Using Rest Stops

'Lil Guy'

Being a little green here, I assume we pull our trailers to the truck parking area at rest stops. Has anyone caught a little sleep at a rest stop on a trip? Just seems convenient to get back on the road rather than pulling off and looking for an RV park. Not concerned with the expense as much as the ease of getting back on the road. Some are probably safer than others but I guess you will sense that when you arrive. Getting ready for our first long trip and would like a little feed back here. Thanks in advance.

Speedy

You may not get as much sleep as you think because of all the traffic that comes and goes while you are there. Then there is that feeling in the back of your mind of who may be outside looking over your rig and either sabotaging it or stealing something from it.

Once Rana and I stopped trying to travel to many miles in one day and enjoyed the trip instead of getting there Rest Stop Areas are just places to pull over to stretch legs and use our bathroom.

campers2

Agree, most do not encourage sleeping. Truckers do but run the engines. We are members in discount clubs like Passport America that is more peace of mind for a night of sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you planning to spend a night at a rest stop? Or just catch a nap in the daytime?
There are a lot of campgrounds right on the interstate system. Easy in, easy out.
Personally I would rather, and have spent a night at WalMart than a rest stop, but it could be a toss up.
There is a great phone app called AllStays Camp & RV. This will tell you where campgrounds, rest areas and Walmarts are located. Among other things.
Where is your first long trip going to take you?
If it will bring you to northern IL you can sleep easy at the rest areas.....they caught the rest area murderer.
Seriously.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

We stayed overnight in a truck stop once because we had gotten off course and needed to call it a day. We parked as far as possible away from the trucks. Summer temps in the mid 90s. We fired up the on-board generator so we could run the air conditioning and watch TV. As the night progressed, the truck stop filled up and there were trucks parked on either side of us, with engines running - right next to our bedroom. What a racket!

We were there for about 12 hours and when we filled the propane tank at our next stop, it turned out that overnight stop cost $36 of propane. Considering that we didn't get much rest, I'd much rather have stayed at an RV park if we could have found one.

Jim.Allison

I would stay in one in a heartbeat if I needed to. Of course I rather pay for a hook up rather than a propane cylinder, but sometimes it is necessary. While a WalMart parking lot is better than an interstate "Rest Area," an Interstate "Picnic Area" is better than either one. A Federal "primitive" campground is another consideration and they have dump stations.

Actually you can pretty much pull into anything that is designed to accommodate parking and get away with 8 hours. I saw a busy McDonalds on the interstate and they had a dirt lot down the street, I bet you could park there for 8 hours and no-one would bother you. If they did ask you to move tell them you are sorry and move it right away, do not undress, be prepared to open the door to greet any manager that might get after you. It would be nice to have a bag that shows you purchased something from them, that way they know you are a customer as well.

We stayed in a little city owned RV park with water and 50 amps, they had a single dump station as well. They took donations, I gave them $10 bucks cause that is what it was worth. I bet a lot of folks don't leave anything there.

There are plenty of places to get 4 to 8 hours of sleep when deadheading, You don't always need AC, I'm from South Texas and I promise you I have and still can sleep in 80 to 90 degree heat, granted that a little fan would work miracles in this situation. But a nap is a nap.

I have in the past covered up with a wet sheet and turn a fan on myself and it feels like air conditioning. It just depends on if you are saving up for supper or not. lol

"Dont be Ah-scared man," it is better to be forgiven than to get permission in many cases. BTW, I found that many people are willing to help out a fiver or a motor rig. I parked in a western wear place, disconnected the truck and had it serviced, I asked the manager before I did it and the guy was eager to please.

You might find that as long as WE are courteous, and try to repay the good deeds the better off WE are. BTW this is something all of us can do when we are forced into a WalMart parking lot; pick up a few of those items you know you need anyway, make your purchase and with your bag in your hand, go tell the manager how much you appreciate him/her and WalMart for helping RV'rs with temporary stopovers.

jbeletti

We use rest stop nearly every day of travel. We use them for lunch and potty breaks primarily, but I have taken a short catnap a few times. Only once have I overnighted at one.

And yes, use the Trucks area of rest stops. You'll need it for the length.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Many rest stops in Colorado and New Mexico prohibit overnight stays. Texas has some "Safety Rest Areas" which are new and have large parking areas for trucks, as well as cameras, and are designated as a tornado shelter, just in case. These rest stops I might feel more comfortable staying at, but we have never boondocked. (Except for this current trip, when we had to say in an RV Park's parking lot due to a repair needed on the rig.)

jayc

Legendary Member
Like Jim, we use rest stops every day when traveling, and to catch a nap if necessary. I have spent the night in rest stops long ago when I tried trailer delivering. Some states have security in their rest stops and the wife and I might try it again sometime. Traveling the way we do now, it is very unlikely, but I wouldn't be against staying in one. Lock the doors!!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use them and truck stops when we are in a hurry to get somewhere. We keep our honda eu 2000 gens chained in back of truck and use them. We don't stop in one till after dark and usually up and gone by daylight. We also only put our bed slide out enough for DW to get around and then pull it back in. We have stayed in rest stops, truck stops, wal marts and a Cracker Barrel on way home from urbanna. We always ask a manager and make a purchase at either of the last two I listed. Just be considerate of others and don't overstay your welcome.

ILH

When I stop at a rest stop, I am always paranoid of pranksters playing with my hitch. I've heard of people who will pull the release handle on the 5th wheel. Needless to say, I always inspect the hitch before getting back on the road.

Jim.Allison

Yes you are right, I found myself wondering about that but not necessarily at a rest area. Fact is that the locking block should be of extreme concern to us at all times. It could be unlocked in a WalMart parking lot as easy as anywhere else. However, with the legs not extended it would be difficult to disengage the locking block, but once unlocked it would probably slide off right then and there. I think you would know it as the damage would have already been done. I'm thinking I'm going to install a lock to prevent the block from moving.

If you can think of it, it will be done sooner or later. Premonitions are created at the intersection of intellect and reality. Your fear is a valid fear.

When I stop at a rest stop, I am always paranoid of pranksters playing with my hitch. I've heard of people who will pull the release handle on the 5th wheel. Needless to say, I always inspect the hitch before getting back on the road.

porthole

Retired
I have stayed at rest stops multiple times. But I can sleep just about anywhere.
Most of the time I will drop the front landing gear for some stability. I always padlock the hitch. I have some magnetic flashers I will stick to the slide mechanism if I have the slide out at all.
Genny as needed. If possible I try an utilize a spot along a curb, that way you only get one vehicle alongside of you.

Ohio rest stops have RV sections with electric ($20 for 24 hours), although they are set up for motorhomes. But if empty there is plenty of 5th wheel room.
I lock all the compartment doors.

And two dogs that make a racket are helpful as well.

donr827

If you can pre plan your rest stop for the night try to pick a large one which will give you a lot of parking places for rvs and trucks. Every state is a little different has to how long you are allowed to stay. A lot of the ones have night time security. Also Flying Js truck stops usually have a section set off for RVs that will allow over night stays along with a restaurant and supplies...........Don

'Lil Guy'

I thought I had asked this question before. I'll stay in RV parks. I need the A/C to sleep. I'm sure I'll be frequenting the RS's just to stretch my legs.

jdamude

We have been travelling the US for many years and have stayed in many rest areas. I have always thought that they were relatively safe. I have noticed that a lot of them have janitorial staff on site around the clock.

I keep a pad lock on the fifth wheel to prevent any problems.

dbbls59

I have stayed in rest areas but I feel more secure at WalMart, Home Depot or Lowes. Also, not all rest areas are created equally. Some have signs stating "No Trucks allowed". I feel safer in these. Once I had a Lowes manager tell me to pull around to the back of the store and park there. This was almost like a private campground.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been traveling fulltime since 2007 and have never stayed at a rest stop, Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel or such. I normally leave by 9:30 or 10:30 and travel around 250 miles or less. This puts me into a place that I can stay overnight by 4pm. I have only driven into dark one time to a campground and I will never do it again. It was a nice campground in Likely CA but it had no lights around the campground so you could see the roads.

I guess being retired helps but if you are still working and have a limited time I might try something like Wal-Mart.

FWIW
BC

Jim.Allison

I would just like to add that I have no concerns about any of these places, BUT and its a big BUT. When we are middle aged or older and we are pulling a fiver of driving a motorhome, we are a mark, no matter where we are. The bad guys are good at what they do, we are kind and generous people, they say we are easy. I would rank the security of the places on 1 to 10, 10 being the highest risk of being ripped off or injured, as follows.

Road side park with restroom......10
Road side park with picnic table only......7
Primitive campground state or federal.........6
WalMart Parking lot.........5
Lowes..........4
Populated RV Park......... 2
Populated National Forest, with or without hook ups.........2
Populated state park with or without hook ups....2

Risk varies with proximity to cities and high crime areas. ex some walmarts could be a 10.

Thoughts?