Using auto level

Paradise2

This is the female half speaking.....

Does anyone use their auto leveling system when you park your trailer at your destination? If so do you use the yellow blocks underneath the jacks? Only had our trailer out once and we tried it and it totally freaked me out all the directions and how low it went. Is it best to keep it low or manually level it up higher with the blocks under it? It just seem like it was really low, but it was level....any comments on this is welcome. Hubby works a lot so I'm always on this reading everyone's comments, suggestions, questions - it really helps as we've always had a motorhome and this is totally new to us. Hubby has no issues as it's me with a ton of questions and love to hear everyones comments...you can always learn something new!

Thanks!!!!

Lynette

jbeletti

Hi Lynette,

When I disconnect from the truck, I always use auto-level. It's a feature that added much expense to your coach - may as well use it :)

For sure, it's freaky, watching it do its thing. But in a minute or two, it's done and you are level and having done nothing but touch a button is glorious!

In terms of yellow plastic blocks, wooden blocks etc., generally, these are no longer needed. That said, some people continue to do so for their own reasons.

Many of us have installed RV SnapPads. With these, you always have a rubber block under each jack pad as they stay on the jack feet.

For me, the only time I ever use any blocking is if the slope of my RV site is such that the hydraulic ram in any of my 6 jacks won't have sufficient length to level. In those cases, the Level Up system will tell you the angle is too severe to auto-level. That's when you put it in manual mode, add some blocks under the jacks on the low side, then manually extend those jacks until they touch the blocks, then continue to manually level side-to-side and front-to-rear.

Hope this helps :)

danemayer

When we're going to be in place for a while, depending on the slope of the site, I'll sometimes put blocks under the front landing gear. I do that to reduce the extension of the jacks which helps reduce the shake from the washing machine spin cycle.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Lynette:
I hope you have the opportunity to join us for the Meet n Greet on July 6 in Goodyear, AZ. We will have a number of attendees that will be happy to talk with you all day about RVng and your Rig.
I think you are coming down from the mountains that day and I am sure we can find a place to park the RV for a few hours...Let me know.

kowAlski631

Hi, Lynette. Use the auto level - yep, it'll freak you out at first when it goes through all its gyrations, but you'll get accustomed to what's normal and when you'll need to add blocks. It's my job to level it, so the index finger gets exercised (LOL).

Have fun and enjoy!

Martha

Oregon_Camper

Does anyone use their auto leveling system when you park your trailer at your destination? If so do you use the yellow blocks underneath the jacks?

In my usage, we still use wood under the landing gear, as we camp in remote locations, where the landing gear is typically only on dirt. I use two 2x6's (which become 2x12's and are about 18" long) to distribute the weight in the dirt. This works great for us. If you look at my signature picture below, you can see how we camp and why using wood to disperse the weight is helpful.

Now, If I happen to be "fancy camping" in one of those RV parks where the sites are level and have asphalt (..and power, water, sewer!!) then I don't use the wood. The "snap pads" are good enough for this.

Smitty325

Regarding the use of Auto Level. I would say I agree with everything discussed, but as a New member of the RV Community, I would like someone to address the leveling issue faced when your system is saying GREEN LIGHT, the coach is level, but your right side tires are off the ground or barely touching. What if anything do you do then?

Nuclearcowboy

Regarding the use of Auto Level. I would say I agree with everything discussed, but as a New member of the RV Community, I would like someone to address the leveling issue faced when your system is saying GREEN LIGHT, the coach is level, but your right side tires are off the ground or barely touching. What if anything do you do then?

If your RV is level and you have one or more tires off the ground on one side, then the area you are parked on is uneven between the two sides. In that case, what I do is put one or two 2 x 6's that I carry with me under the tires on the low side to ensure all tires stay firmly planted on the ground after leveling. I know there are a lot of differing opinions out there on wheels off the ground and not, but I do not want my RV on just the jacks on one side.
As for putting blocks under the leveling jacks (which, by the way, I always use auto level), I always put 3-4 yellow 'lego' blocks under the 4 rear stabilizers, no matter how far they have to extend to level. My experience is that the shorter the distance they extend, the more stable my RV seems to be. Just sharing my experience.

mlpeloquin

I have only used auto level once in the last two years. Used it all the time in the beginning. I did not like having one set of tires off the ground which happened several times. I manually leveled to correct the problem with the tires being off the ground and did not need anything under them to get level. The last time I used it, it worked perfectly, but I prefer to manually level since the LED will show which side off of level and I can do it quicker.

Smitty325

I have only used auto level once in the last two years. Used it all the time in the beginning. I did not like having one set of tires off the ground which happened several times. I manually leveled to correct the problem with the tires being off the ground and did not need anything under them to get level. The last time I used it, it worked perfectly, but I prefer to manually level since the LED will show which side off of level and I can do it quicker.

Should you ever level with the slides out?

Paradise2

Lynette:
I hope you have the opportunity to join us for the Meet n Greet on July 6 in Goodyear, AZ. We will have a number of attendees that will be happy to talk with you all day about RVng and your Rig.
I think you are coming down from the mountains that day and I am sure we can find a place to park the RV for a few hours...Let me know.

Good chance we might now be able to make it....I will keep you updated!!

GregP

We use our auto-level function just about every time we disconnect and set up. I used to carry a lot of blocking, but now carry just a couple in case we need them. When I first started using the auto level function, it always seemed that the rig was slightly off-level after the auto levelling was complete. I since learned that sometimes the units need to be calibrated to set up a base-line level point. This should need to only be done once if it is off at all, and is fairly easy to do. Let the auto level do its thing while you do other more important stuff (find the bottle opener comes to mind). Only thing to keep in mind is to make sure you disconnect the tow vehicle before levelling as the unit will "kneel" at the start of the process and could make contact with the truck body.

NYSUPstater

We too still put boards under the pads to disperse the weight. Doesn't bother me to do so as it only takes a couple minutes. Then hit the "auto-level" and 1 minute 15 seconds later, she's all done leveling herself. Hooking up, we put system in manual to raise rear 4 legs, then just hit the raise/lower switch for front legs to align w/ truck. Only once here at the house did the auto-level raise one side tires off the ground. Don't know why, but it did. Like AP said, the front will knell down and if your truck is under it-----SQUISH.

kbausano

Hi Lynette,

When I disconnect from the truck, I always use auto-level. It's a feature that added much expense to your coach - may as well use it :)

Hope this helps :)

Just to highlight something Jim said here - ALWAYS disconnect and move your truck well away from your 5th, before you start your auto-level process. The front end will often end up lower than it was in 'towing position,' and you might do damage to your tow vehicle if it's not clear of the front end of your trailer.

Also, we love our Snappads: very helpful and simple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emery395

auto level 6 jack system 2017 cyclone 4005 questions???

How stable will the position of these jacks be while unit in storage? Does the auto level need power over 4 months of storage?

Once system levels unit how stable is the system over time? When and if it goes out of level do you just turn on unit and push auto level again?

thanks for advice

danemayer

auto level 6 jack system 2017 cyclone 4005 questions???

How stable will the position of these jacks be while unit in storage? Does the auto level need power over 4 months of storage?

Once system levels unit how stable is the system over time? When and if it goes out of level do you just turn on unit and push auto level again?

thanks for advice

As long as the system is working correctly, the leveling system will be stable and doesn't need power while in storage.

If the trailer is not on shore power while in storage, the battery cutoff(s) should be OFF or the parasitic drains inside the trailer will deplete the battery. If you do have shore power, check the battery water level monthly.

If there's a problem causing one or more jacks to change position, you could re-level, but it'll probably happen again until you get the malfunction corrected.

Unless you have some reason to think it's not working correctly, you should be fine.

emery395

Speaking of battery disconnect, why are there 2 of them?

Owners manual advises bring battery inside for winter. Any opinion?

danemayer

Speaking of battery disconnect, why are there 2 of them?

Owners manual advises bring battery inside for winter. Any opinion?

If you have 2 cutoffs, one is to the residential refrigerator's dedicated inverter. That allows you to cut power to the inverter without shutting off power to the rest of the trailer, and vice versa.

I've never brought batteries inside, but in central Texas it never got very cold, and when in colder areas we were using the trailer and were plugged into shore power.