Upgraded electric landing gear to dual motors

Tallyrver

I spent a few hours yesterday adding a second motor to the landing legs.
it would have took about two hours but I had to take a break and go get my eyebrow glued back together.
the first step in the upgrade after you secure the fifth wheel to the truck is to remove the crossbar between the jacks,I removed the bolt from the follow leg and couldn't get to the second bolt so I bumped the switch to get to it. The bar popped off the motor and hit me in the head. I sat there and watched the little stars fly around for a few minutes.

After I returned from the doctor I got back to it.

the whole job was pretty simple.
remove the crossbar
remove the two bolts that secure the leg you are adding the gearbox and motor to.
lift and tilt the leg to the side to get the leg extension out.
remove the leg and put it on the work bench.
there is rebuild kit required for converting the leg to a lead leg. All I used was the longer shaft from the kit,the gears were fine. Greased the gears and put the cover back on.
slide the gear box on .
reverse the removal process to put the leg back.
bolt the new motor to the gear box
wire it up and check to see if the switch is wired correctly,I had to change the two wires to the motor.
i wanted to put the second switch to the right of the first one but there is a large frame in the way.

I found all the parts on EBay for less than $200.00
the landing gear sounds happy now ...

Wayne

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 71

dbbls59

A good upgrade. I had this done to my previous SOB. I kept having failures of one of the legs failing and dropping the trailer. The second motor solved the problem.