Warning: TR4/66082-8H Wheel Failures

DW_Gray

I have had two wheel failures in 5 months. Both failure points are at the same location on the wheels. The failure is a single hairline crack. See the attached pictures of the whole wheel and the closeup. This wheel model is on the Cyclone as shown below.

Failure symptoms:

Wheel #1: Over a period of 3 weekly tire pressure inspections prior to leaving the campground, I noticed a consistent loss of 4-5 PSI. After having the wheel and tire placed in a tank of water, only then did the tire technician and I discover small one inch fracture.

Wheel #2: Discovered this failure after after installing a new tire because the original tire failed. During reinstalling the wheel and new tire on the RV, the technician notice bubbling coming from the the wheel. At this point it became clear that the tire failure was the result of the loss of air the day before when the wheel cracked.

UPDATE (1/29/14): I just recalled that two years ago while on the way to the National Rally in Goshen a wheel failed and I had to replace it at Tredit. That wheel developed a very small crack at the valve steam. That one too, slowly leaked air between pressure checks.

Additional note: I do not have a TPMS. This experience proves that no matter how religious one is checking PSI before the day's trip, loss of air can occur at anytime. If I had had the TPMS, I could have at least saved a tire from failure. Rest assured, this does not give reason not to check the PSI prior to each trip.

Tredit replaced the first failure last August at no charge. I'm awaiting for approval of replacement on the most recent failure.

UPDATE (1/30/14): A Tredit representative emailed me. These original OEM wheels are no longer warranted and the warranty was for only one year. Otherwise, I got an excellent deal on 5 new wheels and 50 stainless steel capped lug nuts. Click here to view the wheel model I'm getting from Tredit.

UPDATE (2/1/14): I completed filing a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the NHTSA. Anyone who has had this model wheel fail should fill out the online form here. It's very simple to complete.

UPDATE (2/4/14): Well, I guess I got there attention. I received a call this morning little after seven from the ODI-NHTSA. The investigator requested the wheel pictures and permission to release my VIN number since it's a personal identifier.

They do pay attention to safety concerns by consumers.

Markings on Wheel:
TTW Inc
TR4
SANHUA
16x6J
66084-6H
66082-8H
MAX LOAD 3042 LBS

01WheelTR4_66082-H8.jpg 02WheelTR4_66082-H8.jpg

Last edited:

whp4262

DW_Gray

Thanks for the info, I'm running the same wheels so I will be watching them pretty close.

danemayer

Dave, could you describe the failure symptom. Was it a slow loss of air pressure? Rapid loss of air? How did you know there was a problem?

brianharrison

Thanks for sharing.

This could be a one off thing, or it could be a batch of these wheels with manufacturing defects. If you have two with similar failures, I am kinda thinking it is probably the latter. Can you think of reasons two of yours would fail in the same way? ie mechanical force on two wheels installed on one side of the unit?

Is there a way to open an investigation file with the manufacturer, or some goverment agency? This may be a problem with a larger sample size, which could be a safety hazard for a greater number of installations? Just thinking out loud..... I am unfamiliar with recourse means for wheel safety issues....

Brian

DW_Gray

LATE UPDATE: I just recalled that two years ago while on the way to the National Rally in Goshen a wheel failed and I had to replace it at Tredit. That wheel developed a very small crack at the valve steam. That one too, slowly leaked air between pressure checks.

Brian, the wheels were not just on one side. My personal opinion is that these wheels are underrated for my trailer even though I don't exceed the weight on the wheels. But it's very close to the limit on rear axle. All the newer Cyclones in the same class use wheels rated for 3750 lbs @ 110 PSI. I am looking into reporting these wheels to the NHTSA. I share the same safety concerns as you.

I just cleaned the wheel on the inside. I'm not certain without some kind of dye, but while using a magnifying glass there appears to be a very fine crack line on the opposite side of the visual crack that is much longer. Something like a stress fracture.

hoefler

I had the very same failure on my 06 Landmark in the summer of 09. My tire dealer, they are a nation wide wholesaler, said there had been some issues with those wheels. They also mount wheels and tires by the pallet full for trailer manufactures. I replaced all 4 wheels.

DW_Gray

I just got off the phone discussing the wheel warranty with a Tredit representative. These original OEM wheels are no longer warranted and the warranty was for only one year.

Otherwise, I got an excellent deal on 5 new wheels and 50 stainless steel capped lug nuts. Click here to view the wheel model I'm getting from Tredit.

porthole

Retired
These original OEM wheels are no longer warranted and the warranty was for only one year.

Since the new wheels are not OEM, what is the warranty?

I had a cracked rim on the way to Goshen last year - TPMS Dave - I saw the drop and was able to get off the Ohio TP and change out the tire/wheel.

That wheel was replaced under either warranty or goodwill, don't know which, but it was 3 years old (not OEM) and delivered mounted and balanced at Goshen.
I had dropped it off at http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ after getting off the Ohio pike.

The above intrent shop has a nice facilty in Edon, Ohio, and excellent custoemr service and prices.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just got off the phone discussing the wheel warranty with a Tredit representative. These original OEM wheels are no longer warranted and the warranty was for only one year.

Otherwise, I got an excellent deal on 5 new wheels and 50 stainless steel capped lug nuts. Click here to view the wheel model I'm getting from Tredit.

Wait, what? They are not warranted for life? My OEM Tredit wheels (T03) are.

DW_Gray

Yep, all this hype about lifetime warranty isn't true. I was told the new wheels are warranted for lifetime. I just need it in writing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

I completed filing a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the NHTSA. Anyone who has had this model wheel fail should fill out the online form here. It's very simple to complete.

donr827

I completed filing a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the NHTSA. Anyone who has had this model wheel fail should fill out the online form here. It's very simple to complete.

If you mentioned this to them while discussing the warrantee they might have helped you out with the cost. I had a similar problem about 7 years ago and called Tredit and after a maybe I should report it they agreed to replace it for free.
Don

DW_Gray

If you mentioned this to them while discussing the warrantee they might have helped you out with the cost. I had a similar problem about 7 years ago and called Tredit and after a maybe I should report it they agreed to replace it for free.
Don

Oh, I did. No response.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

DW_Gray

Well, I guess I got there attention. I received a call this morning little after seven from the ODI-NHTSA. The investigator requested the wheel pictures and permission to release my VIN number since it's a personal identifier.

They do pay attention to safety concerns by consumers.

Anyone who has had this model wheel fail should fill out the online form here. It's very simple to complete.

DW_Gray

I took my new wheels over to America's Tire in Jackson, CA (Same as Discount Tire) to have my RV tires installed. I also had them install the all metal bolt-on valves for my future TPMS. I also got two new warranty replacement tires. I was even honest about the one tire that failed because of the bad wheel and they replaced it no questions asked. I've never been more satisfied with a tire company than Discount/America's Tire.

Oh, one other point. It sure is nice to have a built-in hydraulic jack system. a.k.a. Level Up.