Virginia Diesel fuel tax refund

beasleyrl

I was renewing my wife's car registration tonight and happened to see a link to Diesel Vehicle Fuel Refunds. According to the website:

"Diesel fuel purchased in Virginia[FONT=arial, helvetica, san-serif] for use in a qualifying vehicle may be eligible for a refund. The refund amount is the difference between the tax rate on diesel and the tax rate on gasoline in place at the time of the fuel purchase(s). Qualifying vehicles include diesel passenger cars, pickup or panel trucks, and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less. [Effective July 1, 2013]"[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, san-serif]I'm curious if anyone has ever filed for this? While the current rate is only $0.04 per gallon, a single fill up will be a refund of over $4 so in a 6 month period, it can add up...

Roger
[/FONT]

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I saw that the other day when renewing my truck registration on line. We used this a lot when we had our boat. First time I've seen it for RVs. Will have to save all receipts for awhile, but like you said, it adds up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Looking at the stipulations it would appear the state is banking on most people not filing.
Like Gus, when we had our diesel boat I was always filing. In New Jersey it is part of your tax return. And the refund was the full road tax portion. At .20-.30 cents a gallon and 200-400 gallons at a time it really adds up.

Tombstonejim

Here in Az you just take your pump receipt into the cashier and they give it to you on the spot. I don't bother unless i buy a lot. Although, on the pumps that sell the class 2 diesel with a tax of 21c it can add up.