for , they say NO WAY. They said they were supposed to come UPS, Heartland says they went out Truck freight because they ordered a 8 foot piece of J wrap, they say NO we ordered a 3 foot piece so it would go out UPS and get the customers camping out of here.

BLANK STARE AGAIN

Camping World is getting mad as they don't want to take the blame for this and lose a customer, who they said, "we're surprised you haven't lost it yet".

Camping World decided it's time to prove it wasn't them and do a conference call. They call the parts Manager at Heartland (Josh Fenner, Jim Fenners bro).... This is not second hand information, I listened in on speaker phone.

Josh Fenner gets on the phone and starts to locate the parts. Parts are located and they are in Stateville, NC............. He tries to hang up with the , "I'll call you back" line, but the service writer wouldn't have it. She says she's been waiting days for the last call back.

What the heck are they doing in the Camping World in North Carolina? They were supposed to be shipped to Pooler, GEORGIA.

Not only does Heartland take WEEKS to give authorization for minor repairs , they then send the parts to the wrong STATE.

Josh then goes on to blame Camping World in Statesville for not sending the parts out. He claims he sent them a tag to forward the shipment to Pooler days ago. He claims he will send another one.

My service writer gets the name and number of the person he spoke to in stateville, she is determined to show me that Josh lied to them.

She hangs up with Josh and immediately picks up the phone and calls Statesville. On speaker phone she asks if Josh sent a tag? Ashley in Statesville states, "NO"... She goes on further that when the shipment arrived she called Josh to fax over a tag immediately, so she could slap in on the shipment and it wouldn't have to leave the truck. When Josh didn't fax it over the shipment came off the truck and they are still waiting for the tag.

Camping World is TOTALLY off the hook and Heartland is to blame.

I'm REALLY TICKED OFF RIGHT NOW.....

SO, my camper is sitting for TWO MONTHS for minor repairs and Heartland is jerking things around. I still don't know if Josh sent over the tag for shipment..

SO FAR.

We've missed 3 of our camping trips.

Lost a deposit.

Added Hotel cost

Untold aggravation.

Paid for 2 months of storage that hasn't been used.

I've been generous with Heartland. I've done lots of warranty work myself. I did an EXTENSIVE rust clean up on my frame and cleaned up some very sloppy work.

Now they lie to me and Camping World and my RV still sits not repaired and I don't even know if the parts are on the way yet.

What I expect from Heartland and what I don't feel is too much to ask.

1. An apology from someone up the Heartland food chain.

2. An extension on my warranty to compensate for the extensive warranty work I did and the lost time, camping and aggravation caused by Heartland.

I will add this request to my lengthy letter I plan to send to Heartland.

azbound

This sound like the story from ****, it would be nice if Jim B. would intercede and get some answers for you and all of us out there that wave the Heartland flag and defend them on other RV Web sites. As for Josh he should be job hunting, Heartland doesn't need this kind of employee dirtying up there reputation in hard times like this.

I am looking forward to hearing what Jim B. comes up with.

jbeletti

Hey all,

I have passed this up the chain but I will not be able to get in the middle of it and pass back any details to the group. That is between Curtis and Heartland. Don't expect any factory feedback on this thread this weekend.

I'd also appreciate everyone staying constructive on this. We who are uninvolved are entitle to our opinion but let's not add any more fuel to this.

Curtis - I can appreciate how you are feeling at this point. All I can do is offer my apologies. Thank you for sticking to the facts and for keeping this civil - especially at a point where you are beside yourself over this matter.

Thanks,

Jim

cqdx

Concerned

I'm scheduled to pick up a cyclone 3914 in a few weeks. I've been reading this board for the past 2 days. The more i read the horror stories the more concerned I become. I was sold on the idea that Heartland was quick and efficient with their warranty work. I will not be in a position for a dealer to hold onto my rig for any amount of time much less months. We will be full time from the time i pick it up. I full well expect all to be in order and working properly at the time of the walk threw . I'm beginning to think that their time table( not meeting their deadlines) would cost me a job equaling thousands of dollars. This makes no since to me. I as a Union Electrician were to do do shoddy work as i read and see pictures of all over this board, I would held accountable to make it right in a very timely (immediate) fashion. This would be more than an inconvenience It would cause harm to my livelihood and my family. I can't imagine a dealer wants a rig on their lot for any amount of time or Heartland wants to mess over their clients, I would venture a guess that the problem is either bad communication or incomputance.I would lean toward a communication breakdown. With that in mind i will stay in steady contact with Heartland on a near daily basis. They have their number and contact people listed all over this site. Not looking forward to having any problems with the unit DW would never let me live it down LOL. I'll be watching to see just how long it actually takes to get your repairs all squared away.

Jeremy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Creeper, I wont defend or condemn either Heartland or Camping World for the problems you have encountered, but I can't help but think why you just left your rig at the dealer for two months. Just my thoughts. It may have saved a whole lot of aggravation had you continued to use it and said call me when the parts are in. Again just my thoughts.
Peace
Dave

creeper

I left it there, because it was supposed to be only days. And most importantly, since the landing jack was acting flaky I could be stuck some where with a dead jack.

Plus each time I went it was any day now type stuff.

tmcran

Creeper, I can feel your frustration. Our Sundance that we bought on 2-7-09 has been to the dealer off and on for 4-5 weeks out of the couple of months we have had it. Leak in shower ( not fixed in almost two weeks.)I velcroed a shower curtain up to stop the water from coming around the pan and surrand until I have time to take it apart and fix it myself. Now leak in front bedroom slide. Heartland has been involved. The dealer is following the directions of Heartland . Leak is better but now is leaking in different area. Looks as if the rubber trim and sweeps are not installed correctly. Also dealer has reinstalled the dams and caulked all over the place. I finally said "look I need to use the RV and we will just close the front slide if it rains." Took our week long trip and will be taking RV back to dealer Monday. I have repaired several other fit and finish problems on my own. Leaking slide is not going to cut it and must be fixed. I will say so far the dealer and Heartland have continued to be envolved.

talley

Other party needs to explain... not necessarly here, but to management - then management to Curtis!!! Management at Heartland will know if events are honest communication SNAFU or related to performance and/or attitude issues. The bottom line for Heartland is it's business integrity in dealing with customers... those who have entered into a honest and dependent relationship; and have reasonable expectations of fair treatment.

I suspect, one way or another, we will learn of Heartland's response ... I hope the evvents were based on innocent misunderstandings.

creeper

I suspect, one way or another, we will learn of Heartland's response ... I hope the evvents were based on innocent misunderstandings.

You will certainly hear it from me. Good/Bad doesn't matter, you'll hear the outcome as it happens.

jimtoo

I have asked that no more posts be made until the dealer or factory has a chance to respond. This is not being done to protect the factory or dealer or Creeper. It is my decision as a moderator. When the factory and/or dealer has a chance to review comments and contact original poster the thread may be reopened, if necessary by me or Jim Beletti.
Thanks
Jim M

Last edited by a moderator:

creeper

Heads Need to Roll: UPDATE...

Just like to update everyone on my service saga. Thanks to those who emailed me privately.

First I would like to say closing the other thread was just plain wrong. I don't dislike my camper or Heartland at all, but Heartland has areas that need improvement. I would recommend Heartland products in a second. I'm so ticked because we love our camper and hate that we can't use it. If I hated it or thought it was a bad product I would not hesitate to get rid of it.

Closing the other thread prevents others from sharing like experiences and Heartland doesn't get the feedback to focus on areas that need improvement. Plus, this is supposed to be an OWNERS forum. A place owners can discuss the good/bad and ugly of their campers. Closing the thread gives the impression the moderators are protecting Heartland from bad press. Which they did, whether intentional or innocently. The forum has rules, if the rules are not being broken then there should not be any over moderation. Now it takes another thread to update the situation.

That being said, those who know me know I don't pull any punches and will call them as I see them. I am usually very patient as this is the best way to get things done, until it's time to step it up a notch. There is usually no guessing where I stand on things.

Now onto the update.

Monday: I received a call from Camping World's service advisor on her day off. She advised me that Jim Fenner called her 3 times. She wanted to make sure I knew exactly what was happening as it happened. Thanks to Jim B. for moving this up the chain of command. She also wanted me to know that the parts were on the way.

Tuesday: I received a call from Jim Fenner on speaker phone with the parts manager listening in. Apologizing for the problems and working on a solution that was acceptable to Myself and Heartland. (No they didn't extend my warranty). During the conversation Jim seemed very concerned and understanding of my frustration. He did unknowingly confirm some of what Camping World had explained to me during the weeks of trying to get service and the cause for the delay.

During the past 2 months plus, I have had at least a dozen discussions with Camp World. Most of those conversations I did not relay here as it's he said/she said stuff until confirmed by other persons.

In the beginning Camping World did take some blame for a short delay based on personal change, but after that it was on Heartland. Camping World never hide or denied their culpability in the situation.

After hanging up with Jim F. I drove up to Camping World to have the service writer contact Jim as she had not yet returned his call. By the time I got there Jim had already called and spoke to her, advised her of the what Heartland was going to do and approved it. Hopefully it goes without a hitch.

As I was leaving one of the employees comes running after me and informs me that the truck arrived with my parts.

Hopefully I'll have my camper back in a couple of days, Heartland will do as promised and we can be back to happy camping.

The crux of the problem is (IMHO):

1. The way warranty repair payments are handled. A customer should not wait while a dealer and Heartland negotiate repair costs.

2. Parts shipping needs to be improved. No reason a parts shipment should go to the wrong dealer 2 states away. I order a gross amount of stuff that is shipped (just ask my UPS/Fed Ex/Roadway guys :)) and not one shipment was every lost or shipped to the wrong place.

I would like to thank Jim B. and Jim F. for being stand up guys and doing the right thing.

skyguy

Creepers -

I hope everything works out well for you! Yes, I agree that sometimes the "moderators" are guilty of "over-moderation"...

Regards shipping - I can't believe how lucky you have been! I have owned my own computer business for 30 years, and honestly believe Murphy runs the shipping lines. And of course, the more desperate you are for something, the more apt things will go awry before it can show up in our store.

Tracking is good and bad. I've seen things get to town, and be diverted elsewhere - why? I've seen shipments just "stop" somewhere in tracking, like it fell off the ramp, and no one notices for days. I had one person swear for three straight days the item was shipped, and on the fourth day, calls to apologize - they found the package sitting in the shipping dept. (These aren't Heartland experiences, yet:eek:) We will be picking up our new 3670 this weekend or next..

Good luck

Edd and Janet

Pleased for you to have your repairs back on the right track. This outcome is why joining the Heartland family is a good thing. Getting the big guns to step up to the plate and be your voice certainly helps move things along when there are unneccessary delays in getting repairs taken care of.

creeper

Skyguy, this wasn't rerouted shipping or sitting in a warehouse. Someone at Heartland addressed the shipment wrong. It's like you ordered an item and they shipped it to some unknown person several states away.

Berry and Janet, it's nice that people higher up the food chain stepped in. Sadly it shouldn't be necessary, it should have been taken care of when I called the area rep.. The Rep should have called when I voiced my concern over the delay and problem. My area Rep in the past was really good and he jumped on the phone when Boat N RV of Ridgeland SC was yanking my chain. Sadly he no longer works for Heartland.

talley

Creeper,

Glad to see prompt action was taken by Heartland to correct the mishandling of your issues.

Heartland responded as we all expected they would (or at least hoped). While it would be great if these problems never happened... one postive outcome is the opportunity for Heartland to show their high regard for customer service. If they want the reputation... they have to earn it by their actions. Glad to see that reputation still intact.:)

azbound

It's great to be able to follow this to a successful conclusion. Also nice to see that the forum played a positive roll. Although I agree the moderator had a hair trigger in closing this thread and had he waited just a few more days we could have seen the forum at it's best. Let's hope lessons were learned by all involved.

Congratulations,

creeper

No conclusion as of yet. I'm still camperless. If Heartland does what it said it would do and Camping World does what it said it will do I should be back in business by the end of the week.

tmcran

Very glad to hear progress is being made. Keep us advised. Hope this thread doesn't get closed.

Last edited:

creeper

Give me a break already.

You'd think after all the whoopla concerning my camper, that parties involved would have made sure everything was taken care of and followed up on it.

After not hearing from Camping World this week, I stopped into and asked about my Camping.

First reply from advisor was, "let me know when I can stop banging my head against the wall".

I left the last time, Jim Fenner had called and ok'd some minor repairs. Camping World asked for written authorization on my "agreement" with Heartland and told me the camper should be ready by Friday.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.

Camping World says they have a couple of phone calls into Jim Fenner looking for the authorization. They called the other Fenner and still no authorization. They asked me to follow up, so they could get the authorization and get my camper out of there.

HEARTLAND GIVE ME A BREAK ALREADY.

We are scheduled to leave in a couple of weeks on yet another camping trip, this campground has a no refund cancellation policy. IF i don't have my camper back by then it will be time to slash and burn. I'll have to sell the camper because you obviously can't get the littlest of parts or things done in a timely manner.

I can't freaking believe that such minor repairs could take over 2 months to get done. SEND ME THE **** PARTS and I'll take care it myself in a few hours.

This has gone beyond absurd. I'm running out of patience very rapidly.

talley

Gee... you would think wouldn't you!!! :confused: Perhaps they have such a load of complaints and issues they just can't keep up:eek:. Would not like to think that is the case, but there must be a rational reason for dropping the ball again. Kind of like "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory"!!!:eek:

Good luck... we're pulling for youNone

Jerry