Valve to cut off water to washer/dryer

wyleyrabbit

Is there a valve somewhere that would allow me to turn off all water flow to both the cold and hot water lines that go to the front closet for the washer/dryer? We're not fulltimers, and will likely never have a washer/dryer in our trailer.

Unfortunately, with the lines there and active, I have to winterize them and de-winterize them likely a few times a year.

If there isn't a valve, does anyone know if there are 1/2" PEX-compatible valves that would allow me to accomplish this project? I already have the PEX crimp tool.

Thanks,
Chris

2010augusta

there are PEX 1/2" in 1/2" out 1/4turn valve at many plumbing stores and Lowes. I used them to fix all the broken in a house that was vacated and never winterized. the quick connect Watts fitting are great and easy to slide into place. should be about $6.00 each

2010augusta

Here is a brass one
valve.JPG

wyleyrabbit

Alan, that looks exactly like what I need. Thanks.

Now, next question is: is there a plumbing diagram of my trailer somewhere? I'm pretty sure those plumbing lines run along the top of our basement, but I'm not sure where they come from. Would I need to take the door-side basement wall off? Or does this water line run behind the dresser? It's tough to plan projects like this when our trailer is not nearby.

Chris

2010augusta

I would plan on taking all the screws on the basement wall out and the laundry lines are probably the last lines to branch off the main line. It might be easier to remove the four screw that hold the cover to the door-side basement ceiling and putting the valves there, but going in to the basement will allow you to put the valves closer to the main branch and be better for winterizing.

wyleyrabbit

Have to de-winterize to use the water lines. :rolleyes:

Now if you were wondering about "winterizing" that would make more sense. :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not sure how your rig is plumbed, but in my 3670, the water lines and drain for the W/D in the front closet run under that black "box" hanging from the basement ceiling right inside the basement door. The one with my headprint on it :eek: They run back behind the basement wall. If you want to keep the lines dry, I'd suggest you put the valves back there someplace, as close as possible to where they branch off the hot and cold supply lines.

wyleyrabbit

Ha ha ha. I have hit my head on the "black box" more than a few times myself.

I'm not sure I completely understand the reason for the "black box" anyways. Other than those water lines, what else runs through there?

JohnDar

Ha ha ha. I have hit my head on the "black box" more than a few times myself.

I'm not sure I completely understand the reason for the "black box" anyways. Other than those water lines, what else runs through there?

I'm pretty sure that's it. I don't recall seeing an electrical wire hanging in there. Only reason I pulled it off was so I could get the basement wall out to relocate my surge suppressor. That plumbing cover blocks getting the wall out.

2010augusta

There are the hot and cold lines for the washer, large drain for washer, "flood" drain for washer, and about 6 or so electrial wires.

Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• DSCN6412.JPG
    DSCN6412.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 72

JohnDar

There are the hot and cold lines for the washer, large drain for washer, "flood" drain for washer, and about 6 or so electrial wires.

Here is a picture of mine.

Most likely mine was similar. It was last spring when I pulled the cover off and I really wasn't looking for anything there. Just remembered the hoses and drain pipe being there. If all similar rigs are prepped for W/D, then it makes sense they'd use that space to run wires, too.

boatdoc

Hey Guys,
If you take that black box down and measure it for height it is way more than it needs to be!!! I took mine down to have a look at what it covered and got to looking and found way to much "hangy down". I posted earlier about my mod. Was way easy to cut it down to gain the "headspace".
Gary

wyleyrabbit

OK, just a quick update.

The water lines that go through the "black box" at the top of the basement on the door side are NOT the ones that go to the washer/dryer in the front closet. Those lines go to the bedroom sink!

The hot and cold water lines that go to the bedroom closet run behind the bedroom dresser, and split off under the sink. To put in shutoff valves for the washer lines, it's under the sink that the ball valves need to be installed.

I did mine this past weekend.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I've been thinking of taking that cover off, and removing the drain pipes and water lines. We don't have a W/D and most likely never will. That would leave only the electric wiring (if they are any). This would free up some space and also keep me from a lot of headaches. I figure I can cap off the drain pipes and remover the water lines back a coupler, but I haven't crawled all the way behind the wall as yet to check it out.

wyleyrabbit

Steve,

Which cover? The one in the basement? Those lines in there are for the sink, not the washing machine. I found that out the hard way, trust me!

Chris

JohnDar

Steve,

Which cover? The one in the basement? Those lines in there are for the sink, not the washing machine. I found that out the hard way, trust me!

Chris

Chris, on the 3670, the cover we're talking about, just inside the curb side cargo door, does contain the plumbing and electric for the W/D. Our sinks are on the other side of the trailer.

wyleyrabbit

I ended up modifying my plumbing based on what others here said, and ended up disabling water to my sink.

Wouldn't it be great if somewhere in the manual or somewhere else we could access information like this? I realize that sometimes information may be proprietary, but as owners of the trailers, we should have access to the information! It's not like I'm going to start a new brand of trailers and compete with Heartland, and it's not like any competitor couldn't figure out this information easily some other way.

Having to continually "reverse engineer" things is crazy. Even cars and trucks have service manuals that are publicly available that explain how everything works. Heartland, could we please have information like plumbing and wiring diagrams for our trailers?

Thanks,
Chris

2010augusta

I would guess that the supply lines are "teed" further towards the front of the trailer, So, IF Heartland runs the plumbing in the 3055 like they do in the Augusta, then you can look under the bedroom dresser for more water lines.

wyleyrabbit

Alan,

Thanks for the pic.

On our Bighorn 3055RL, the "black box" only goes about half way across the basement, and the lines in there are most definitely for the sink.

Our plumbing tees off under the sink, and the drains and pex lines for the washer run behind the dresser. I installed the pex ball valves a few inches from the tee connector under the sink.