Waste tanks vents

ORV1980

Sherman
I was up on the roof looking at the tank vents making sure they were all open, which they are. But I am concerned that the vent pipes are not sealed at the roof. I can see the insulation in the roof. There is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap around the pipe. It seems to me this provides an opening for rain, snow, bugs, leaves, what-have-you to get in, and conditioned air to leak out.
On my last RV they cut a hole in the rubber roof just big enough for the pipe to come through.
You can see the gap near the bottom of the picture between the pipe and the outer cover.

Has anyone else noticed this on their rig? Have you done anything to seal the gap?
Thanks, Sherman

asset.php

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 80

mlpeloquin

Should not be a problem with the vent cover on. I used screen material so air could flow, but bugs (wasps) could not get into it through the vent cap. Don't ask me why I needed to do this! You could always put some Dicor NonSag Lap sealant in the gap.

Gary521

Should not be a problem with the vent cover on. I used screen material so air could flow, but bugs (wasps) could not get into it through the vent cap. Don't ask me why I needed to do this! You could always put some Dicor NonSag Lap sealant in the gap.
I am curios, why was this necessary?

rxbristol

Several of us seal around this gap because sewer gases will find their way down into the RV if left unsealed.

Gary521

Wasps made a nest in the tank vent. Huge nests in each the AC shrouds. I no longer store my RV at that location.

I am fortunate to have enough room to store the trailer beside my house. However, bees are everywhere? I also have a car trailer and bees build nests in the hitch. I have been stung trying to hitch this trailer.

Gary521

I was up on the roof looking at the tank vents making sure they were all open, which they are. But I am concerned that the vent pipes are not sealed at the roof. I can see the insulation in the roof. There is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap around the pipe. It seems to me this provides an opening for rain, snow, bugs, leaves, what-have-you to get in, and conditioned air to leak out.
On my last RV they cut a hole in the rubber roof just big enough for the pipe to come through.
You can see the gap near the bottom of the picture between the pipe and the outer cover.

Has anyone else noticed this on their rig? Have you done anything to seal the gap?
Thanks, Sherman

asset.php
Yes, I have noticed this on my trailer but was not concerned because of the way that that cap protected the opening. As long as the cap was on, I was OK with it. I have lost the cap a couple of times and then I was concerned but I carry a spare in case this happens.

ORV1980

Sherman
Several of us seal around this gap because sewer gases will find their way down into the RV if left unsealed.

That was what I was most concerned about and what caused me to be on the roof in the first place. We woke up one morning to a sewer smell in the front of the rig. I think the wind was causing turbulence and sending the stink into the ceiling.
I have not used Dicor NonSag Lap sealant but from what I just read it sounds like that would be a good solution.

Thanks all,
Sherman

Gary521

I replaced my sewer vent cap with a 360 vent cap. This has a good seal on the inner portion with a
shopping
screen. Forgot about his earlier,