Using hydraulic jacks in rear only?

atckid

I just traded our M27 for an Elkridge 30RLT. It has the lippert self leveling system. We have come in to a situation where we may need to raise the front jacks to get a 6x6 block under them. Can we lower the rear and/or middle jacks and safely raise the front jacks to get the blocks under them?
Thanks

danemayer

The only way to raise the front jacks to get blocks underneath is to hitch up to the truck. Or possibly to put blocks under the frame in front and then retract to see if you can get the amount of clearance you want.

carl.swoyer

I just traded our M27 for an Elkridge 30RLT. It has the lippert self leveling system. We have come in to a situation where we may need to raise the front jacks to get a 6x6 block under them. Can we lower the rear and/or middle jacks and safely raise the front jacks to get the blocks under them?
Thanks
Place your blocks under all you jacks before you disconnect.
I use extra blocks under the jacks so when using auto level they don't have to extend so far. Keep in mind that the first thing auto level does is drops the nose.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

atckid

The only way to raise the front jacks to get blocks underneath is to hitch up to the truck. Or possibly to put blocks under the frame in front and then retract to see if you can get the amount of clearance you want.
Dan
thanks for the quick reply. Here is the possible situation. We are storing the Elkridge at a "valet" type storage facility. We have an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. In order for us to hitch up, the front of the camper has to be a little higher than the front jacks extend thus the need for the 6x6 block. If the "valet" folks bring our camper out for us to hook up and forget to use the blocks, Would I have to get them to lift the camper so I can get the blocks under the front jacks or would the following work? Could I lower the rear and middle jacks and then raise the front jacks enough to slide the blocks under them? Or would the camper not be stable enough on just the rear and middle jacks?
Thanks
Sandy, Barbara and furbaby Ebby

danemayer

Dan
thanks for the quick reply. Here is the possible situation. We are storing the Elkridge at a "valet" type storage facility. We have an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. In order for us to hitch up, the front of the camper has to be a little higher than the front jacks extend thus the need for the 6x6 block. If the "valet" folks bring our camper out for us to hook up and forget to use the blocks, Would I have to get them to lift the camper so I can get the blocks under the front jacks or would the following work? Could I lower the rear and middle jacks and then raise the front jacks enough to slide the blocks under them? Or would the camper not be stable enough on just the rear and middle jacks?
Thanks
I would expect if you retract the front gear, the nose will go down. The center and rear jacks alone would not hold the nose up.

PondSkum

The center jacks will not hold up the front, as the system is designed to transfer fluid between the center and rear jack on the same side for front to back leveling. The front jacks will retract all the way and still be touching the ground, the center jacks retract and the fluid moves to the rear jacks. I've actually lowered the front completely in my driveway, while trying to diagnose my Auto Leveling system, and the front jacks will never leave the ground unless the truck is connected, or you have the frame blocked up somehow.

Now, for your issue, you could carry some 6 ton Jack stands and set them up under the front part of the frame to support it as you retract the front jacks to put blocks under it.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
If you have the room with the jacks retracted why not just attach the blocks to the pads on the front legs. My pads have holes in them already. it would only take a few minutes to unscrew the pads to travel. would seem to be a lot less work

atckid

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
My situation is....if the folks that move my camper out of storage for me to hook up, forget the 6x6 blocks under the front jacks, I have to get them to go back out and raise it to put the blocks under it. I have to have the blocks because my jacks don't extend far enough to get the kingpin on the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck on my truck.
Again, Thanks everyone for your help.

danemayer

I have to have the blocks because my jacks don't extend far enough to get the kingpin on the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck on my truck.

Assuming the campsite is fairly level front-to-rear, what you're describing is abnormal. Your jacks really should extend far enough to get hitched and unhitched without blocks, with room to spare. So maybe there's something else that needs to be corrected.

1. Are the front jacks mounted to the frame at the correct height?
  2. Is the truck lifted?
  3. Do you have oversized tires?
  4. Is the pinbox mounted at the correct height?
  5. Is the hitch mounted and adjusted optimally?

mlpeloquin

To add to this is the amount of weight on the rear axle with the front so high. You maybe over weight on the rear axle and tires. You need to be weighed to see. And then there is the height clearance that should be measured with being noise high.

porthole

Retired
Thanks to everyone for all the help.
My situation is....if the folks that move my camper out of storage for me to hook up, forget the 6x6 blocks under the front jacks, I have to get them to go back out and raise it to put the blocks under it. I have to have the blocks because my jacks don't extend far enough to get the kingpin on the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck on my truck.
Again, Thanks everyone for your help.

The only thing I can think is put a sign on the front jack switch. You cannot raise the front jacks off the ground without the trailer on the truck or proper blocking under the frame.
Sounds like the easiest thing will be educating your valet parkers.