Valves for winterizing and hot water bypass are both leaking

jpdoggett

I have a 2011 Landmark Augusta that is never winterized cause it stays in Texas, neither one of these valves have been used but they are both leaking into the storage area. I have not talked to the dealer or the manufacture. Anybody have this problem? and what did you have to do? like replace them :(

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim,
Yes I have had this problem with the bypass valve. I put a screw-in plug in the return hose and took the handle off the valve, so it can not be accidently turned on.

The problem is the plastic began to crack at the female threads on the valve.

I saw a brass version of this same valve somewhere a while back for around ten bucks. Now I can not locate it. I will look again and post the link when I find it.

A repair guy also suggested just putting a 1/2" brass fitting in place of it, if it is never used. Just eliminating the valve altogether. Trace

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, can you be a bit more specific? Is it the check valve in the water heater or the bypass valves that are leaking? If the bypass, where is the water coming from, the crimped fitting or the connections at the water heater? The connections on the rear of the heater can be hand tightened. The pex connections can be replaced but be sure to use brass fittings and stainless PEX clamps. You'll need a special tool available at all places that sell PEX stuff.