Water Heater - BH3670

StephenKatSea

Have just noticed that our water heater has began making a "running water" type of noise while operating on electric only. It continues to heat the water and appears to operate fine on electric or propane. But, this new "running water" noise actually awoke me last night. I fully expected to find pooling water beneath the water heater or behind the UDC in the garage. Pulled the panel and inspected the area and found it to be completely dry. Switched from electric to propane and the noise stopped. Back to electric and it starts again, slowly at first almost like a kettle just starting to boil. Then the noise continues. Checked the relief valve - it is fine and reseats itself after operation. This "running water" noise, while on electric, is not periodic it is continuous while operating in that mode. Would sure welcome any thoughts or suggestions on this.

jimtoo

The noise you are hearing is usually caused by the "anode rod" being used up or water that has a high mineral content that is reacting with the anode rod. If your unit is 1 year old I would replace the anode rod, or at least pull it out and see if anything is left of it and wash out the water heater while your at it. Check out this link to the wiki and see if it answers your question also. It is an easy replacement and is usually done about once a year. All electric water heaters have the anode rod and they do get used up due to the reaction of the electrical part of the water heater.

Jim M

jimtoo

Better find yourself another plumber,,, I don't think that is a good idea,,,, the anode rod is a sacrificial piece of metal to do it's duty by sacrificing itself instead of the tank or electrical heating element of the water heater. I would much rather put in a $12--13 dollar anode rod than a $200 to 400 water heater or what ever it is they cost.

Willym

Yes, leave the anode in, it will stop your tank corroding. Your plumber may be thinking of Atwood water heaters, they do not use anode rods, as they have an aluminum tank, not steel like suburban.

StephenKatSea

The noise you are hearing is usually caused by the "anode rod" being used up or water that has a high mineral content that is reacting with the anode rod. If your unit is 1 year old I would replace the anode rod, or at least pull it out and see if anything is left of it and wash out the water heater while your at it. Check out this link to the wiki and see if it answers your question also. It is an easy replacement and is usually done about once a year. All electric water heaters have the anode rod and they do get used up due to the reaction of the electrical part of the water heater.

Jim M
Jim -
Your suggestions all made perfect sense and yes, the 'link to wiki' was also helpful. I am curious though - If this noise is originating from just the anode rod, this rod obviously remains functional when the water heater is in the LP mode, yet the noise heard in electrical mode is not evident when the unit is in LP mode. So, is the noise actually coming from the anode or is it likely from the electrical heating element? In any case, the anode rod gets pulled and inspected/replaced tomorrow.
Thanks for Your Help,
Steve

jimtoo

Steve,,, I am told it is a reaction between the electrical heating element and the anode rod. (Something to do with electrons.) The anode is only being used during the electrical heating process which is internal electrical. The gas is external heat to the metal tank, not the water itself. The anode is softer (lead and aluminum I think), so it will sacrifice itself and deteriorate before the metal of the tank. Also the type of water plays some part ... I bought an electric water heater for home a few years ago and it was always making noise and putting gas or air in the lines....called manufacturer and they sent me a different anode rod and it no longer made the gas or noise. (The original rod cost 15 or so and the one they replaced it with has a price of about 55 bucks.) The manufacturer told me it depended on the type or quality and content of water as to the life of the anode rod.

Willym

Steve,,, I am told it is a reaction between the electrical heating element and the anode rod. (Something to do with electrons.) The anode is only being used during the electrical heating process which is internal electrical. The gas is external heat to the metal tank, not the water itself. The anode is softer (lead and aluminum I think), so it will sacrifice itself and deteriorate before the metal of the tank. Also the type of water plays some part ... I bought an electric water heater for home a few years ago and it was always making noise and putting gas or air in the lines....called manufacturer and they sent me a different anode rod and it no longer made the gas or noise. (The original rod cost 15 or so and the one they replaced it with has a price of about 55 bucks.) The manufacturer told me it depended on the type or quality and content of water as to the life of the anode rod.

I don't think that there is any direct reaction between electrical heating and the anode, but I am open to any information on this. The electric element is well insulated from the tank water, so no electrons should be escaping. The anode does it's thing (behaving as an anode) regardless of what kind of heat source is being used, and when no heating is taking place. The noise could be from two sources,

1. From localized boiling at the heating element, similar to the noise you sometimes get when turning an electric kettle on. Tiny steam bubbles are formed at the element surface (nucleate boiling) which break free and then collapse making a noise. Scale on the element may alter the boiling noise. The scale will usually break off and fall to the bottom of the tank. It's need to be flushed out regularly. If the tank thermostat has drifted high, causing higher water temperatures, more boiling will take place. If your water temperature is hotter than normal, then this maybe the cause of your noise.

2. As Jim suggests, from gas release from the water at the electric heating element. Depending on the water chemistry, e.g sulphur content, gas can be formed in the water with the anode material, especially magnesium, having an impact on how much is formed. The most common gas is hydrogen sulphide, smelling like rotten eggs, it is formed by "sulphate reducing bacteria" reacting with the normal sulphate salts found in most water supplies. The magnesium anode rod will increase this reaction. The gas will be driven out of solution as the water heats up especially at the electric element surface, increasing the normal boiling noise. The element surface runs at a higher temperature than the gas heating surface so gas release would be at a higher rate. Changing the anode rod as Jim suggests may fix this. If you have smelly water, try a aluminum or zinc rod - I think that the aluminum ones are fairly common. Changing your water source may eliminate the problem also.

StephenKatSea

Jim and Bill M. -
Thanks guys for your input and help. Bill, I understand that the 'sacrificial anode' does function regardless if the water heater is in Electric or LP mode. Its function is the "least noble metal". I realize that because of its composition/periodic table location it will "sacrifice" itself to depletion prior to expense of the more costly metals of the tank and various fittings. With your help, I believe the solution will likely be a simple replacement of the anode. Jim, your 'wikis' were very helpful for this procedure. Bill/Jim, there is no odor. So the H2S, 'rotten egg', situation is not a factor. Purchased the "Surburban" anode replacement today and the flush out hose attachment. Closed up our BH today, but will return in Feb. and make the anode change out and a good flush out of the tank, at that time. Betting that the problem will then be solved. I'll let you know. Thanks again guys. We continue to be very proud and satisfied owners of our BH. As always, an informative and very helpful Owner's Forum. - Steve

jbeletti

Sounds like we have some Chemical Engineers on the forum. Thank you for the explanations - very interesting.

Happy to hear the Wiki on Anode Rod was of some use. I had funny writing that one. Took pictures that same day, changing out the electric heating element. Maybe I can finish that wiki this year :)

Jim