Virginia to Yellowstone this Summer

travel

After two short years of weekend camping with other couples in our Heartland Edge M20 - we are finally both retired and heading out alone traveling from Virginia to Yellowstone this August. We have reservations inside the park with full hookups (at the Fishing Bridge Campground) for a week and are looking forward to accomplishing a dream we have had for over 40 years of a road trip across the country.

First - any specific tips for Yellowstone? We have signed up for a few of the guided tours (photo, sunset, etc) and are leaving several days clear to explore on our own. I anticipate having some withdrawal from electronics as I have been told cell phone reception is spotty at best. I believe we can carry in enough food to combine cooking for ourselves with making use of the park facilities for meals occasionally to make it through the week without having to go back outside the park.

Second - What is the first advice you would give novices heading out for their first long trip (we will probably be traveling for a month round-trip). Common sense tells us that we will see to the condition of both our trailer and RV - but what surprises did you run into on your first long excursion?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Travel

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like a great trip and doing your homework ahead of time is a great idea.
We have been to Yellowstone a couple of times and will go again. You will love it.

Because we all have different likes the only thing I will say is that in doing your homework be sure to check out all the things available to see on the way out there. Black Hills area, Little Bighorn battle site, Cody SE of Yellowstone and more.

The only surprise I had was a flat tire on the interstate, never changed a tire so fast in my life. Almost no shoulder and scary.
You will have fun on your adventure. Lots to see there.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Get your trailer wheel bearings checked and repacked, and maybe even a wheel alignment on the trailer before you leave.

And if you have the TowMax tires (aka - BlowMax) . . . get rid of them pronto!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were there in early May 5 years ago and had to stay in Cody. The only campground open then was in the north gate area which was a boondocking area only. We love Cody and all the history around that area. With a 40+ camper, campgrounds were pretty limited expecially within the park.

Lynn1130

A couple of things to keep in mind. You do not say when, in August, you are going. Winter comes earlier in Wyoming/Montana than in Virginia. You can run into snow, ice and other nasty weather there. Be prepared.

We found that by getting up early, and hitting the sites before 10 AM we would pretty much have the park and sights to ourselves. If you wait until after 10 be ready for limited parking places and traffic jams. We could then head back for a nice "brunch" a nap and some afternoon off sight adventures.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
If you can, do some hiking or horseback riding. Get away from the road and the noise and the crowds. There are lots of trails you can use. Follow the guide lines for wildlife contact. I spent a decade guiding pack trips in and around Yellowstone and in my opinion most folks miss the best parts of the "park"bonner fork.jpgthe pass.jpg. The fishing is outstanding if you like that sort of thingcut throught.jpg Fishing the Yellowstone the Wyoming wayfishin the stone.jpg

If your looking for a nice dinner I'd recommend dining at lake one night.

A couple three days in Cody is worth it too. The Buffalo Bill center of the west is just one of the must see's.

osims

bsims
We stayed in Cody for a few days when we went to Yellowstone and glad we did, the Bear Tooth Highway and Chief Joesph highway are both great drives with some of the most beautiful sights I've seen.

aatauses

You WILL have a great time. Not sure of your route, but consider doing your homework on interesting places,. NE--check out the westward expansion museum in Kearney. MO--stop and enjoy the gateway arch. KN-check out the high grass prairie. SD--Black Hills, Badlands
al

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Once you get west of the Mississippi River, never skip a gas station with less than a 1/2 tank of gas . . . even along the interstate!

And if you are even questionable . . . 3/4 of a tank of gas!

Here is us on our way home from South Dakota out in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska, after skipping a gas station with 3/4 of a tank and running out 17 miles short of civilization and waiting 2 1/2 hours for our Good Sam's Roadside Assistance Card to pay for itself!

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

Last edited: