Use marinco 30Amp shore power extension instead of standard RV extensions?

windviewer

The prowler trailer has a marinco style outlet and the cord has the marinco style female on one end and the standard 30 amp RV male on the other. For an extension, I was considering using a marinco 50 foot shore power cable with marinco locking connectors on both ends. This provides a locking connector between the original cord and the power attachment.

Any recommendations against doing this (other than cost perhaps, but I think the locking/watertight connector to connect the cords would be better).

Actually the cost of the 50 marinco extension is a good deal right now (from binnacle.com) compared to some of the RV style 50 foot extensions I have seen.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi windviewer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some opinions for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

The prowler trailer has a marinco style outlet and the cord has the marinco style female on one end and the standard 30 amp RV male on the other. For an extension, I was considering using a marinco 50 foot shore power cable with marinco locking connectors on both ends. This provides a locking connector between the original cord and the power attachment.

Any recommendations against doing this (other than cost perhaps, but I think the locking/watertight connector to connect the cords would be better).

Actually the cost of the 50 marinco extension is a good deal right now (from binnacle.com) compared to some of the RV style 50 foot extensions I have seen.
I have a short Marinco style pigtail that plugs into my 50 amp on the side of the trailer and reduces it down to a 30 amp, so I can plug my 30 amp cord in there. Works way better than wrestling with that 50 amp cord then reducing it down to a 30 amp if needed. Lots of time I don't use my 50 amp cord if I don't have to as the 30 amp is so much easier to work with. Yes, even the adapter was expensive...Don