Used One-Ton Market

LanceR

Hey guys!

I think I'd like to check out the market for used one-ton trucks. At this point, I do care too much if it's a F350, Chevy/GMC 3500, or Ram 3500. If you know where or how I can get info, please let me know. I'm located in CA, but I'd probably leave the state if I found the truck and deal I wanted.

Thanks!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We used cars.com to find ours. Be sure to call dealers to make sure they still have the truck. They don't keep those sites entirely current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverRhino

Check Craigslist for the larger cities in your area, I sold my Ram 3500 off Craigslist to an out of state buyer. You should also take a look at Truck Trader and Truck Paper for listings from around the country.

lynndiwagoner

I went through a similar search recently. One ton dually's are kind of a niche market. Almost all of them are sold to dealers at auctions, so don't let that scare you off. Texas seems to have the most selection of duallys. We visited http://www.texasdirectauto.com/ place and it was amazing. The largest on line seller of vehicles in the world. There were people from all over the country buying cars and driving them off. I've never been to a place like this. I think they sell on Ebay. It was worth the flight to Houston for a whole bunch of folks so it must be a good place to buy. The salesman said they move over 2000 vehicles a month and ship them all over the world. No dickering but pretty good pricing. Good luck, you have to move really fast if you find a good one. I had two sell before I could make a move.

Put Dodge Ram 3500 or Ford F350 in ebay search and you will get many to choose from. If you want diesel, add diesel, 4X4 add 4X4, etc.

wdk450

Try E-Bay Motors. Be sure you get something that meets California smog regs, or check out the out of state importing penalties with the DMV.

Tundra2084

We just today found and purchased a used 2012 F350 SD diesel with only 57,000 kms or 33,000 miles on it. Been looking for one for about 2 weeks and found it on autotrader.ca here but I know there is also a US site as well. http://autotrader.com is the US url. We put in what we were looking for and the areas that we would travel to. Found a couple used F450 diesel dully's and even had lower milage but because the truck is the wife's daily driver that ruled out wide and long beds.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We just today found and purchased a used 2012 F350 SD diesel with only 57,000 kms or 33,000 miles on it. Been looking for one for about 2 weeks and found it on autotrader.ca here but I know there is also a US site as well. http://autotrader.com is the US url. We put in what we were looking for and the areas that we would travel to. Found a couple used F450 diesel dully's and even had lower milage but because the truck is the wife's daily driver that ruled out wide and long beds.

Congrats!! Let's see it.

There are great deals out there on used heavy duties. Found ours with only 9036 miles on it.

Tundra2084

Thanks Jamie and we will post pictures of it when we pick it up next week. Want it to be sooner but Frank's schedule won't allow it. Hope your having fun with the new level up. It's always fun to get new toys and being able to play with them lol

BBslider001

One thing I would consider is buying within the state to avoid the hefty fee of bringing in an out of state vehicle. Where are you located? There is a decent used diesel truck place in Fontana that I bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins from a few years ago. They were ok to deal with as far as used dealers go and they gave me a good price. Truck was just fine until I sold it 3 years later.

TravelTiger

Less than a month ago we traded our 2004 1-ton for a 2013... Two weeks later the 2004 was listed on their site for $2400 more than they gave us. It is now gone from the dealer's website!

BBslider001

Less than a month ago we traded our 2004 1-ton for a 2013... Two weeks later the 2004 was listed on their site for $2400 more than they gave us. It is now gone from the dealer's website!

That's about normal for price increase on a trade. In all reality, when it's said and done, they'll make about $1k on your trade in.

TravelTiger

That's about normal for price increase on a trade. In all reality, when it's said and done, they'll make about $1k on your trade in.

Yes, they have to make money. Just surprised it moved that quickly for a 2004. But in the West Texas oil patch, I guess they move.

scottyb

I had no luck at all a couple years ago when I was shopping for a used DRW. They were either rode hard, or the few clean ones wanted within a few thousand of the price of a new one.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had no luck at all a couple years ago when I was shopping for a used DRW. They were either rode hard, or the few clean ones wanted within a few thousand of the price of a new one.

When I bought my truck new last August (2014), there were very few used HD trucks around.

And the ones that were on the lot were in the same price range as buying new.

Of course, you can get much better financing on a new truck than a used one.

wdk450

You know, I see a lot of service trucks in the yards of big construction auctioneers, like Ritchie Brothers. I know there are truck modifiers out there who will put a standard bed (or an RV towing bed) on one of these trucks after removing the service body. I wonder if the economics of this would work out?

scottyb

I deal with Ritchie Bros a lot. You could find a good deal on a used truck if you were willing to be patient and shop hard. We have better luck on used heavy equipment than we do on trucks. We just bought a Cat 140M motor grader and feel like we got a good deal. However, we have been in the market for a tandem axle water truck for a few months now. We have placed a few bids but they have been selling high.

roaddog28

Hey guys!

I think I'd like to check out the market for used one-ton trucks. At this point, I do care too much if it's a F350, Chevy/GMC 3500, or Ram 3500. If you know where or how I can get info, please let me know. I'm located in CA, but I'd probably leave the state if I found the truck and deal I wanted.

Thanks!!
Hi,
In April of this year I found on Autotrader a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 TD longbed dually for 13,600 out the door. I searched this vehicle on Car Fax and turned out to be a one owner truck. This truck replaced our 2007 Dodge 2500 short bed diesel. Much better for towing our Cyclone.
Howard

TravelTiger

Just a reminder to check out cars.com. Here in Texas, there's quite a few used and new 1 tons out here! Worth flying in and driving it home, as OregonCamper did earlier this month. :)