Using Generator Prep

jhardin

Can you or is it possible to use the wiring for the generator prep wiring to connect a champion generator that will be in bed of truck. I guess what I'm trying to say is, can I make an extension cord wired to the plug for Gen. prep and plug it into generator in bed of truck? If so, will transfer switch work? Gen. has 30 amp plug.Does transfer switch engage when detecting gen. run? Can you use a surge protector in this set up (or would you need too)? Anybody tried this? How did you wire it? I know it's a lot of scattered questions but any input will be appreciate.
thanks, Jerry

gasman

Camp Socializer
You will need to determine if you are pre-wired for 30A or 50A. If you have 2 conductors and a ground that is 30A. If you have 3 conductors and a ground that is 50A. If you are wired for 50A, you will need to tie the black and red wires together in order to power both legs of the coach. The transfer switch will work just fine. My power management system is connected to the shoreline and then the transfer switch is wired in from the generator and the PMS. It then connects to the coach electrical system. Progressive Dynamics (PMS manufacturer) recommended this method as the genset has its own voltage protection.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I too would like to know if there is a way to wire a portable genny to our 2013 Key Largo Gen Prep package? My genny is either a key start or pull start so I guess I first have to figure a way to activate the ignition switch before even thinking about hour clock and kill switch.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you get the wiring hooked together correctly and have a PDI in line EMS/ Surge protector, it will detect an open ground and not let the power through. You can either turn off the EMS (not recommended) or plug a ground cheater plug into the generator to simulate a ground connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iowaone

I did this with an extension cord that I fished to the hitch. It stays there till I need to run the gen. I did need to use the cheater plug to keep the ems from tripping. Works great.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
OK, what's a cheater plug? Pic's please for the simple minded RV'r link me. :confused:

Last edited: