Water Fill Anderson Valve

Wesco

Just took delivery of my new Bighorn. I've got a newbie question for the Anderson valve. We filled the tank and watched until we saw water flowing from the relief drain. We turned the water off and the water kept draining for a good half hour. When it finally stopped we were only reading 2/3. All we do is dry camping so this is important. Is there a chance when we do this we create some kind of siphon? We've had a 5th wheel for 5 years but our old Montana was gravity fill and easy.

danemayer

Hi Wesco,

Congratulations on the new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Unless the factory is doing something new, I think the overflow valves are connected close to the top of the tank. So I'd expect the tank to actually be pretty full when it overflows.

The tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate, so it's possible you have a full tank even though reading 2/3. Another thing to consider is whether the trailer is level side-to-side. If you're leaning a bit toward the side with the drain, that might account for what you're seeing.

On another recent thread, another owner suggested using an inexpensive flow meter to monitor how much water is being added, rather than depending on the sensor display.

- also, I moved your thread to a better area.

Wesco

Thanks for the fast answer. Going to do a shakedown trip this weekend to try everything out. I think I'll get one of those flow meters. :)

Gaffer

It might be a PITA, but you could fill it then drain into five gallon buckets to see how much comes out.