Water Filter

davebennington

I am not sure, but I think it is in the same place as the Ashland behind the UDC. You have to remove 4 screws from the angle panel and you will see it hanging there.

dave

davebennington

I agree it could be located in a better place or at least make it easier to get to. Removing the 4 screws will sooner or later become wallowed and not hold. I did a mod so you don't have to take the screws out to change the filter.

dave

Westwind

We use two external whole house GE filters. Easy to get to and purchase, filter replacements can be found at Home Depot. Since we have a on board washer dryer the whole house filters are a easy maintence item. Don't know what is used by Heartland on Landmark but knowing RV manufactures it's the least effective
and the cheapest. We Snowbird in Florida and have stayed at many resorts that have well water - hard with lots of Calcium.

jbeletti

RichnVinny and Dave,

Where would a better location be for the filter? I'd be happy to pass the feedback onto Tom.

Personally, I run a 2-stage system. Two whole-house filters are larger than I want to put in the UDC, so I put then behind the utility wall and made my wall easily removable witout tools. Also, I feel the filters will stay warmer behind the wall than they will in the storage bay or UDC.

What if a modification was made to the utility wall "at the factory" where it was easier to enter? And maybe bolt the filter to the back of the UDC where it was easier to reach in and service?

Looking forward to your ideas. Thanks guys.

jbeletti

... Don't know what is used by Heartland on Landmark but knowing RV manufactures it's the least effective
and the cheapest...

I hear you and can't disagree. But in this case, Landmark has chosen, I think, a Whirlpool branded whole-house filter housing. What media they provide, I'm not sure. But if the housing is standard, it gives the customer a lot of flexibility to use the media of their choice.

In my new demo coach, I will likely remove the new filter system Heartland has provided and store it for when we sell the coach in a couple years. I'll install my 2-stage system. It's worked pretty well for me. My first stage is a 5-micron sediment filter. My second stage is usually a carbon filter of some sort.

davebennington

RichnVinny and Dave,

Where would a better location be for the filter? I'd be happy to pass the feedback onto Tom.

Personally, I run a 2-stage system. Two whole-house filters are larger than I want to put in the UDC, so I put then behind the utility wall and made my wall easily removable witout tools. Also, I feel the filters will stay warmer behind the wall than they will in the storage bay or UDC.

What if a modification was made to the utility wall "at the factory" where it was easier to enter? And maybe bolt the filter to the back of the UDC where it was easier to reach in and service?

Looking forward to your ideas. Thanks guys.

I agree there is not enough room in the UDC for a filter without some major mods by Heartland. I believe Jim is on the right track by making it easier to get to the filter to change it would be a good idea. several of us have made a change that appears to work well.

dave